Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *UPDATE* on bubble rooftop panal that GM "fixed"

ok well let me start off with

ok now that is out of the way,
wait...

ok ok, well as you all know i had the paint bubbling deal that is normal or whatever....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/154170-pics-look-what-i-found-when-i-drying-my-car.html

ok well i had an appointment for Monday and they said they would have my car until Wednesday at noon.... so I have been having my b/f tote me around to school and work all week... I called Wednesday around 3 pm and they said it would be ready at 530... so they called me around 5 and said that it would be until Thursday at noon... I called today at 1130 and they said it would be until 2 so by this point I am already feeling irritated...

I go to pick it up, and originally I was supposed to pay $220... then they called and it changed to $252, then when i walk in the door, the guy says that the price has again jumped to $293... i am highly pissed because i was told that I would pay a set price of $220... well whatever i agree to pay it because i want the car back already...

I go outside to look at the roof and there are two scratches RIGHT by the roofpanal... then i look all around my car and see orangish brown stuff that looks like overspray of some sort ALL over the car... on the hood, spoiler and both sides... it has a rough texture almost like sand... and imagine this it was everywhere but on the new roof panal...

i walk in there and ask the guy to come here and show him all of this, and he says oh the scratches are "no big deal" and i am about to tell him to but i refrain and then i point out what looked like overspray and he tells me that it is rail dust, and i don't even know what the hell that is!! but again because it wasn't there when i brought it in...he tells me to get some claybar and apply it to the WHOLE CAR!! do you know how long that **** would take???

then as i get home, i look and there are little scratches where it looks as if someone was leaning on the car to buff it out and had on a belt buckle!! so i bring it to a collision place here in town to tell me what he thought about that overspray and he told me it looks like it is from someone grinding on the car!!

well hmmm.... imagine that!! i am so pissed.. i have called the chevy customer service place and they haven't called back yet, but if they give any bullshit this time, we are calling the attorney, because it is we even had to pay in the beginning!!

UGH, ok i am better just thought I would share
Old 04-22-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

That really sucks! I've got bubbles on my B-pillar and I'm afraid of taking it to the dealer. I'll probably take it somewhere else. Heck, I might even take it to MEXICO! ; a shop down there did some really good work on my past car and it was dirt cheap too. And I don't just trust my SH*T to anyone, but these guys in Mexico were impressive IMO.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm getting mine done soon. The roof panel is to be painted first, then I will make an appointment to have the finished panel installed. Supposedly I will be in, and out of the dealership in 1-business day.

My car is still under warranty, so I don't expect to fork out any dough. I hope I don't run into the same kind of problems you had.

Please keep us updated.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my car to the dealer today for this crap. They're supposed to get back to me. Got me wondering if I should just leave it alone now.
Old 04-22-2004, 05:55 PM
10 Second Club

You BETTER get something free for this!!!
Old 04-22-2004, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to hear about this.

My GM dealer wouldn't budge on covering any of the cost for my roof repair out of the warranty period. I ended up going to a great shop (Legendary Motor Car of Dream Car Garage TV fame), and had them do the work. It was a little pricey but they did a fantastic job. Even though I was upset with GM & my dealer, in a way I was glad I had it done by a shop that really cared about my SS.

LMC Roof Repair
Old 04-23-2004, 09:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I give you an A+ for smilie integration... wait no not really.

What dealership was this? How was there a belt buckle scrape from someone leaning on the car to buff it out on the roof panel? What are you paying for... thought this was under warrenty? I would not have driven the car off the lot if there was as much wrong with it as you say. I would have called the Body Shop Manager over and made him do something about it and if that didn't work start working your way up the pecking order. I definitely would not take it elsewhere to get fixed. Feet would have been broken off in asses.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:25 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

That's terrible. You go to get one thing fixed and end up with new problems. I'm sorry to hear that....good luck with whatever comes out of it all.
Old 04-23-2004, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i went up there today and they said they wouldn't paint my car but they would buff everything out....
Old 04-23-2004, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I had the same problem right before my car was out of warranty. However, the dealership was in the process of moving to their new site and wanted me to wait until they had moved. I had them write it up on my copy of the invoice and went on my way.

After they had relocated and before the warranty ran out, I took the car into them for their inspection. They repainted the b-pillar but the bubbles came right back within a few days.

They then ordered a new b-pillar (from overseas they claim). My cars warranty expired before it arrived - a couple of weeks. They replaced it but I wasn't happy with the placement of it on the pillar. I b!tched to Chevy customer service and they ordered me a second one. I wouldn't allow them to glue it on without myself and a friend who's been in the body shop business for almost 30 years. We moved it around until I was happy.

However, it looked like it had orange peel on it once it was clean. So they had their '#1 man' wetsand, buff, and polish it. After that it looked f'in awesom. So far no new bubbles in the past 60K miles.

I guess I got lucky. I'd keep complaining to Chevy customer service and if you don't like the answers the grunts in the body shop are giving you, escalate it within the dealership. I believe the second-in-command called me back from the dealership, and every chance I had I had her involved in the process. Apparently she could throw her weight around pretty well.

Best of Luck!

P.S. Claying the car doesn't take that long. Swing by and we'll take car of it for ya
Old 04-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Teching In

If it really is overspray then buffing it out would involve removing some of the clear coat. I believe the "feet in ***" comment is appropriate in this situation.
Sorry to hear