Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Sensitve Steering

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Sensitve Steering

I swapped a 6.0 lq4 into an 86' Suburban and has been running and driving great but the steering at highway speeds is light and super sensitive. I'm using the stock 1986 steering box with the lq4 power steering pump. Also a note....I am using vacuum brakes so I have the hydro boost capped off. I am thinking the LS style power steering pump puts out more pressure than the original 1986 pump making it more sensitive and with the hydroboost capped off it ups the pressure even more. Anyone know if there is a fix or anyone had this problem before? I'm just trying to get a heavier feeling steering wheel at highway speeds so 1/4" turn of the wheel doesnt make me change lanes.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help:
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalo...p-1-c-133.html

You could also switch to a larger pulley on the pump or a smaller (Underdrive) pulley on your crank in order to reduce the pump RPM's.

-matt
Old 05-22-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Regular

If you still have your old PS pump laying around you can take the valve out of the back (where the pressure line attaches to the pump) and put it in the new pump so that your pump matches the the pressure the box was designed for, just like when you had the old small block in it. Careful, there is a spring in there and once that last thread lets go, everything likes to pop out at once. I think its a 1" head maybe, I remember I didn't have a socket big enough for mine and had to use pliers...
Old 05-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
If you still have your old PS pump laying around you can take the valve out of the back (where the pressure line attaches to the pump) and put it in the new pump so that your pump matches the the pressure the box was designed for, just like when you had the old small block in it. Careful, there is a spring in there and once that last thread lets go, everything likes to pop out at once. I think its a 1" head maybe, I remember I didn't have a socket big enough for mine and had to use pliers...
I dont have the old pump anymore but I'm sure that someone has one laying around and if not they are around $30 new from Autozone so I will give that a shot. So just take out the one from the sbc and it will screw right into the pump for the LS style? Also, did you use the spring and everything from the sbc?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rider2882
I dont have the old pump anymore but I'm sure that someone has one laying around and if not they are around $30 new from Autozone so I will give that a shot. So just take out the one from the sbc and it will screw right into the pump for the LS style? Also, did you use the spring and everything from the sbc?
Got the fitting out of the Junkyard. You will need a new pressure hose too if you switch the valve in the pump. Thats what I did in my Chevelle.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99VetteFRC
Got the fitting out of the Junkyard. You will need a new pressure hose too if you switch the valve in the pump. Thats what I did in my Chevelle.
Is it a different size or something because my pressure hose fit right up to the LS style pump and it is a stock 1986 pressure hose. It was the same fitting size I just put a brand new hose on it when I did the swap.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as pressure of the new and old, yes.. the newer pumps put out a few hundred PSI higher that the older SBC ones.

Here is a thread on this subject
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...truck-etc.html

BC
Old 05-23-2013, 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

The later 80's boxes use o ring fittings instead of the older double flare type. I use them on my 67-72 swaps because they are a direct fit and the lines are the same as the LS pumps. They are also fewer turns lock to lock so they drive a little better. I've never had one that felt too sensitive though. Are you sure your alignment is correct? That can make them feel touchy too.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
The later 80's boxes use o ring fittings instead of the older double flare type. I use them on my 67-72 swaps because they are a direct fit and the lines are the same as the LS pumps. They are also fewer turns lock to lock so they drive a little better. I've never had one that felt too sensitive though. Are you sure your alignment is correct? That can make them feel touchy too.
I bought a new SBC pump and swapped out the valve on the back as the guys above recommended and it made a noticeable difference. Its still a little touchy but I think that does have to do with alignment but its allot better now than what it was. Before it was kind of sketchy driving at 80 mph because very little imput on the steering wheel would make you go from line to line on the road. The wheel now is heavier feeling and I'm sure that the rest is in the alignment. Thanks for the tip in changing that out guys. I wish I would have known about that earlier but its about to go on a 3000 mile trip and I didn't want to have to fight it the whole time.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rider2882
II wish I would have known about that earlier
You and me both! I went the JY route though because I heard about it before I finished my swap. Glad it is all working out

Quick Reply: Super Sensitve Steering