Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Newbies Mechanic Journey

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Newbies Mechanic Journey

Hey guys..well ive decided that since ive got alot of time on my hands i am going to start learning how to fix my car up on my own.. what are some suggestions you guys have that i can do to start learning basic things and keep increasing my knowledge, one thing i do want to end up doing is changing the o2 sensors, fuel injectors, and fuel pump/sender..but that'll probably be a bit later. Ive got a wide array of tools so that isnt a problem & i also have jack stands and a jack so i can work under the car. Any suggestions? thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Haynes manual would probably be a recommended item to begin with. I need to start acquiring, I'd like to be able to do my own work as well.

Here it is from Haynes: http://www.haynes.com/products/productID/272

Last edited by LS-ONE_DAY; 03-27-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I do have one of those actually...its just confusing sometimes. XD
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

best thing is to research and learn from other ppls mistakes and get in there and get the experence and also learn from your own mistake cuz you will make many. Just start doing it. I wrech for a living so I have the knowledge but if I never did a job I just start ripping into it.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

You are going to want this: LS1 How To, good instructions with pictures of how to perform many routine tasks and modifications.

http://www.ls1howto.com/
Old 03-27-2013, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zmg00camaross
best thing is to research and learn from other ppls mistakes and get in there and get the experence and also learn from your own mistake cuz you will make many. Just start doing it. I wrech for a living so I have the knowledge but if I never did a job I just start ripping into it.
^^^^This.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

All these ^^^^ are great suggestions.

Here at LS1TECH (and other forum sites) the members have amassed huge amounts of experience and knowledge. Reading about what others have asked or figured out gives you an idea of what needs to be done to address certain issues...whether it's simply changing the oil or swapping the motor out they've done it and have info on it. As the others pointed out, there are also external "how to" sites (installuniversity is another) that offer a bunch of step-by-step instructions.

That being said, you can only gain so much from just reading about stuff. Zmg said it best...you need to just roll up your sleeves and rip into it. I'm no mechanic and doing things like replacing the water pump (PITA, btw) and installing long tube headers were all new and daunting tasks. Once you take that first bolt off, though, it becomes much easier. If you really want to get covered in grease and learn about your car, just start pulling crap off and practice putting it back on

As a side note:
Don't ever trust just a pair of jack stands with your life. If you ever need to get under the car you be sure to have extra supports there to stop a falling car, ie rhino ramps, jacks, spare rims...anything that will give you precious seconds to get out from under the car if it somehow tilts or slips. Personally, I feel safest with the car on ramps with jacks front and back.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:39 PM
12 Second Club

Always plan extra time for a job. unless its your job to work on cars, time is not money, its not a race.

And try to keep an extra stash of money for those inevitable "oh ****" moments.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

props for being willing to learn and do the work urself. always such a better sense of pride when u know u did it urself. i started when i was 16, and now 2 decades later i still love it. these cars are awsome to work on imo. like the others said, this site is great, and some others. my personal expirience is to always 'read twice cut once' so to speak. alot of these cars basics are easy once u take it apart and u will see how it works, and understand better how to put back together. ask alot of questions, yes some doushes will harass u for being inquisative, but screw them, i bet they asked the same once. good luck and keep posting results.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:24 AM
Teching In

Thank you for all the responses everyone! i had a productive day today, i didnt do so much as mechanical work but more on detail work. I painted my rims black and painted the calipers and the nuts that hold the rims white xD tomorrow well see how it comes out but i worked on it for over 7 hours!! and that was only the two front wheels, tomorrow i must do the back two. I am going to tackle a huge project probably next week which is changing the fuel pump & sending unit...any ideas on how to get started with this? thanks a bunch everyone! ill post pics of the rims tomorrow(:

Originally Posted by Microtech82
As a side note:
Don't ever trust just a pair of jack stands with your life. If you ever need to get under the car you be sure to have extra supports there to stop a falling car, ie rhino ramps, jacks, spare rims...anything that will give you precious seconds to get out from under the car if it somehow tilts or slips. Personally, I feel safest with the car on ramps with jacks front and back.
I left my car on jack stands on the front part of the car...i hope nothing will happen D:
Old 03-28-2013, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirebirdDisciple
I left my car on jack stands on the front part of the car...i hope nothing will happen D:
That's a little different. It sounds like you were just working on your wheels and brakes, and that's fine. What I meant was when you have your body under the car it's ALWAYS a good idea to have multiple things to stop the hunk of metal weighing thousands of pounds from crashing down on you. If you're not underneath but need it jacked up for things like changing tires or brakes then it's ok....if the car somehow falls it might scare the crap out of you and possibly damage the car, but it's overall safe. If you're physically under the car, however...that's when you want multiple safeguards in place. The car might LOOK secure on just a pair of stands but there is always the possibility of it rolling forward/backward or tilting, especially once you have a wrench on it and pulling or pushing hard to loosen a bolt that's stuck.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read read read and then read some more! I went from not changing my own oil to building an engine from the crank up just from ls1tech (learned majority from here), google searches for other ls forums, ls1howto, and also a written book on how to build ls engines i got off amazon...the biggest thing is if there's a part you want to upgrade or replace, research the heck out of it before you spend the money. read what others with the most similar setups to yours have done...good luck bro!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by anthony.fatica
...the biggest thing is if there's a part you want to upgrade or replace, research the heck out of it before you spend the money
^This
Old 03-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Thank you alot everyone! i really appreciate all the feedback...i will make sure i do everything you guys told me whenever i start a new project...one quick question, i finished my two front rims which came out good but i did the third o e and its drying right now, but i ran into a huge roadblock...two of the wheel nuts on the fourth wheel are super mest up...they were; basically rounded. i hammered in a new size will it most likely work?
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Go buy wheel nuts the same size. Your going to like it when you have one size socket but not the other in a emergency. Or replace them all.

Quick Reply: A Newbies Mechanic Journey