Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

FIC Injector Data for EFILive?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default FIC Injector Data for EFILive?

Could someone walk me through how to put in this data into my tune file? It seems straightforward, but I want to make 100% I'm doing it right because I'm getting wildly negative fuel trims with these injectors.

So the tables that are in the injector data spreadsheet are shown here in bold exactly as they are in the spreadsheet.

IFR Table - Injector Flow Rate B4001
Since I have the stock truck manifold referenced FPR, I use the first row in red for every row, correct? My rail pressure is 58 psi with the manifold reference line removed, and like 52 psi at idle.

Injector Voltage Correction - B4002
Seems straightforard.

Min Puls & B4004 Def Pulse - B4003
This one confused me. Do I use this table for BOTH B4003 and B4004? I called FIC about this and they confused me even more.

Short Pulse Limit
The value here is 2.5 ms. Does this go in for B4006 Small Pulse Threshold?

Small Pulse - B4005
The smallest value this table will accept in EFILive is 0.015198. So when I copy and paste the data in, save, and reopen the tune, all values are changed to some multiple of this minimum value. EFILive seems to round the data up or down to the nearest multiple of 0.015198. Is this okay?

Offset - B3701
Same question as the IFR table, I just use the first row in red for every row?

Thanks!
Attached Files
Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IFR Table - Injector Flow Rate B4001

Is your FPR MAP referenced? I'm not familiar with the truck manifolds and the STOCK FPR setups, These are labeled 72.02 @ 4 bar, so yes, if you have your fuel pressure with the MAP reference line removed set to 58psi then you should put 72.02 throughout the entire table if you HAVE a MAP referenced FPR. If it is NOT MAP referenced you must put in all the values as shown. It sounds like you have already done this with the FPR

Injector Voltage Correction - B4002
yes paste it in

Min Puls & B4004 Def Pulse - B4003
you put the same thing in for both. If you look at the stock file, the numbers should also show the same in both tables.

Short Pulse Limit
Yes.

Small Pulse - B4005
yes. you will find that it does this with most numbers. 4.04 may not end up being that, it may end up being 4.038 or something of the sort.

Offset - B3701
Yes
Old 05-27-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes the 99-02 trucks have a manifold referenced FPR, so the stock IFR table is flat as well.

In the stock tune ('01 Silverado 5.3L auto) the Minimum Injector Pulse Width B4003 and Default Minimum Pulse Width B4004 are much different. B4003 is a constant 0.76ms, and B4004 is 0.866ms from 0 to 3200RPM, and 0ms above 3200 RPM.

My tuner says that I'm likely hitting the minimum allowed pulse width causing it to be rich on decel. Everywhere else the fuel trims are fine after a little MAF tuning, it's only decel where it will go to ~12 AFR and sloooowly creep up back to stoich over about 15 seconds with the fuel trims, RPM, and MAFFREQ staying constant. The Log_0063 attached shows a good example of this starting at frame 10400 going to 10880.

The IBPW PID is showing 1.77-1.8ms on decel. And it's not as bumpy as it is elsewhere, indicating it might be hitting a limit. It steps down in increments. The Log_0058 shows this pretty well.

Minimum Transient Pulsewidth B9021 is still stock at 0.89ms.

My tuner says in the thousands of vehicles he's tuned he has never had to adjust the small pulsewidth settings for aftermarket injectors.
Attached Files
File Type: efi
Log_0063_CalcVET2.efi (448.7 KB, 163 views)
MGreen_Log_0058.efi (467.2 KB, 103 views)
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Resident

Different injectors, especially quick response time injectors have different small pulsewidths. If you look into Disc, Pintle, ball & seat injectors you will find all kinds of different characteristics.

I suggest trying the numbers in the data tables that you were given for the small pulse and see what at least happens.

your statement about wildly negative fuel trims lacked explanation in your first post. thank you for explaining the exact details of your negative fuel trims.

when I get home I will look into your scans

also, what are your DFCO - deceleration fuel settings? If you have this not to come on, then you will run rich on decel.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
Different injectors, especially quick response time injectors have different small pulsewidths. If you look into Disc, Pintle, ball & seat injectors you will find all kinds of different characteristics.

I suggest trying the numbers in the data tables that you were given for the small pulse and see what at least happens.

your statement about wildly negative fuel trims lacked explanation in your first post. thank you for explaining the exact details of your negative fuel trims.

when I get home I will look into your scans

also, what are your DFCO - deceleration fuel settings? If you have this not to come on, then you will run rich on decel.
With the values they gave me, I'm getting the rich on decel issue.

The logs have DFCO disabled because it was cutting spark between shifts, causing it to stumble at the beginning of the next gear. And I was doing Calc.VET which requires DFCO to be disabled. I'll have to look at some logs with DFCO enabled to see what pulsewidth is doing. As far as I know there are no settings regarding fueling in DFCO. I can only adjust when DFCO enables/disables and the spark in DFCO.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

on decel without DFCO it will go rich is what I'm trying to say, regardless of what you do. Unless I don't know something.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

on decel without DFCO it will go rich is what I'm trying to say, regardless of what you do. Unless I don't know something.
Pre-turbo and injectors mine would go lean on decel w/ DFCO disabled. See the attached log. Isn't the PCM still commanding an equivalence ratio of 1.0 in decel? So it should be targeting stoich just like any other point.

I decided to lower B9021 Minimum Transient Pulsewidth from 0.89ms to 0.12ms (same as B4003 and B4004) and it helped a little bit. My pulsewidths on decel now get down to 1.55ms, but the fuel trims are still going max negative. The logged pulsewidths are still flattening out on decel so I think I'm still hitting a lower limit.
Attached Files
Log_0029_CALCVET.efi (209.3 KB, 114 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Resident

can you post your tune
Old 05-30-2013, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

can you post your tune
I told my tuner I wouldn't.

But as an update, I messed around with the injector settings and went back to FIC's settings, but made B9021 equal to B4003 and B4004. And then I took 10% off the offset table B3701. My fuels trims now are -3.1 to 1.6 without any MAF tuning. It goes a little rich on decel still but it gets back to stoich quickly and the fuel trims don't go off the chart. The rich/lean behavior when letting off the gas is similar to stock now.

Now, I'm probably not supposed to mess with the offset table, as that should come from the injector data. But it seems to be much happier now! Not sure if this will have a negative impact elsewhere in the tune. As far as I see it, I just knocked 10% off the whatever injector pulsewidth the computer demands.

I'm curious how DFCO will work now, and if the injector pulsewidth will be able to get low enough to make DFCO worthwhile.

Here's a log with the new injector settings. At the end of the log I blew the MAF sensor in half Time to go 2bar COS!
Attached Files
Log_0068.efi (94.9 KB, 116 views)
Old 05-30-2013, 07:54 PM
TECH Resident

how exactly did you blow the MAF apart?

anyway, ok. good you got it going.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

how exactly did you blow the MAF apart?

anyway, ok. good you got it going.
Looks like it came apart at a seam that is glued from the factory. I superglued it back together, should be stronger than before now.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

!!!??? never seen a MAF do that before.

Quick Reply: FIC Injector Data for EFILive?