Sponsored by:

set up question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default set up question

Hello all!

New to the site and just recently bought a 2000 SS, with some mods on it that include Comp Cam 54-444-11, SLP LM1,4.10s, hurst short throw.

It's been quite awhile since I've been in the game as I've had two other Camaros back in the day.

Would like some opinions on whether or not this cam is too "aggressive" (esp with the 4.10 setup) for a DD that will prob never see the track. The car has a bit of a backpressure pop when I get in a bit that drives me crazy. Would a good set of headers help with this or do I need to swap the cam out for one with the lesser LSA and is better suited for the street. The car idles nice and smooth and drives good. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What are the specs on this cam, and what does your complete exhaust setup consist of right now?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
What are the specs on this cam, and what does your complete exhaust setup consist of right now?

stock heads, headers, SLP LM1 exhaust
Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

That cam is not too aggressive at all, and should work great with stock heads and 4.10 gears. As far as the popping sound it could be one of several things, but being that you have headers, ORY, and LM 1 (same exact setup as me) could be part of the problem right there lol. It's a very loud and raspy setup in general, then you throw a cam in the mix, and it gets worse...I should know lol
Old 05-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
That cam is not too aggressive at all, and should work great with stock heads and 4.10 gears. As far as the popping sound it could be one of several things, but being that you have headers, ORY, and LM 1 (same exact setup as me) could be part of the problem right there lol. It's a very loud and raspy setup in general, then you throw a cam in the mix, and it gets worse...I should know lol
Thanks for the reply! I didn't word it very good, but I meant that I have the stock headers as well. The exhaust is loud indeed, but I do like the sound of it. The cam does work really well from what I can tell. My other Camaros really just had simple bolt on stuff. This is my first car with any internal mods, so I don't really know any of the road manners it should have.

How have you like some of the other mods you've done? I'm looking to open mine up alittle more and am curious of how your setup has worked for you. Again, thanks for your help!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

If you are on stock manifolds some long tubes would be a greAt help
Old 05-04-2013, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some long tubes quick. That engine needs to breathe.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SnakeEaterSS
Thanks for the reply! I didn't word it very good, but I meant that I have the stock headers as well. The exhaust is loud indeed, but I do like the sound of it. The cam does work really well from what I can tell. My other Camaros really just had simple bolt on stuff. This is my first car with any internal mods, so I don't really know any of the road manners it should have.

How have you like some of the other mods you've done? I'm looking to open mine up alittle more and am curious of how your setup has worked for you. Again, thanks for your help!
Well my car came with all the mods that you see in my signature. Coming from a full bolt ons and cammed 2004 Mustang Gt with a 100 shot, I can honestly say going with a HCI LS1 was the best decision I ever made lol! Do some long tubes and a decent set of heads, and you will have a very strong n/a motor that will really kick some *** lol
Old 05-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info everyone, getting the Pacesetter coated LTs and a dyno/tune done on Monday. Hopefully this will open this car up some and smooth out the exhaust note.

Anyone know how much of a difference in the drone effect with the LM2s? I'm even considering swapping to a Magnaflow system as well. I want some sound, but damn if the LM1 is kinda over the top for my taste abit. The Flowmaster exhaust I had on my 94 LT1 car sounded great to me. Granted that car was stock minus some minor bolt ons. I hear other cammed LS1s on youtube and they seem to have a more smoother exhaust tone than mine. Idk
Old 05-06-2013, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ds98formula
If you are on stock manifolds some long tubes would be a greAt help
+1

I had some embarrasing popping when letting off the gas after getting on the car or downshifting and engine braking. I threw on some long tubes and an ORY and the popping disappeared immediately.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

So the car made 354hp @6000rpm before the fuel pump started to fade. Was told I could be up in the 380 range with a new one and a retune. Also decided that I want rid of the SLP LM1 after getting the LTs/ORY put on. WAY too much rasp for my liking. They had a few cars there that had the Magnaflow on them and I liked the way they sounded w LTs

Quick Reply: set up question