PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use TTS Datamaster on a 95 LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use TTS Datamaster on a 95 LT1?

I've tried to use tunerpro, and failed. I've got the moates aldu1 and Cabl2 combo with that block box. I've downloaded the datamaster trial version. And ive got the USB driver set up for the cord. Tunerpro shouldve connected. I'm only trying to read DTC's here... Just wondering if I need anything I may not have to get it to connect. It seems less involved than tunerpro.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use it a lot, what do you need?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

About everybody I deal with uses it. It's kinda the standard. Never an issue.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the top right there are some good help files.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
I use it a lot, what do you need?
Im asking if i can connect and pull DTC'S at this point? The version is EE so I'm assuming by seeing that I don't need to import an .xdf file, like I would in tunerpro. So I may have to assign the USB port and b ready to go then? I dont know the steps to take to get the program use ready. (for codes not tuning) like I said, I've got the cable, downloaded the driver from moates so it can recognize the cable, and that's about it for now. I opened the program and looked at one of the .bin files they had for reference and to get a feel for the interface.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

well im getting closer to finding out why i havent been able to connect to the car.

Datamaster was kind enough to tell me when i tested connection to say it found the cable and was good there, but was unable to find a PCM. it suggested that maybe i have the wrong version for my PCM but that is not the case. it alternatively said that it could be the connection. bingo. so i have a connection problem somewhere from the end of my cable to the PCM, too bad i only have 19 tries left.

it is an understatement to say my car has been tampered with. i guess ill be doing some wiring work. thank god shbox is here for me. lol

i have a friend with a 95 as well and will try to connect to his car, unfortunately, his is not a gem of a variable as well, and his has been tampered with as well i know, but hopefully i can connect and establish it is indeed the car.

something ive been considering is could the PCM lock me out? i mean if i trace all wires to find no problem... is there a possibility that the PCM is the cause? idk if that would be a security measure that PCMforless would use to keep me from screwing up their work? lol
Old 04-30-2013, 08:37 PM
9-Second Club

Your tuner can not lock out a scanner. You probably have the same issue many older cars have: a dirty ALDL port. It will look OK, but not be clean enough for a good connection. We are talking very low voltages. Pick up a spray can of electrical contact cleaner at Radio Shack. Have your cable handy, hold a rag under the ALDL port, spray the cleaner in the port. Then plug & unplug your new cable several times. Wipe up the excess cleaner & try to connect again. I see this all the time with older vehicles. My old '95 Camaro R&D mule needed that about any time I plugged one of my Tech2s or laptop in. Usually sat for weeks between using it.
Datamaster only scans & logs. Not for tuning. Tunercat is best for that.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
Your tuner can not lock out a scanner. You probably have the same issue many older cars have: a dirty ALDL port. It will look OK, but not be clean enough for a good connection. We are talking very low voltages. Pick up a spray can of electrical contact cleaner at Radio Shack. Have your cable handy, hold a rag under the ALDL port, spray the cleaner in the port. Then plug & unplug your new cable several times. Wipe up the excess cleaner & try to connect again. I see this all the time with older vehicles. My old '95 Camaro R&D mule needed that about any time I plugged one of my Tech2s or laptop in. Usually sat for weeks between using it.
Datamaster only scans & logs. Not for tuning. Tunercat is best for that.
Well I took carb cleaner to it (all I had around) then shot a little WD40 after that failed. Worked the prongs a bit. But I'll take the port out and get a wire brush on it and come chemical cleaner, then retry.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
9-Second Club

You surely have it clean enough. Sometimes you can just plug & unplug the cable several times to scrape it clean. I wouldn't use WD40.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Ed Wright
I wouldn't use WD40.
^ only time in history that may've been said

honestly, im running out of solutions and i want to try it before i have to go pulling back wires. attempting it on another car may give me some hints as well...

would it be hazardous to use a test light hooked up to 12+ from battery to see if the grounds in the port are working?

while im thinking about it would my cable and tunerpro rt work to read DTC's on an OBD2 1999 trans am? i know that datamaster will not seeing as how the program is specifically for the $EE code cars, but if i get the right .xdf and .adx files imported into tunerpro?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:16 AM
9-Second Club

No, they won't work on OBDII.

Don't suppose a the previous ownner put a '96 or '97 OBDII PCM in it, do you? Check the service number on the PCM's label. Last four digits should be 8051.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 05-01-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

They are 8051. It's the right computer. I'm going to upload a pic... This is what data master says on my, and my buddies car which I just tried. After cleaning the port throughly. >:/
Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

Old 05-01-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the switch on the box in the open position?
Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try freescan first, easier to setup and 100% free. Once you have it set to read DTC's you can use Datamaster

Freescan has a lot of features. Datamaster is much better but you have to pay
Old 05-01-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sreve
Is the switch on the box in the open position?
tried both, open and 10k... which should it be on though?

seeing as how i got the same result with 2 cars that have clean ports on them, i cant help but think ive missed something on the technological end of this puzzle? datamaster and the cable with the usb driver installed. - all i need right?

is there a possibility the driver installed incorrectly? ...i had to download it on another computer (didnt install) and transport it to the one i am using because the security settings were being a bitch and i couldnt find the setting to override it and let me download the driver. it never gave me any alert that it had finished either... just showed the black script command box with the white lettering doing its thing installing, then went away on its own and never came back... but it detects the cable so i assumed it worked? i hate windows platform with a passion...
Old 05-02-2013, 04:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you look at it in device manager?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sreve
Did you look at it in device manager?
Yeah. FDTI or something like that, com3, it all looked good to me but I wouldn't know if something was out of place unless specifically instructed otherwise.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

A yellow question mark in front of it would be a problem.

The switch should be in the open position

Craig Moates stands behind what he sells and even answers the phone
He walked me thru some problems I had with a Road Runner.

Quick Reply: Anyone use TTS Datamaster on a 95 LT1?