Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2013 Viper, as seen in Road & Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 2013 Viper, as seen in Road & Track

Saw pic of 2013 Viper in R & T. Anyone know why the rear brake calipers on the 2013 Viper are behind the rotor, (on the tail light side of rotor)? I did not look @ previous models to see if this was standard for the Viper. Just seems odd. Most designers keep as much weight as possible inside the wheel base. Granted, we're not talking about a big difference, but it's one of those things that makes me wonder about the overall design.

Luv the body style, BTW.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The engine on the Viper weighs 700+ lbs. Any weight shifted to the rear is only going to help achieve a better weight distribution.

It could also be due to placement of cooling ducts or other suspension components.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome looking cars, I saw a red one in Santa Monica on Monday. They sound badass just cruising by.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sadly I never noticed this, they're on the front end of the rotor on all other gens.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SlowFRC
Sadly I never noticed this, they're on the front end of the rotor on all other gens.
Yah, it's really odd. There must be something in the new gen that required the designers to move 'em. Was thinking maybe it has something to do w/ the "Government mandate" of adding traction control. A cheap version of traction control is to pulse the brakes when traction is lost. So, maybe they needed more room on the inside of the caliper to add parts related to a cheap traction control solution & that the required room wasn't available in the forward/inside the wheel base location.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Don't see it as worth $100,000 + though. Really, don't get it. Somebody @ Dodge dropped the ball on that one, IMO.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there was a reason. I recall reading about, but the reason escapes me at the moment. I am sure it can be found. Maybe even on this site when it was first posted.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:28 PM
Banned

I never noticed that either but good catch. As far as the car goes I do know every little scoop works and has a purpose on the new car. Its lighter makes more power and has forged internals again. For what the car is I do believe it is in the right price rang IMO. the Base model Viper would put a good hurt on a C6 Z considering it has just as much power as a ZR1 and it keeps up with the ZR1 Vette. The Vette Finally has a good Competition now with this Viper, I mean yea there is Porches, Ferrari's, and Lambo's but those cars cost a lot more than these 2.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason for the caliper flip flop is explained here:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

And for those too lazy:

Wait a minute. Wasn't the parking brake caliper mounted behind the axle centerline last time around? Shouldn't we be staring at a big red four-piston Brembo caliper from here?

That was then; this is now. For 2013 the toe link has been moved from its former location behind the axle centerline to a position in front.

There it is again. And it looks as if it has two means of adjustment: a turnbuckle and an eccentric cam. What's that all about?

Look carefully at the fences on either side of the eccentric cam to see the answer. These run horizontally, which paradoxically means this is an up-down adjustment point for bump steer, not an in-out one for toe-in. The traditional toe-in adjustment is made with the turnbuckle built into the link itself.

Adjustable rear bump steer is new for the 2013 Viper, and it's a nod to track users who want to optimize the handling of their car from track to track. But that's not the main reason for the switch from a rear-mounted toe link to this forward mount. SRT engineers tell me it was done to better optimize rear roll steer and compliance steer in general, to make this beast a bit less beastly.

The relocation of this link is what caused the brake calipers to trade places, and in so doing the aluminum rear knuckle had to be totally redesigned.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Don't see it as worth $100,000 + though. Really, don't get it. Somebody @ Dodge dropped the ball on that one, IMO.
Because the brake caliper is on the other side of the rotor?

What would you buy, new, for $100k?? The Z06 or ZR1 that looks almost the same as the $50k base Corvette? I would take the Viper over that, the GTR, any Porsche, and the R8 any day.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The reason for the caliper flip flop is explained here:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

And for those too lazy:

Thank-you, I had even tried to join the Viper forum, but was rejected 'cuz I couldn't answer the what year was the Viper prototype revealed (security question ???). Didn't feel like looking it up. So, never joined. Anyway, glad to learn the reason.

Quick Reply: 2013 Viper, as seen in Road & Track