Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

You think a bubbling sail panel is bad? here's a new one...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default You think a bubbling sail panel is bad? here's a new one...

Well today turned out to be really fun. I've known for many years about the sail panel issues, my car's production date is approx 2-4 months after the glue switch deal. First sail panel bubble happened last year, about half the size of a tic-tac. Was able to get over that and it never got bigger. Would watch the sail panel in the sun some days and the glue lines would show through, but when the day cooled off they would dissapear.

My car has never seen snow from day 1, stored in a garage for 7 months a year, just hit 42k yesterday. Last year I lost my storage space so I sacked up and purchased a 20' enclosed car hauler to store my car in the winter. Due to running a business, I didn't get to pull my car from there till 2 days ago. Had a few mid 80 degree days this year and I assume it was maybe 100 degrees at most in the trailer, went in there a few times and wasn't bad to me. No sunlight obviously, pull the car out yesterday and every seam on the hatch is bubbled and a few small ones on the sail panel. But the hatch is absolutely insane to see in person. I mean both front and back of the wing, lower lip up against the top of the tail lights, down the entire sides along the 1/4 panels, I'm talking every single inch of seam that they possibly glued together is bubbled. There is even 3" near the driver door where the bubbles popped up so hard that they cracked the clearcoat. Pics barely show anything, mainly tree pollen but this hatch is trashed.

I have a low rise one laying around extra but I didn't like how it looked before. But now that I am lowered, drag setup, narrowed rear, etc. it should look nicer. Problem about that is I don't know if the hatch is pre '98 or post and not sure how to tell. It's not like older muscle cars where I can figure it out by the numbers. This just really pisses me off. I can't sell the damn thing, no point it re-painting it if it will do it again. I can't really see the trailer doing this. The car has sat in the blazing sun w/ heat indexes over 100 and never a problem. It was in there cold for 90% of its storage time. I may just gamble on my low rise spare and hope it's older. Sail panel I will have to suck it up and order a 6LE fiberglass. I'm stuck.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My OEM paint on my hatch (particularly the spoiler) is bubbling up too. But those are a different kind of bubble. That's just the paint separating from the primer more than likely as there is no glue in those areas. My OEM paint on my hood lifted from the sealer/primer and then a rock chip flaked a chunk of it off. I'm pretty sure that can safely be repainted, although I'd want to strip off all the old paint entirely and reprime it.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

I don't think it's a paint / primer problem. The entire middle of the wing and lower hatch is mint. The bubbles are along every edge that is joined together. All of the layers of these fiberglass hatches are joined together with some time glue. Seen them busted apart in junk yards. All of these bubbles are following the same concept as the sail panels. I will know for sure if the bigger cracked bubbles start oozing ****. I wish it happened to the front bumper or the hood. Would be that kick I need to swap to a Formula nose and different hood. The smaller bubbles do look like a paint problem, see it happen to bondo cars and moisture.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hm. Thanks GM.

Thankfully seems my bubbles are limited to my spoiler and sail panel (and a billion of the little boogers on that sail panel too, yeesh). My 98 had some bubbled paint in a few spots on the spoiler but again figured it was due to paint/primer lift as my 98 was not plagued by the sail panel bubbles. I so wish I had thought to save that roof panel when that car's remains went to scrap...

I like the T/A bumper over the v6/formula bumper personally.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got the same thing happening to my spoiler as your last picture, except mines much worse. paints actually chipping off in little oval type shapes. i just assumed it was because i twisted it or something when i took it off.

i'll try and get pictures of it tomorrow for comparisons sake.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that, GM engineers screwed the pooch on this one! Mine is limited to the sail panel. All "tic tac" sized bubbles that run all the way on front and back side of sail panel. I've looked at the aftermarket ones; $500. My T/A is SOM but I will paint the new sail panel black, kinda like the Z28 panels. I have a '08 Mustang GT that is black and getting shaker repainted same time.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:01 AM
10 Second Club

We had a 2000 SS come in the shop a couple months ago and it was doing it on the hood. If it appears that the bubbles are following a line and not just random I'd agree that its the glue issue.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Resident

Well after a 93 degree day I walked into my enclosed trailer since I needed to apply a second coat of epoxy garage floor covering, I think I am going to have to say it was excessive heat that messed it up. Not sure how cars look in Texas when they are well over 100 but cars shouldn't do **** like this. GM dropped the ball here. I have a lot of time and $$ invested in my former low mile flawless paint car. I don't want to even wax it now because wax residue will stick in all the cracks where the clearcoat cracked from the bubbles rising too much.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Launching!

i would tend to lean towards heat at least exacerbating the issue. down here, mid-high 90's aren't uncommon during the summer. coupled with a pretty high humidity, it's not surprising stuff is separating from what it's attached to.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Man that sucks.

Atleast its black...no blending and the paint is fairly cheap.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Unfortunetly this looks like moisture has started to do its part with paint, also could be some non adhered paint, cant really tell until they start breaking : (
Old 06-04-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I have replaced 3 of my sail panels on different T/A's already and I have one from 6LE in my garage because my Mecham T/A started little spots last summer. It better not start doing what yours is doing!! That sucks!! I have never heard of that before.....
Old 06-06-2013, 12:17 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who painted the hatch/spoiler?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Whistler
Who painted the hatch/spoiler?
The General back in '98 on the assembly line

I just sent 6LE money for a new sail panel and I have a low rise hatch as a backup but fear the problem may happen again. When it goes back in storage I plan on having the roof vent open as much as possible, or remove the hatch every time before winter storage assuming the trailer was the problem...
Old 06-10-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

I just noticed the same problem on my 2002 Formula. It's black with 14,000 miles and has been garaged most of it's life. I have the small bubbles on the spoiler and some on the bumper cover. I couldn't believe what I saw. The car is perfect except for the sail panel and now I have more bubbles under the paint. It looks just like the paint bubbles on the sail panel.

Quick Reply: You think a bubbling sail panel is bad? here's a new one...