Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Whining from one speaker

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Whining from one speaker

Have had this issue for a year or so now, and it's finally starting to annoy me to the point where I need to resolve it. My passenger side door speaker will sometimes whine and crackle when I start the car. Other times when I start the car, it will be fine. When it does act up, it will sound like crap and make a whine akin to the sound of a supercharger, rising and falling with engine RPM. It does eventually go away after 5-10 minutes of driving, and then it will be fine as long as I drive. If I turn the car off and turn the car back on, it can come back though for a few minutes. I have the factory monsoon system, and the only thing aftermarket is a 7" Pioneer double din.

Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone?
Old 04-12-2013, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same issue on my drivers side... Right now I am changing the speaker as it has always had the sound like it was blown. The whine is new, like in the past year. I will let you know if anything changes with the new speaker...

Mine is def. radio interference, as it goes away when I turn off my head unit. If it isn't fixed, I'm tempted to try my stock radio and see if the sound leaves....
Old 04-15-2013, 01:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by aerojt
I have the same issue on my drivers side... Right now I am changing the speaker as it has always had the sound like it was blown. The whine is new, like in the past year. I will let you know if anything changes with the new speaker...

Mine is def. radio interference, as it goes away when I turn off my head unit. If it isn't fixed, I'm tempted to try my stock radio and see if the sound leaves....
Are you running a 4 channel amp?
Old 04-15-2013, 01:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cascadesys
Have had this issue for a year or so now, and it's finally starting to annoy me to the point where I need to resolve it. My passenger side door speaker will sometimes whine and crackle when I start the car. Other times when I start the car, it will be fine. When it does act up, it will sound like crap and make a whine akin to the sound of a supercharger, rising and falling with engine RPM. It does eventually go away after 5-10 minutes of driving, and then it will be fine as long as I drive. If I turn the car off and turn the car back on, it can come back though for a few minutes. I have the factory monsoon system, and the only thing aftermarket is a 7" Pioneer double din.

Any help would be GREATLY apprecaited!
I have seen loose stereo connections pickup noise from the electrical system of the car and transmit it to a speaker. Might want to pull out the headunit and check all your connections for loose wires etc.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

My speaker has been changed and so far I have no whine or radio feedback in that speaker. I tried it with the car on and off... Hopefully it stays that way.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well after driving, the whine comes and goes. Not sure if I need to ground my stereo better or what... Is there a factory ground? Any ideas?
Old 04-30-2013, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar issue (I tried swapping head units and stock amps) and the issue was still there...turned out to be a loose connection at the battery cables which was allowing electrical noise to enter the audio system, so I'd suggest checking/tightening your battery cables...worth a shot.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, I'll look into it...
Old 05-15-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Did a couple things to try and fix this. First off I pulled out my radio, unplugged everything, kind of organized the wires differently, moved stuff around back there, etc.

Next I did a custom battery hold down mount, this prevent my optima from moving left/right or front/back. I also put some caps on the top post connectors, as they could have been contacting the radiator and/or the new battery bracket.

I've driven about 50 miles and no whine yet... Hopefully one of these things helped, we'll see though!

Quick Reply: Whining from one speaker