LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Kinda at a toss up on what I wanna do with car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2013, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kinda at a toss up on what I wanna do with car...

Right now I am at a toss up with what I want to do with my car. Car has bolt ons, 12 bolt, hot cam, mild head work. Anyway awhile back I was all about getting a huge cam and just throwing it in and saying hell with it just for that amazing sound.

Reason being two of my good buddys are driving LS1powered transams with huge cams and when we go to cruise ins the sound of their cars makes mine well.... not cool.

Now I know my car is way more street friendly than theirs. They rarely just go out and cruise just because of the way their cars handle on the streets.

Back to my point, would it be worth taking 1600 and getting the advanced induction head cam package on a stock 69k mile bottom end? As mentioned my car has had mild head work done and has the hotcam. Previous owner ( gregg97z) got the car to turn 12.01 @ 116 and felt it had more in it to get an high 11 slip.

1600 is a decent amount of cash just wondering for the money if the advanced induction package would be worth the gains.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

IMO it would be worth it. Have them spec you out a street friendly setup and match your stall and such to it and you'll get into the 11s, and have a nice sounding car that handles well in a dd form. Part of the issue is guys want too much out of a car. I can't count how many guys I've heard say something to the effect of "I want my car to run 10s but be daily driver friendly." If you really want to get into the 11s you could save about $1000 and just add a 100 shot of nitrous for track day purposes onto your current setup. Then you'd have the 11s your after and keep all your current street manners. It may be just me but I don't base how cool my car is by how many people think it "sounds awesome" at idle. I base it on what the time slip says. My buddy's LT1 camaro had a very mild cam that idled basically stock but on the 150 shot he put down 11.70 at 8000 DA. I would say his car is cooler than mine.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Considering what AI cars have been putting down lately absolutely. If you can swing it though go with the 200cc package - you won't regret it.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want your car to sound cool or go fast?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Both.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
TECH Regular

Huge cams are going to affect your cars street driveability. They will require larger stalls and such. Be careful what you wish for. You can get a pretty mild cam that lopes at idle. Open up the cut out and it'll sound mean and still be quick on the street. Give a couple experts like AI a call and see what they can spec out for you.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

with catalog overly wide LSA designed to try and save kids like yourself from yourself you need to get a huge cam to have a lopey idle and good sound. It is possible to get a milder cam on a tighter LSA that sounds just as good at idle but begins making torque early and drives well. If you call someone and say what you have said here though you might have a hard time getting the time of day much less being taken seriously about a couple thousand dollar purchase, remember gaskets, peripherals, fluids, maybe rockers and pushrods etc.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
Leave the car alone, pull brake booster line off intake. If it idles, it will sound mean.

Quick Reply: Kinda at a toss up on what I wanna do with car...