Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand cherokee box, L92 swap p/s fluid overheat

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 01:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Grand cherokee box, L92 swap p/s fluid overheat

I've searched a bunch about this and found guys using coolers but i'm trying to figure out why it's getting so hot in the first place.

I've got a Stock L92 p/s pump running a 1.25" smaller diameter pulley to clear the frame with the truck brackets. So that means it'll be spinning faster of course. The box is a used JGC box I changed at the same time as the rest of the LS swap so I have to guess it's ok. I'm using -6an lines for press and return and the fittings are the same i.d. as the OEM lines so I don't think it's a restriction issue.

I've read there's different pump outputs for different models. I can drive the car for about 20min at 60-70mph and it'll be puking fluid and pressurizing the p/s cap. Pump gets whiny and assist starts to go away. I can add a cooler no problem, but p/s temp has never been a problem in the past. I could swap out a different pump with a lower output, but i'm stuck with running this smaller dia. pulley to clear the frame rail.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Does your pump havve 2 return ports? If so, and you use the upper port, it will airate the fluid and make the pump noisy.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What Gary said^^^
Borgeson has a shim kit to cut the psi down. I use 1 on my LQ4 pump/500 box on my 55. About $15.00.
My hydraboost brakes were ported back into the top port on the 05 LQ4 pump. The pump was noisy. Changed it around, capped the upper port, and that cured the problem.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the F-body PS Cooler on my Chevelle, before I had it on, it was most likely getting hot from the higher pressure of the F-body PS Pump and the lower requirement of the older Steering Box, I was getting some lock up under quick acceleration. After the Cooler was added, the problem of the lock up was gone.

You can do what the other have said for the shim or releif valve or add a cooler... or do both if needed.

Having issue using the Hydro setup and only using the upper port has been a known problem.. the solution was to cap the upper return port and use the lower return port (do a search and you will find the many threads/posts on this).

BC
Old 05-21-2013, 09:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

I would definitley put a cooler on it. I don't know the exact numbers, but wouldn't running a pump with a smaller pulley at 70mph for 20 minutes be similar to running one with a stock size pulley for 20 minutes at, say 90mph? If so, I could see where heat could be building up in it. Just a thought.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too. I'm gonna try just a cooler before I get into playing with pressures and all that. Hopefully the added capacity and cooling will fix it.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

can't go wrong with trying a cooler first
Old 05-26-2013, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is another idea. How about running a smaller balancer pulley. Say a 25% under drive. That way you can pick up a few ponies and your power stearing pulley will be turning at a reduced rpm.
Old 05-26-2013, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

That's a good idea too gta. I'm still running all the truck truck brackets/pulleys for now so ill have to dig for info to see what's out there for a smaller damper.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

The under size pulley may help, but you may encounter low RPM steering issues... (maybe)

But if the issue is with the pump pressure and the older gear box, you will still have over heating issues. Do the relief valve and cooler first.!

BC

Quick Reply: Grand cherokee box, L92 swap p/s fluid overheat