Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

If you own CCW Wheels, might wanna step inside,cracked spokes on my C5 vette

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you own CCW Wheels, might wanna step inside,cracked spokes on my C5 vette

I have a set of CCW Classics for my C5 FRC. This morning I was checking my air pressure and found these!

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

I called CCW this morning and they said I would have to buy new faces.
Shouldn't this be warrantied? Seems to me the quality of aluminum is not up to par? Why would it crack like this? Has anyone else had this problem? Did CCW take care of you?

What would have happened if the wheel broke and I crashed my car?
Seems to me this is a quality issue? Would'nt you say?

Should CCW cover these and make me new ones? I also wanna stay polished and they wanna sell me black centers! I am so pissed off right now! My car is gonna be down now! :ack::ack::ack:
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I would lose it, the alum. is obviously not up to par like you said. If there is a warranty on them i would keep going up the list of people at CCW till this get resolved, or take legal action.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't own CCWs, but I would think that with the amount of money you're spending on wheels that would replace that piece for free.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Teching In

I was quoted to pay for the material which is about $450 for all four faces.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow...I'd be beyond upset with CCW. They should handle that free of charge unless you hit something.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1-IROC
Wow...I'd be beyond upset with CCW. They should handle that free of charge unless you hit something.
Nope, my eyes are trained for the road thanks to my first vehicle being a low rider truck. You learn very quickly to watch out for potholes, bumps, etc..
So I pretty much avoid bad streets and dips in my area and I have never tracked these wheels.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Launching!

wow! Like others have said, something isn't right and for the $$ you spend on them I feel like they should replace your centers for free.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:45 PM
11 Second Club

I think you need to post some bigger pics, I can't really tell....
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Sorry if i missed this but is it just one wheel or all four?

Last edited by Brutal Boba Fett; 05-16-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

A guy locally had that happen to his Classics. Not sure of what he had to do or what he did to get them fixed.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I had my inner barrels crack but not this!
Old 05-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Launching!

I talked to a couple ppl i know who damaged their ccw's (hitting curbs etc.) and they said they sent them in to ccw and they fixed it free of charge, just had to pay shipping.

Last edited by Beave; 05-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Staging Lane

Its common. I've been seeing this randomly for almost a decade now. Only seems to happen on classics though. A few friends who had this happen tried to get them welded but the welds just cracked again. The one friend had them on a supra, the other on a road-race prepped Dakota. So they weren't driven "nicely" by any means. I want to say that both got new faces for free but your results may vary obviously.

It's not ccw's fault. It's their materials supplier. It's flaws in the billet cores during the casting process.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Teching In

I have been away dealing with my fathers funeral, so I have not been able to respond to this thread

just before I left, while I had ruben on the phone, I looked up the original build information on the set of wheels he bought secondhand, and told him that they were a race setup made back in 2002 (18x10.5 front and 17x12 paired with goodyear slicks). since he had purchased a set of fairly old race classics, that are several revisions back from current production, he would need to update al 4 wheels, and I would make him the parts for the cost of materials, originally 460 dollars, then 400 when he went on about not having the money to do it

keep in mind that the classics have been in production for over 18yrs now, and during that time they have been updated/ revised 6 times to keep pace with the increases of load that newer generations of race tires are capable of generating. the differences are not readily apparent, but the spokes are thicker, and there are other less noticeable machining details that are incorporated in later production parts

since there are many old sets out there, most are in the hands of their 2nd-3rd-6th owners at this point, we have always offered to update older parts to the current generation for what amounts to the cost of materials and anodizing, typically 115-145 per part

since race classics have not been offered in a polished finish for several years now, ruben was told he would be getting anodized parts, and could choose between black and titanium. he was upset about that because he insisted he was only using them for his street car and wanted the polished finish. I pointed out that race wheels are assembled with cad plated steel hardware, not stainless hardware, and that the hardware on his wheels would start to rust fairly quickly, even more so, as I can see in his pics, because whoever re-polished/refinished the wheels he has, also buffed off all the cad plating on the hardware

some on this thread have insinuated that we don't stand behind behind out product. I take offense to that, as these remarks have been made without possession of all the of the details due to some significant omissions by ruben, as his posts on this, and other forums, seem to omit the fact that bought a second hand set of 11 year old, well used, race wheels, and was offered the opportunity to update them to current specs for the cost of the metal to make the parts.

john at ccw
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Never had a problem with CCW customer service and the fact that these are second hand wheels and they are at least trying to work with you on the issue goes to show the great customer service they have.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Launching!

Glad to see someone from ccw chime in and explain the situation. Seems like a very reasonable offer.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM
Launching!

American Muscle with Chinese made wheels.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

seeing now that these wheels were bought second hand the op should be glad the wheels company is even considering workng the situation out imo
Old 05-19-2013, 12:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 38DD2436
American Muscle with Chinese made wheels.
You are a troll, shut up.

And CCW is top notch and the above response should be more than enough to close this thread.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 7beast
seeing now that these wheels were bought second hand, the op should be glad the wheels company is even considering working the situation out imo
Not only bought second hand, but over 10 years old! Think of how many NASCAR teams toss out high stressed items after only 1 race!

Originally Posted by Skraight
You are a troll, shut up.

And CCW is top notch and the above response should be more than enough to close this thread.
Bingo!!

Quick Reply: If you own CCW Wheels, might wanna step inside,cracked spokes on my C5 vette