Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My turbo dream!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 09:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My turbo dream!

Just picked up a 5.3 after three years of debating and now I'm going to rering it, cam it and slap a turbo on it BUT... I'm sticking with a carb most likely. Here's my questions!
What cam has a good sound and power along with it?
What turbo makes good power but won't "break" my wallet?
Opinions on truck intake,buy a computer/harness kit vs carb?

I need some different views on what you would do. I don't have a computer or harness for the engine or it would be a no brainer but I'm trying to do this on a budget!!

Oh and also it's an 04 5.3 from a gmc 1500 and what all parts interchange with what motors?

Last edited by Shortbed70; 04-22-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ugh its break not brake!!!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:30 PM
Teching In

Sorry my phone likes to change things to the last thing close to that I typed... Do you have any suggestions maybe on more of my motor vs my word spelling?
Old 04-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Launching!

Haha that smart *** comment at the end gets you no where fast...I personally think your over your head to jump into a turbo build right now judging by your questions above... you should do some serious research and find out what goals you have for this thing...there are some corners you just don't want to cut on a "budget" build...nobody can help you until you know what you want to do with this project
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

456s is the wrong gear for a turbo setup, if you where EFi i would say use a ls6 or ls7 camshaft but with a carb i don't know.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 PM
Teching In

64 Chevy swb truck 4.10-4.56 gear,26-10.5 tire, glide with brake, 3600# dressed non street truck... Stock bottom end motor 5.3 706 heads...
Interested in a cam that will support a turbo later. What turbo works best on smaller displacement motor like mine that will build under 10psi but have a fairly quick spool up... I've read that a 76mm works well but I would like knowledge before I buy something that's why I'm asking.

Keep in mind this is a carb application blow through.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

First of all, Gonoma definitely started being a dick but he is right, you need to do some research. You're not going to have ptv issues with any cam that will work decently with a turbo on a budget build. DO NOT BASE WHAT CAM YOU GET ON SOUND. That is a horrible factor in choosing a cam, especially in a turbo application. As far as what turbo, that depends on your budget and goals. You can get a gt45 for $300 or a s475 for $650-$850. I wouldn't use an on3 or master power turbo on a strip truck because they have very small turbines. You need to decide on a turbo before you choose a cam, not the other way around. You need a decent size turbine to run a cam with some overlap without running into excessive backpressure. The gears you mentioned are way off, especially with a 26 inch tire, not sure why you wouldn't run a 28 at least. With a 26, you'll want around 3.27's. Carb or efi will end up about the same price either way, if done right. Blowthrough carbs are expensive
Old 04-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by one fast zo6
456s is the wrong gear for a turbo setup, if you where EFi i would say use a ls6 or ls7 camshaft but with a carb i don't know.
Thanks I've looked into the 6-7 shafts before and they are cheaper I'm also unsure on the carb. I still need to figure it up as far as between the two and see if I can get all my computer/harness/etc for fi and compare.. Sorry about the previous post I was upset that I get sarcasm instead of an answer or a question as to what will help give an answer like you have so thank you. I'm still in the research stage.... And learning! If it was a gen 1-2 engine I wouldn't be asking
Old 04-23-2013, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Btw I'm only running 1/8 mile.. I'm not wanting just a sound good cam like a thumper just want it to have an aggressive tone to it not like a tractor. I'm still researching just want a better idea on where to look and now I have a starting point. Thanks guys for the insight like I said I'm new to the ls craze but know how deadly they can be. I also have a very good carb guy but I'm still weighing my options...
Old 04-23-2013, 07:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will tell you what, in your situation sticking with the efi and grabbing the new Megasquirt 3 based ecu with harness for $700 would probably work out pretty sweet. It may sound like a lot, but it really is a pretty trick ecu for the money and since you have a glide, you have no need for a trans controller. They even have an auto tune feature that apparently works very well.

As for the turbo, I am a big fan of the Borg Warner turbos for the money. $700 for a turbo that will make 800+ hp reliably is a steal imho.

For the cam, either stick with what you got til you can afford a good one speced by Martin at Tick or LilJohn (who I used) or shoot one of those two a pm.

Hope this helps and congrats on your purchase! I think you will enjoy it.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sarg is right mega squirt 3 looks to be the way to go . I have microsquirt 2 controlling my Fairmont and I love it. I learned turbo setups on a blowthru carb they work great but can get expensive. Just take it slow and do your research but I personally would run the 5.3 bone stock and go have fun and learn as you go but everybody's different I learned the hard way I didn't have anybody to ask .
Old 04-23-2013, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

Ah there is always someone to ask! I regularly try to help out folks that are new despite their level of searching expertise as we were all there once. Excited, new, maybe a little premature FI-LS crazy! Heck I started into the world of all things LS about 2 years ago. I have since learned a great deal about these motors from folks that would actually talk to you and try to help rather than just saying "Search NOOB!" which does not help either that person or anyone else that may find that result in a search. So I always try to at least throw something out there for not only that person, but also futures that might read that thread.

Personally, I think that little 4.8 is going to be a hoot!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your parts list sound a little conflicting. my 68 is running a stock 5.3 with the factory efi and intake. it really isn't that bad. I don't know why people think it is such a big deal and just slap a carb on it and lose one of the main advantages of going with an ls motor, especially for boost. it cost me $150 and about 4 hours to do the factory efi setup in mine and works great. put boost to it and haven't really had to change much. as far as the gears you would be best to stay with higher gears like 3.08s or such. I have 3.73's in mine and really wish I had something higher. anything lower than that is useless on a turbo setup
Old 04-23-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Eh, yes and no. He is doing an 1/8 mile car, so it could be all right. I just don't have enough experience to really say what would be best for an 1/8 mile car. It is also going to depend on the gearing in that glide too!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am mostly focused on 1/8th mile and some street duty. my 3.73s worked great n/a and on nitrous. I have yet to test the turbo setup at the track but I know on the street they wrap up rpm VERY fast especially in boost and actually is hard to really build boost until getting into high gear. which can help or hurt depending on traction
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 PM
Teching In

I ran both a 3.73 and a 4.10 in my turbo, blow through, truck last year and saw almost no difference in the 1/8th - (I actually ran a touch quicker and faster with the 4.10). IMO people put too much emphasis on (numerically) low gears in turbo cars. If your not blowing the tires off or running out of gear on the top end roll with it.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys this is the info I was referring to personal experience with parts.. I am goin to stay with FI because its almost the same price for carb but I need a new fuel pump and I have fuel line from an old race setup... Going to possibly put a gasket kit in it to get it back together and then see where I'm at cash wise. I am really wanting to just drop in and go for this year but don't know if my job or money will allow. Thanks again for all the info now time for more hunting parts/info. Thanks again guys for not busting my ***** too bad...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

A guy named Denmah on here started a list of his commonly used (cheap) parts for turbo builds. Many others have contributed and it has some helpful stuff in there.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
11 Second Club

I'm with Sarg.... Borg Warner turbos are nice units.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Teching In

If I get my old truck back I'm gonna put the motor in and see how it performs with the 3.73 and spool that's in it. I still think its gonna need more gear but I guess we will see. All the racers I know say I'm wasting my time with a gear that short in the 8th...

Quick Reply: My turbo dream!