Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 M3 Sedan LS1/T56 Daily

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 08:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 M3 Sedan LS1/T56 Daily

As usual, all projects start with very bad ideas. This is the start of mine. I was getting tired of having an automatic M3 as a daily and really wanted a manual. Unfortunately, I spent too time in my friend's G8 GT laying down plenty of good rubber and enjoying the sweet note of a V8. Those thing go for $18k and up, and manuals are still in the ~$30k range. Darn, and not even a decent chassis.

Why not combine both?!?!

I got to looking around. Originally I wanted a 95 m3 (only came in coupe), so that I wouldn't have to worry about emissions in Northern Virginia. Well, then I stumbled upon this little guy. The seller had sold a previous car to a good friend of mine (air cooled 911, and was fanatical about maintenance and upkeep). I figured, if 2 doors are cool putting around with 400rwhp, 4 doors is even better

So what you see below is my latest pickup. A 1998 M3 sedan.. Over $2grand worth of work was recently done on it. And the single mechanical modification was a set of $6k Ohlin shocks. :mrgreen: .
The plan is to throw a mostly stock LS1/T56 in there with an LS6 intake and see how I like it. If I want it more raw, a pair of AFR 205 heads and a 228R cam. If I like it the way it is, I will still probably throw an LS6 head/cam on it for just a bit more power. The exterior will mostly remain stock, with maybe some tint, a slight drop, wheels, and mayyyyyybe some euro lights paired with black kidneys. This will be a long process as I am taking my time on building the engine/components.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Teching In

A little update to catch up to whereI am...

I found one LS1 that I picked up, and then stumbled across an LS1/T56 combo. Instead of trying to break it up. I grabbed the whole shebang.

I went and test drove the car that has the ls1/t56 that I will be buying and have a deposit on. DANG. That is all I have to say, he is including a Spec Mini Triple Disc X-trim clutch with the setup as well! Even if I find the triple disc a little annoying in daily (although similiar pedal pressure as stock), I could sell it and make decent money.

As far as the motor/trans? It is a rebuilt T56 with all the fancy pants parts. The gearbox has the "gearbox.com"'s Stage 2 upgrades, bronze fork pads, steel shift forks, and oon gears 1-6. The gearbox shifts exceptionally smooth.

And I have had the GSX with lots of power, driven plenty of fast cars, but man o man, the LS1 at 90+ (on closed roads in mexico) is mind-blowing. Just pulls and pulls and pulls. This V8 is going to be ridiculous in a package like the M3.

The owner is pulling the assembly out of the car this weekend, and I will be picking it up Monday night. This solves finding a clutch/throwout bearing/flywheel.

I now have an extra LS1 longblock for sale. I had intended to use it, but now just going to go with the entire dropout that I bought. In great condition. PM me if you are interested.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM
Launching!

I'm glad you're starting this thread. It's funny because I also had my little heart set on a G8 GT until I found out that only the GXP came in a manual. Then I came across the LS1 swapped M3. It will be the perfect DD. 4 doors, lightweight, and a blast to drive. Did you know the 4 door weighs the same as the 2 door? If not exact, it's close enough.

Do you mind me asking how much you picked up the M3 for? How many miles? Any idea how much you can sell the straight 6 and tranny for?

I do HPDEs and I've been in several E36 M3s with nothing more than good pads and track tires. The handling is very impressive to say the least. Even with 240 rwhp, it seemed to pull hard. I can't imagine what nearly double the power will feel like.

What kit are you going to go with? Now that you have the car, engine, and tranny, what do you think your total build cost will be?

Thanks for taking the time to share your project.
Steve
Old 05-24-2013, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Steve91T
I'm glad you're starting this thread. It's funny because I also had my little heart set on a G8 GT until I found out that only the GXP came in a manual. Then I came across the LS1 swapped M3. It will be the perfect DD. 4 doors, lightweight, and a blast to drive. Did you know the 4 door weighs the same as the 2 door? If not exact, it's close enough.

Do you mind me asking how much you picked up the M3 for? How many miles? Any idea how much you can sell the straight 6 and tranny for?

I do HPDEs and I've been in several E36 M3s with nothing more than good pads and track tires. The handling is very impressive to say the least. Even with 240 rwhp, it seemed to pull hard. I can't imagine what nearly double the power will feel like.

