Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clutch install gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch install gone wrong

Finally got my clutch in over the weekend. Of course it took longer than I ever anticipated, but I was just glad to get it done. Now on to the bad news, seems the clutch isn't fully disengaging now. I had to start the car in gear just to get it back from the shop (which is only 2 miles away thank god), and I I can't shift unless everything is perfect. I bled the living crap out of the slave, so the only thing I could think that could be the problem would be overtorqued pressure plate bolts. Is there an actual specification for the PP torque for this setup (LS7, F1 Flywheel), or is everyone just using ~48 ft-lb? I torqued mine to 48 +/- 1 and I have the symptoms mentioned above. Could there be anything else causing the problem?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GA95DCMSS
Finally got my clutch in over the weekend. Of course it took longer than I ever anticipated, but I was just glad to get it done. Now on to the bad news, seems the clutch isn't fully disengaging now. I had to start the car in gear just to get it back from the shop (which is only 2 miles away thank god), and I I can't shift unless everything is perfect. I bled the living crap out of the slave, so the only thing I could think that could be the problem would be overtorqued pressure plate bolts. Is there an actual specification for the PP torque for this setup (LS7, F1 Flywheel), or is everyone just using ~48 ft-lb? I torqued mine to 48 +/- 1 and I have the symptoms mentioned above. Could there be anything else causing the problem?
I went off this torque spec.

What slave did you use?
If you used the stock LS6 slave is would not work. You will need to use the LS7 slave.

CTS-V slave on the left, C6 LS7 slave on the right.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yup sounds like the wrong slave. Or the disc is misalighned.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Yup sounds like the wrong slave. Or the disc is misalighned.
If he unevenly torqued the pressure plate, he'd feel a significant amount of vibration during clutch engagement/disengagement.

Barring the possibility that he bought the wrong slave, I would say that the system needs to be bled better. GA95, are you doing a one-man bleed or do you have a helper? What kind of equipment are you using (if any)?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fuzzy, I had a helper. I had him pump iy 30-40 timess, then I released the bleeder screw. We repeated this for about an hour. It has a pedal, it just doesnt fully disengage. My speedbleeder didnt make it in time unfortunately.

NICK, I used the ls7 slave that came in the kit. Ive even verified the part numbers off of another post before I did anything else.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

Well, if it is the the right slave then it is a bleeding problem. I know you don't want to hear that as you said you bled the hell out of it, but barring some mechanical failure, there is air in the system.
Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, if it is the the right slave then it is a bleeding problem. I know you don't want to hear that as you said you bled the hell out of it, but barring some mechanical failure, there is air in the system.
I'm going to try bleeding it again, and see if anyone local has a mityvac. If that doesnt work, I guess i'm relegated to pulling the trans and retorquing the pressure plate (which I'm not looking forward to by the way).
Old 05-13-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like u have to re torq the pressure plate.. Been there done that
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Yea, something I'm definitely not looking forward too...
Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Based on what? He said he torqued the pressure plate to 48 ft-lbs.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Was it torqued using the star of david technique? Or did you just go around in a circle? At 48 pound you're actually low so....i hope that is not the problem. For your sake anyway. I'm also assuming the alignment tool was all the way in the pilot bearing while the torque sequence was done?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Was it torqued using the star of david technique? Or did you just go around in a circle? At 48 pound you're actually low so....i hope that is not the problem. For your sake anyway. I'm also assuming the alignment tool was all the way in the pilot bearing while the torque sequence was done?
The 48 ft-lbs was based on my assertion that the pressure plate fingers begin to move inward past that. I've been running 48 ft-lbs with blue loctite for the past 18 months (7,000 miles).
Old 05-13-2013, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nick, yes it was done in the star of david techniqie. Same way I did the flywheel. Alignment tool was all the way in the pilot bearing. Im gonna spend a good bit of time using my mityvac tonight, using the method where you put in into the hole in the master, and see what I get as far a bleeding goes.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Nick, yes it was done in the star of david techniqie. Same way I did the flywheel. Alignment tool was all the way in the pilot bearing. Im gonna spend a good bit of time using my mityvac tonight, using the method where you put in into the hole in the master, and see what I get as far a bleeding goes.
I know your immediate concern is getting the car on the road, and you may not want to look past this short-term scenario, but I guarantee that you'll want to be bleeding your clutch periodically once you realize how much of a difference good fluid makes. I recommend buying a Motive Power bleeder as soon as you can, as well as a set of speed bleeders for the brakes and one for the end of the remote clutch line. All told, it'll cost you under $175. If you need part numbers, let me know.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 05-13-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Can you post part numbers please? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:15 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you tried this method? Open bleeder, depress pedal, close bleeder, repeat.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

07CTS-V, no I hadnt tried that method. I'll give that a shot next time.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I know your immediate concern is getting the car on the road, and you may not want to look past this short-term scenario, but I guarantee that you'll want to be bleeding your clutch periodically once you realize how much of a difference good fluid makes. I recommend buying a Motive Power bleeder as soon as you can, as well as a set of speed bleeders for the brakes and one for the end of the remote clutch line. All told, it'll cost you under $175. If you need part numbers, let me know.
Hey Fuzzy can you post the part numbers, and best place to buy them, I bought an Exedy GT04XD twin disk set up that I'm gonna be putting in when I get home in a few days, also wanna get an LS7 slave and all the bolts and hardware if you know where the best deal to get everything is.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:37 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

07CTS-V, no I hadnt tried that method. I'll give that a shot next time.
The service manual says to do it this way and it has always worked for me when I don't feel like breaking out the Motive power bleeder. I would recommend disconnecting and reconnecting the connector between the master and slave cylinder lines.

1. Pump the pedal several times.
2. Open bleeder....close bleeder....raise pedal.
3. Open bleeder....press pedal to the floor....close bleeder....raise pedal.
4. Repeat step 3 until fresh/clean fluid comes from the bleeder.

I repeat step 3 about 3-4 times before I refill the reservoir and I put 3-4 reservoirs through for a complete flush. On the last pedal push I close the bleeder before the pedal hits the floor.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
The service manual says to do it this way and it has always worked for me when I don't feel like breaking out the Motive power bleeder. I would recommend disconnecting and reconnecting the connector between the master and slave cylinder lines.

1. Pump the pedal several times.
2. Open bleeder....close bleeder....raise pedal.
3. Open bleeder....press pedal to the floor....close bleeder....raise pedal.
4. Repeat step 3 until fresh/clean fluid comes from the bleeder.

I repeat step 3 about 3-4 times before I refill the reservoir and I put 3-4 reservoirs through for a complete flush. On the last pedal push I close the bleeder before the pedal hits the floor.
I just want to thank everyone for their assistance in figuring this out. I pulled the trans yesterday (I've gotten rather good at it...from on the ground to Bellhousing off in about 1:30 vice the 4hrs it took the first time), and pulled the pressure plate off. I retorqued it to 49ftlb (with blue locktite) using the instructions posted earlier by Stone17, and immediately noticed that the fingers on the pressure plate were alot more even than when I pulled it off. Slapped everything back together (after drilling out 3 of the broken cat bolts) and behold, we have disengagement!!

Just a quick comment, I'm using the F1 clutch kit with the multifriction disc, and the pedal effort is alot lighter than stock in my opinion. It engages about halfway through its travel and feels great. Also, for anyone not using the Redline fluid combo mentioned by Fuzzy (I went with 3:1 because of the miles on my trans) , you don't know what you're missing! It feels like a brand new trans. The notchiness is gone, and its as quiet as can be.

Quick Reply: Clutch install gone wrong