Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ride height help. Rear passenger corner too low

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ride height help. Rear passenger corner too low

Ok, I installed Eibachs at all four corners and new shocks. It sits great everywhere except the rear passenger, where it rubs the tire. I took the eibach out of that spot and put a cut factory spring in its place to raise the rear passenger about a half inch (to make it driveable). This is better but still lower than the driver rear and is causing the fender lip to cut into my tire. It seems like any added height to the rear passenger then makes the rear driver side a lil higher too and I like where the driver side is at now. Is there any other way to get that rear passenger corner raised like .15"? It's very annoying and ruining my tire.

PS I know the rear passenger side is designed to sit a lil lower but I have one of those cars where it sits a lil too low. Im also aware I will prolly need to roll that fender a lil with a bat to help the cutting tire issue.

Last edited by cmking26; 03-19-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to realize that no matter what spring you put in, your full potential compression travel stays the same. So you will still hit the same point. The compression travel is defined by your bumpstops or whatever it hits first... usually bumpstops.

But.. modifying the spring, bumpstop, etc is a bandaid in my opinion and not the true solution. The true solution is allow the wheel/tire to fit during full compression travel. Is your rear end centered? Do you have an adjustable PHB? If no to both, that could help you fix the issue. How wide are the tires? If they are wider than 275.. then you venture into possible clearance issues. You might need some basic fender modification to clear the tire.

Compromising your suspension to make tires fit isn't really the right answer.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Im not trying to make tires fit, did you read my post? The problem is how much lower the rear passenger corner sits compared to the rest of the car. I understand I may need to roll the fender a little, that doesnt help with the rear passenger corner sitting lower than the rear drivers. Does that make sense?

I have an edelbrock panhard but it is not adjustable, I will check on how centered the rear end is.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmking26
Ok, I installed Eibachs at all four corners and new shocks. It sits great everywhere except the rear passenger, where it rubs the tire. I took the eibach out of that spot and put a cut factory spring in its place to raise the rear passenger about a half inch (to make it driveable). This is better but still lower than the driver rear and is causing the fender lip to cut into my tire. It seems like any added height to the rear passenger then makes the rear driver side a lil higher too and I like where the driver side is at now. Is there any other way to get that rear passenger corner raised like .15"? It's very annoying and ruining my tire.

PS I know the rear passenger side is designed to sit a lil lower but I have one of those cars where it sits a lil too low. Im also aware I will prolly need to roll that fender a lil with a bat to help the cutting tire issue.
Whoa, did I read this right?
You put your stock spring back in and its still lower than the other side with the lowering spring???
Damn got any pics of this? Im wondering if something is bent or broken...
Do you have a stock axle?
Old 03-19-2013, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Whoa, did I read this right?
You put your stock spring back in and its still lower than the other side with the lowering spring???
Damn got any pics of this? Im wondering if something is bent or broken...
Do you have a stock axle?
I put my stock CUT spring back in. I had cut them previously to drop the rear a little bit.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmking26
I put my stock CUT spring back in. I had cut them previously to drop the rear a little bit.
Aw damn, I read it wrong then... And I was ready to see some carnage too haha.
Are your eibachs used? Their springs are known for sagging (especially in the rear) for our cars with some age.
Like already said you should need an adjustable PHB in there to straiten out the axle under the body, that might help some.
What Z28bryan was saying is your issue isn't exactly the ride height because your tire is only rubbing when you hit a bump or take a turn, correct? Thats when the suspension compresses (and with the PHB geometry the rear axle will move side to side when moving up and down). What limits your travel is your bumpstops (ideally), your axle should hit the bump stop before your tire hits the fender. With a correct fitting wheel/tire combo this is what should happen.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

I get the whole tire fitment issue. That's not what I need any advice on. What pisses me off is the fact that my rear passenger fender sits a half inch above the tire while the driver rear fender sits almost 1.4" above the tire. I don't give a **** about the tire and it getting cut I under stand the problem there. I Do NOT like the uneven ride height in the rear from driver to passenger side. I'll try switching the springs from side to side, but I had his same problem when I cut my factory springs, it just sits like crap. Can you guys appreciate that?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well here's the thing, these cars tend to sit higher on the driver side than the passenger side. It varies car by car, and yours is a little bit on the upper end of that range (nearly an inch it sounds like if I'm reading correctly), but not abnormal.

I don't think anyone has really figured out exactly why it is that way. I guess you could try doing the heater hose mod on the passenger spring along with keeping the upper spring isolator to try to raise that side up a smidge. Might help.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM

I have the same problem on my 95. Almost an inch lower on the passenger side then the driver. I have stock springs however so I have no tire clearance issues thank god. From all my research on this issue (and I have done alot) there is no clean cut fix/sollution to the problem. The only thing I can think of is maybe somehow the car was jacked up from only the driver side at one point in its life and the body is slightly tweaked. I have the heater hose mod on both springs now. Guess ill just have to put that isolator back in the passenger side and say the hell with it.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:32 AM
On The Tree

Ok, Im gonna order the founders on car adjustable panhard to center the rear more. Then Ill look into adding heater hose or something to get the passenger side up a touch higher. What a pita this is.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I saw earlier today on a thread that someone with put an adjustable airbag inside of the spring, maybe look into something like that.

Quick Reply: Ride height help. Rear passenger corner too low