What kit are you going to go with? Now that you have the car, engine, and tranny, what do you think your total build cost will be?

Thanks for taking the time to share your project.
Steve
I picked up the m3 for $5500 with 161k miles. Yeah I could barely beleive the mileage after seeing the car (and has tons of receipts all refreshing the cooling system and suspension system).

M3 motor and trans is currently for sale for $2600, which is about the going rate for them.

They do make bad-*** track machines. I actually race one myself:

I am currently undecided on a kit. Vorshlag's is kind of pricey, but is one of the best IMO. Its a back and forth between vorshlag and Samberg.
I thinki total cost including the car should get somewhere under $15k. Maybe under $10k if I get lucky, but I highly doubt it. There are always 2-3k in little stuff that kills you (it will have a/c, everytthing functioning like a nice daily etc.)
Old 05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Launching!

That is a hell of a deal. I can't believe that car is so clean. Great find. I thought I'd have to spend at least $10k for a low mileage M3, but after seeing how clean yours is, I think I'll be more open minded and focus on how clean the car is. I know you already have the LS1, but did you ever consider an aluminum 5.3? I would think you could have a heads and cam 5.3 that makes 400 rwhp for cheaper than a stock LS1. I wouldn't want the weight of the iron 5.3.

Is there more info on the race car and what type of racing you do? Bad *** picture, btw.

Well, I guess I'm your only fan, but like I said, I'm looking forward to seeing the build progress. When do you think you're going to get started?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 05-25-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

He has more than one fan here. Welcome to the world of BMW with LS1's installed. NICE
Old 05-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys! Very excited about this build. I really did think about alternatives like the iron block 6.0 or the 5.3 but the LS1 has that...LS1 panache (great for resale value since I am so ADD).

Definitely when looking for M3s, focus on condition more than mileage. Mileage really isnt an issue for them if they were maintained properly. (opposite of newer bmws).

I race with NASA- Midatlantic in GTS2 class. A 14.5 p/w class focusing more on suspension/aero development since you can run only limited power.

Drop-out sitting in the garage LS1/T56 with around ~60k miles, with a Spec X-Trim triple disch clutch/remote bleeder, and upgraded shift forks in the transmission.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Car looks great. Interested to see the build. I too would like a G8 GT and still might, since my main thing is it needs to hold a car seat (or two down the road) and be comfortable, which my current Fusion is not (even my 5' tall wife has to slide her seat forward with our son behind her).
Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Good weekend for progress, I won this ebay auction. It has ebay buyer protection, I searched forever trying to find if the guy was a scammer, and finallly...paid through paypal and used a credit card. (Still nervous about it haah) This auction comes with EVERYTHING else I needed for the swap (aside from small ancilarries like hoses, and mods like cams/intake). Cheaper than anythiing else I could find by a large margin.

I was in town this weekend for memorial day and had my family over, so there wasnt much free time; but I did get a little clean up done on the LS1s.
First of all, pulled all the stuff I would need from my donor LS1 to the LS1 that I would be using such as knock sensors, Cam/Crank/Oil pressure sensors, and a few brackets. Threw those on the LS1 I would be using. I also pulled off the wiring harness and labeled each connector.

Pulling out the motors to middle of the garage, this stand is awesome!

Tore down and put in the corner the LS1 to be sold

LS1 Intake Manifold for sale as well

Installed sensors and some of the brackets onto LS1 that I will be using.

Tagging and labelling the Wiring Harness
Old 05-29-2013, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

Thumbs up to another BMW swap! Subscribed!
Old 05-29-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Great start! I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress come along. I noticed your in VA what part?

I've always had a soft spot for the e36 m3s, just was never happy with the lack of power. It's the only model i've really liked until the e92s. I've always been about the bang for buck and these cars hold a premium and like you said it's more about condition then mileage most are pretty ragged out or super clean and cost way too much for a 15 year old car. Hard to find a good medium. I'd say you did pretty well with that one. How do you like the Ohlins?? Amazing shocks they sell in the moto world i've never seen or heard of any feedback in the auto world. The price is crazy for them!

