Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Inherited a 2002 CETA

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inherited a 2002 CETA

Hi. I am very new to the LS1 community. My father had a few Trans Am's over the years, his final version was a 2002 Collectors Edition that he bought brand new. It became mine a few months ago. It hasn't been out of the garage in 4+ years and only has 1284 miles, never out in the snow or rain. This particular car is the T-top version with a 6 speed manual transmission. The only option on the car is the Hurst Short-Throw. I've joined this community to hopefully get some advice on selling the car. I don't believe in holding on to something like this and not being able to enjoy it, cars are made to drive in my opinion. However, I do realize this car should belong with someone that can hold onto it and keep the mileage relatively close to the current total. Anyway, that's the short version. I am happy to talk about it with anyone that is interested in finding out more of the story and hopefully I can get some solid advice here. My goal is to have it started and backed out of the garage in the next few days so I can snap a few pictures to share.

Last edited by MyCN18; 04-16-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:29 PM

By the way, I know enough about mechanics to be dangerous. Is there anything I should do to prepare a car to be started that has been sitting for so long? Besides take it off the jacks and put a new battery in it, the obvious.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car has not been started for a while, here is what I'd do.

1. Fuel pressure tester: Test fuel pressure, around 40$ for a tester.
2. Change the oil.
3. Check the voltage on the battery, charge if necessary.
4. Start it up.
5. Upload pics.

Originally Posted by MyCN18
By the way, I know enough about mechanics to be dangerous. Is there anything I should do to prepare a car to be started that has been sitting for so long? Besides take it off the jacks and put a new battery in it, the obvious.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

WOW that is crazy in a good way
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM

I've never even been in the car. He was very particular about it. I feel a little weird about even backing it out of the garage but I know it has to be done to get good pictures of it for the listing when I sell it. I've only seen it on the road once and we lived in the same town, less than a few miles from each other. He drove it over to my house once. Obviously it was on the road more times than that but with only 1284 miles on it, not too many!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

I don't know what anybody else thinks but I would take the fuel pump relay out and turn it over 5 seconds stop and do it two more times to get the oil primed and lubing the engine. so that it has a head start when it does start.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:41 AM

Her she is. Charged the Battery, checked the fluids, started it up, rolled it out, took pictures and put it right back in it's place. There she will stay. Had exactly the amount of miles on it as I thought it did. And she has a very sexy sound.
Attached Thumbnails Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00195.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00171.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00184.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00181.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00200.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 AM

Here are a few more....
Attached Thumbnails Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00185.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00183.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00177.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00187.jpg   Inherited a 2002 CETA-dsc00194.jpg  

Old 04-18-2013, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn dude, you got yourself a real piece of something there. Insanely low milage. This is a rare beauty, i think only like 842 were made with the t-top and 6-spd. I doubt there are many left with that few of miles. Be very careful with it man... that sure is something if you ask me. I'd never be able to sell that thing if I was in your shoes.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Wow, great looking car indeed. I bet the feeling is bittersweet, but I can understand why you'd want to sell it. That car with that low of miles will sell pretty high.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by 2GOOD4U
Wow, great looking car indeed. I bet the feeling is bittersweet, but I can understand why you'd want to sell it. That car with that low of miles will sell pretty high.
Research so far (on the internet) has the price all over the board. There has been one on eBay the past several weeks I've been watching that only has 230 miles on it. It's been bid up to $25k but that number didn't meet the reserve. There are other out there closer to 10,000 miles and they are asking in the mid 30's. It's hard to know what I can reasonably get for this car? It's such a niche market, and even more narrowed down since it's on the investment side of the niche. I can't imagine someone looking for a daily driver is going to buy this one. There is a Mecum auction here in Indy in a few weeks, I don't have plans on putting in the auction but I am going to throw it as "for-sale" out there a couple different places . My hopes are someone in town for the auction, with cash, sees it.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:07 AM
Teching In

I would love to have a car like this. It would be like buying a brand new Fbody.. I've got a heated barn to store it.. but no cash at the moment. Beautiful car man..
Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

This is a beautiful car and in this day and age, probably a 1 of 1 that's like brand new. Please whatever you do, take care of it and don't sell it to some jackass that might screw it up.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MyCN18
Research so far (on the internet) has the price all over the board. There has been one on eBay the past several weeks I've been watching that only has 230 miles on it. It's been bid up to $25k but that number didn't meet the reserve. There are other out there closer to 10,000 miles and they are asking in the mid 30's. It's hard to know what I can reasonably get for this car? It's such a niche market, and even more narrowed down since it's on the investment side of the niche. I can't imagine someone looking for a daily driver is going to buy this one. There is a Mecum auction here in Indy in a few weeks, I don't have plans on putting in the auction but I am going to throw it as "for-sale" out there a couple different places . My hopes are someone in town for the auction, with cash, sees it.
I think your car could get anywhere from $27-$32k from the right investor. Do you have all the original paperwork, manuals, window sticker, etc? Can you park the car near the auction with a forsale sign in the window? Maybe have the original window sticker on the window, etc?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! What an inheritance! You could start by putting it up for sale on this site, and maybe autotrader to test the waters. If it happens to sell for what you wanted, then that's awesome. Then you could try ebay and the high end auctions.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 2GOOD4U
I think your car could get anywhere from $27-$32k from the right investor. Do you have all the original paperwork, manuals, window sticker, etc? Can you park the car near the auction with a forsale sign in the window? Maybe have the original window sticker on the window, etc?
I have all the original stuff that came with the car. I can't say for sure if the window sticker is still around, I haven't really looked for it but now that you've asked I will look for it. I hate to drive it down to the Mecum auction because it's about 25 miles from my house, 50 round trip. I would like to keep the miles at the current total if possible and every minute it is out the garage is a minute that something could happen to it. It will take some major, major assurances for a potential buyer to get me to allow it out of the driveway. I will definitely take some pictures of the paperwork and add it to my listing. I transferred the title into my name last week so it is less paperwork to hand over to the new owner. If I would have left it in his name I would have had to give a death certificate and letter of administration along with the title for the next person to get it titled. Now that I have that checked off my list I'm going to get more serious about marketing it. I would love to list it on this site but I have to get to 50 posts first. That $27-32k sounds good. I'd hand over the title for $30k today!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bullitt117
don't sell it to some jackass that might screw it up.
I hope it ends up with someone who will treat it as a museum piece. I won't lose any sleep either way if I get it sold for what it's worth. I have a feeling the price will dictate the outcome. I can't imagine someone paying $30k for a 2002 is going to use it as a daily driver.

Last edited by MyCN18; 04-22-2013 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:47 PM
10 Second Club

It's a beauty and the prices these guys are giving dont sound to be off the mark. It's just going to take the right buyer. Not everyone likes the color and priced that high might be a tough sale. Most folks aren't looking to spend that kind of money on an 11 year old car. Listing it on sites like this will help you find the right market for that car.

Get 50 posts and you can list it here. I think that's going to be your best bet.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Was the car on jackstands with the suspension free hanging? If so, you'll want to check out the shocks and make sure they aren't shot.

Congrats on the car. I'd say $25-30k depending upon documentation.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Welcome to the forum! Wow what an incredible low mileage car you have there. All the best with figuring out how to sell it.

Cars like yours, super low mileage and hoped to be a collector piece one day but aren't quite old enough to be considered that yet can really take a hit in the marketplace, so I'd suggest putting a reserve on it if you have a certain number in mind. If I were you though I'd keep it the way it is for another 5-10 years when it'll finally reach collector status.

Quick Reply: Inherited a 2002 CETA