Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LG Motorsports Coilovers, Roll Bar and Seat Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LG Motorsports Coilovers, Roll Bar and Seat Install

As mentioned in my other 9"/LG coilover thread, I finally got these on. I don't have any after pictures of the car itself as I still need to adjust the ride height some.

Anyway, here's a few pictures of the coilovers uninstalled:

Here's some dirty, worn out FE4s (115k miles and 30ish track days). Sidenote: I hate having a driveway on an alley that is muddy half the time.:

And the coilovers on:

Initial thoughts and impressions. I love how these are put together. I took shitty pictures, but try to notice the nice bearing type uppers and lowers on all four. The ride around town is actually a lot smoother than before (obviously my worn out FE4s is a bad comparision, but still). At the same time, everything feels nice and firm. I should be out on the track the first weekend of April to really test them out.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

What spring rates? that, is the question.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, ordered up a couple Sparco Evo seats with Schroth Clubman harnesses.
http://www.sparcousa.com/product/evo
http://www.schrothracing.com/competi...an/clubman-III

Unless something comes up, I'll be taking my car to a Denver area shop (I'll provide info once everything is taken care of) for roll bar install. It will be to NASA CCR specs to add rigidity, safety and support the seat and harness install.

The Sparcos not including the brackets are 19 pounds each. While I haven't had a chance to weigh the stock seats yet (anyone know off the top of their head?), I'm thinking that the difference in weight will be more than enough to offset the tubing weight. Also, currently my helmet comes into contact with the headliner, so the lowered seating position should help with that as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
What spring rates? that, is the question.
That is a good question...

I accidently deleted the email conversations in which I was discussing this with LG before/during the ordering process and can't remember off the top of my head. Kinda embarrasing for me, but I'll have to look into it to confirm to not give bad info.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Launching!

I do not know exactly but when i read abut it a while ago i thought they were in the 60ish lb range
Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Picture of one of the actual seats:

Tight fit but good incentive to get/stay in shape.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Speaking of weights. The coilovers are .8 pounds lighter each in the front and 8.6 pounds lighter each in the rear. Bathroom scale method.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by xbladr
I do not know exactly but when i read abut it a while ago i thought they were in the 60ish lb range
Hmm. I would've thought they would be a bit more than that. When I pulled the seat from my Talon (1 way power leather), it was more than that. I'm going to pull the passenger seat tonight so I'll weigh it to confirm. There's no way to accidently trigger the airbag in it right? (ouch)

Any guesses at the weight of my car after the seats/roll bar? I want to go ahead and get it corner weighted soon as well.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Tight fit but good incentive to get in shape.
* Fixed
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

* Fixed
lol yeah. Working on getting back down to 10-12% body fat at the moment. The huge *** squatting has given me doesn't help the fit though.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Looks like a quality kit. LG puts together some great stuff. Love those seats. I ordered a set but only the US (bigger) version. Whose doing your 4 point roll bar? Weld in or bolt in?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hanksville Hotrods. Hank is the head tech for NASA Rocky Mountain so I've talked to him quite a bit and seen his work in a number of race and time trial cars. The current TT director went with a bolt in cage in his 325(?) BMW 4 door. Talking to him, he doesn't ever take it out due to the huge hassle and time involved.

I'm going with a weld in for that reason as well as the added handling benefit and the ability to accomodate a better fit. Guess I'm never selling this car now... With the way their value has dropped, the high mileage this one has and the rebuilt title (was a bargain five years ago when I bought it), there's not much to be gained by selling it anyway.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also, I post up some pics and info if I end up committing to this, but I'm probably going to end up going with the V2 brakes. With the NASA restructure of TT and getting rid of TTA, I'm pretty much being forced into the strictly power/weight format of TT3 with my minimal mods, so the calipers won't cost me there anymore. Plus, I really need to rebuild my stock calipers anyway and the rings of my UUC rotors are cracking and need to be replaced. Those considerations are helping me justify the cost to myself.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

How much were these?
Old 03-21-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
That is a good question...

I accidently deleted the email conversations in which I was discussing this with LG before/during the ordering process and can't remember off the top of my head. Kinda embarrasing for me, but I'll have to look into it to confirm to not give bad info.
700# F/ 400# rear
Old 03-22-2013, 12:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Onefast V
700# F/ 400# rear
im very glad to see this, i went with 450#springs on my rear starnges.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much were these?
Around $2700 if I recall correctly (I ordered them this past November). I'm not very helpful on specifics huh...

Originally Posted by Onefast V
700# F/ 400# rear
That's about what I was thinking they were. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Pulled the passenger seat out. I thought it might be easier to go out the back door having no seat back there or anything. Bad choice. Anyway, that thing was awkward to get out either way. Weighed in at 76.2 pounds. So it looks like with the seats (19 pounds each), side mount brackets (2.5 each) and whatever other brackets need to be made for mounting, I should be able to drop around 100 pounds off. Even with the four point bar, harnesses and such the weight savings should be decent.

Here's a few more poor quality pictures with the seat just sitting there. The brackets are doing their job in that box to prop it up. :/

Heavy's fire extinguisher mount has served me well for awhile, but it looks like it will be up for sale soon. That's the extinguisher laying on the floor in the one pic.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dropped off the car at the shop today. I have some clunking that needs to be addressed when I get it back. It sounds like it's sway bar related. I have the hotchkis sways and put Z06 endlinks on when I put the coilovers on. All were used though, so possibly bushing related?
Old 03-22-2013, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of course the other seat and harnesses arrive while I'm down in Denver dropping off the car. Oh well, I'll just take them down when I get a chance in my Jeep.

Here's one of the harnesses:

Also a couple 'bonus' pictures:

(I know the car is filthy so no need to comment on that...)

Quick Reply: LG Motorsports Coilovers, Roll Bar and Seat Install