228 will be a great cam, mine is a 233/239 and it's completely gutless under 3500rpm. Really doesn't start coming alive till 4k+ wish i went smaller.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Regular

Holy ****. I need to start building e36 M3 swap kits!!! Way to take a great car ...and make it even better.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevo92z28
Great start! I'm really looking forward to seeing the progress come along. I noticed your in VA what part?

I've always had a soft spot for the e36 m3s, just was never happy with the lack of power. It's the only model i've really liked until the e92s. I've always been about the bang for buck and these cars hold a premium and like you said it's more about condition then mileage most are pretty ragged out or super clean and cost way too much for a 15 year old car. Hard to find a good medium. I'd say you did pretty well with that one. How do you like the Ohlins?? Amazing shocks they sell in the moto world i've never seen or heard of any feedback in the auto world. The price is crazy for them!

228 will be a great cam, mine is a 233/239 and it's completely gutless under 3500rpm. Really doesn't start coming alive till 4k+ wish i went smaller.
Located right here in Reston, VA (northern va as well!).

I think I may hold off on the cam as I was worried about driveability as it will be my daily driver. Now thinking of just getting the motor as is in the car (with just external bolt ons), and drive it for a bit. If I get the itch for more power, either LS6 heads/cam, or go buck wild and get the 5.3 Stage 2 package from TSP.

233/239 must be nasty!

(yeah LS1 swap kits for E36s are pretty expensive, but that includes a 3" aluminum driveshaft, 1 3/4 long tube headers, new steering shaft assembly, motor mounts, and trans mounts. I was thinking of creating my own mounts, and having a driveshaft assembled, but we are talking maybe a couple hundred once you factor out the price of a good set of headers ~1600 ($1100 bucks for motor mounts, trans mounts, steering shaft, and driveshaft, barely save any money doing it myself).
Old 05-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by D_Eclipse9916
Located right here in Reston, VA (northern va as well!).

I think I may hold off on the cam as I was worried about driveability as it will be my daily driver. Now thinking of just getting the motor as is in the car (with just external bolt ons), and drive it for a bit. If I get the itch for more power, either LS6 heads/cam, or go buck wild and get the 5.3 Stage 2 package from TSP.

233/239 must be nasty!

(yeah LS1 swap kits for E36s are pretty expensive, but that includes a 3" aluminum driveshaft, 1 3/4 long tube headers, new steering shaft assembly, motor mounts, and trans mounts. I was thinking of creating my own mounts, and having a driveshaft assembled, but we are talking maybe a couple hundred once you factor out the price of a good set of headers ~1600 ($1100 bucks for motor mounts, trans mounts, steering shaft, and driveshaft, barely save any money doing it myself).
I'm sure even with a bone stock LS1, that car is going to be a blast to drive. A mild cam and heads would probably be all you would want.....until you want more
Old 06-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Came home to find these boxes

And what is in these boxes? Vorshlag's Stage 0 kit!

The headers are done very well, and hopefully with all these parts right here, the swap will be relatively easy! Currently saving up for a mild cam package and LS6 intake. Then the process will begin!
Old 06-05-2013, 05:09 AM
Launching!

Awesome. I can't wait to see you get started.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Soon as I sell the S52/ZF I will be getting started. Cam/spring package and LS6 intake will be bought with those funds and I can get everything in.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. That kit will get you well down the road with the project. Those parts are the tough parts.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:18 AM
Teching In

Thought I didn't have the v-band clamps that came with the kit. Glad I checked the packaging before I threw it away! It was at the bottom of the box.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM
Teching In

So this isn't so much of a big update.

Time has been scarce in the past month between working for Bodymotion at NJMP, building a chump car, getting the NASA race car ready for Hyperfest, racing hyperfest, and racing chump car. Pretty much knocked out all my weekends. However I did invite a few friends over on a weekday night after work and we made the final nail in the coffin for this project happen: pulled the sedan in the garage and threw her on jackstands.

Then made room for the new motor by pulling the stock s52 engine/trans out of the car. (S52 engine is still for sale!!)

Going on a vacation/break this weekend, and then will be ordering some of the goodies to start getting the LS1 motor together.

Quick Reply: 98 M3 Sedan LS1/T56 Daily