Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Getting air out of power steering system

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Getting air out of power steering system

Hey dudes, hopefully a simple question. My power steering was groaning so I thought I'd better replace the fluid. I dropped the PS fluid cooler, drained oil from the lines AND tipped the cooler over to get fluid out of there. I then reconnected everything and put fluid in the reservoir. I didn't drain tht much and it didn't take that much. Started the car with te reservoir cap off and turned the wheel a few times. Came out to find it had overflowed the reservoir slightly. The fluid coming out had tiny bubbles in it. I guess I have a lot of air in the system. How do I get it out?

Thanks dudes!
Old 05-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...m-noise-2.html

I'm post #20

Was a pain to bleed.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks. I'm hearing a loud pfft sound every time I turn off the engine. Is that the pressure relief valve on the power steering system? I know there is one, just don't know how it works.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Bleeding the power steering system? It is not like the brakes. If you're changing the fluid it is simple. Drain the fluid, however you deem necessary, and refill the res with new fluid. Start the car and refill res immediatly as it will for sure go dry quickly. It is better to have a helper here so they can be in the car and you can be ready with fluid. Then turn the wheel lock to lock (all the way left, then all the way right) a couple of times a viola. Done. Thats is. There is no magic ju ju or no more of a procedure than that. If you have air in the system the wheels will not turn. It is a hydraulic system. Done.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:43 PM
Launching!

I guess I do things the hard way. I suck out the res. start the car turn steering..empty res. refill with clean fluid..do his 20 or so times until fluid is clear.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:21 PM
TECH Resident

Alright, here's what I did that wound up working. What I wound up doing is I had my wife turn the car over and turn the wheels side to side while I watched. I would then have her kill the engine, at which point I would wrap a rag around the reservoir to sop up the fuzzy PS fluid that would bubble out. There would also be big bubbles.

Interestingly, every time she killed the engine, I would here a loud pfft sound like air releasing. Do you guys think that's the PS pressure relief valve? Figurin it was the relief valve, and that the cap didn't have to be off the res to release air, we then continued the procedure a couple times with the cap on.

After about five or six cycles, the noise from the PS motor was dramatically diminished. I just took it for a drive and it was silent.

Really curious about the pressure relief valve... Does that sound right to anyone-- that it would actuate to release air with such an audible hiss?
Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well FS! I just did the same thing and cannot get it to stop foaming and it whines like my wife. F
Old 05-16-2014, 05:15 PM
TECH Resident

This is not helpful, but every time I see your username I figure that's the size of your dong. Maybe that's why she's whining.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That would be 5.4 inches...

I had good luck doing the turkey baster method....flushed it out pretty good running the cheap stuff through it a few times and finally ran a quart of the GM synthetic through it to finish it off.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Bleeding the power steering system? It is not like the brakes. If you're changing the fluid it is simple. Drain the fluid, however you deem necessary, and refill the res with new fluid. Start the car and refill res immediatly as it will for sure go dry quickly. It is better to have a helper here so they can be in the car and you can be ready with fluid. Then turn the wheel lock to lock (all the way left, then all the way right) a couple of times a viola. Done. Thats is. There is no magic ju ju or no more of a procedure than that. If you have air in the system the wheels will not turn. It is a hydraulic system. Done.
Originally Posted by ls1247

I had good luck doing the turkey baster method....flushed it out pretty good running the cheap stuff through it a few times and finally ran a quart of the GM synthetic through it to finish it off.
All that right there. lol
Old 05-16-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

i have a spare power steering pump and lines if anyone needs them
Old 05-16-2014, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DACTARI
This is not helpful, but every time I see your username I figure that's the size of your dong. Maybe that's why she's whining.
lol, it was the height of the tire on my Suburban.

Originally Posted by ls1247

never heard that one

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
i have a spare power steering pump and lines if anyone needs them
I should probably buy it lol Everything worked it's way done and it feels much better now.....

Quick Reply: Getting air out of power steering system