Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

KW Variant 3 - is there any way to keep the boot down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 02:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default KW Variant 3 - is there any way to keep the boot down?

Hey guys,

After installing the KW Variant 3 kit, I noticed that the protective dust boots immediately rode all the way to the top of the struts and stayed there. Is that normal?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats pretty much normal, I believe the upper collar supports the entire boot and is attached at the upper strut bearing. if you are worried, look into some coil overs covers (socks) for added protection

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2330815
or if you dont want to make them there are several companies that sell that, from kirkey, to jegs, to summit, to a number of subaru based sites like dirtyimpreza.com (I believe another DIY).

If it helps, I have had mine on for 2 years (no winters) and they look brand new still.
Old 05-28-2013, 06:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Awesome--thanks for the info! By the way, are you still running stock springs?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
Staging Lane

stock KW springs yes, at this point with all the rear bushings and bracings, I think i need to soften the compression settings a bit, just havent had the time to get the car up in the air lately.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by incubusjunkie614
stock KW springs yes, at this point with all the rear bushings and bracings, I think i need to soften the compression settings a bit, just havent had the time to get the car up in the air lately.
I'm going in the opposite direction. Presently evaluating the recommended compression and rebound settings. The rear springs are at least 150 in-lbs too soft--acceleration and cornering results in way too much load transfer. The only thing that has me hesitating is that Swift only sells springs in 20 Nm increments above 100 Nm. I'll either end up with 100/120 springs, or 120/140 (roughly 675 in-lbs/784 in-lbs).
Old 05-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
I'm going in the opposite direction. Presently evaluating the recommended compression and rebound settings. The rear springs are at least 150 in-lbs too soft--acceleration and cornering results in way too much load transfer. The only thing that has me hesitating is that Swift only sells springs in 20 Nm increments above 100 Nm. I'll either end up with 100/120 springs, or 120/140 (roughly 675 in-lbs/784 in-lbs).
hrmm...My plan is to soften the initial compression while keeping the rebound adjustment on the heavier (harder) side. I get almost no roll when cornering, from what I can tell the only difference we have is rear sway bars, mine is the addco rear bar. My car feels like the rear hits bumps very harshly, while the front continues to hit them softer, and I know with all the bushings, and spherical links, the shock is doing all the work, while the front is still on factory bushing set (c'mon rev shift) I get almost no squat under heavy acceleration, granted, you most likely have 40 hp on me, and I dont spin in first either on factory size tires. Overall the car feels very very neutral, but allows me rotation via throttle. Once I get my seats in, I may have to re-evaluate with more accuracy (not bracing myself). The only other thing I need is wheels and tires. A 275 square setup may change things regarding rotation and pitch/ squat.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have the 110Nm on the back with the stock 100Nm front but its a bit too firm for my better half after adding sway bars and even loosening up the bump/rebound some. I bought a 9inch 500in/lb for the front going to try that with the stock 90nm rear and see how that rides. I run a square 275/40 setup so I have these things cranked up near stock ride height to prevent rubbing in the front so this soft setup may not work without buying a different rear spring like a 100nm or sticking with the 110nm rear I have already. For the rear spring I did fit a H&R 60mm id in there but its tight which can be had at 10nm increments for 250mm/10inch lengths. I think a 65mm id would also work as well but don't know for sure. Which size of swift spring were you planning to use on the rear?
Old 05-29-2013, 05:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Try reducing your bump settings first. There's a great article that I would like to point you at, but can't because I'm on my phone. Essentially, the article states that shock compression dampening is best described as adding to your spring rate under bump loads, but under sustained loading, compression dampening is ineffective to control body lean because oil in the shock continuously flows through the valving like air out of a punctured tire.

I can back this up with personal experience. I went directly from the Ground Control kit with 650/700 in-lb springs to the stock KW Variant 3 kit with stock 574/514 springs. Initially, I didn't calibrate the shocks to recommended values, and immediately noted how harsh the ride was compared to my GC setup. Then I checked the shocks and found that their bump compression was 1/4 turn off full hard. Now I'm running recommended settings with the stock springs and the ride is incredibly compliant. Only complaints are associated with load transfer under hard, sustained braking, cornering, and acceleration. Solving those problems will require stiffer springs, which will require a reduction in compression dampening and an increase in rebound dampening to compensate.

I'll get you Swift part numbers when I get home.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Was considering:

2x Z70-203-120 front springs (8" length, 70mm ID, 120 N-m / 672 in-lbs)
2x Z60-228-140 rear springs (9" length, 60mm ID, 140 N-m / 784 in-lbs)

Still not sure. Been reading this thread now and again. The other option, which might cost me more in the long run, is to stick with the stock front springs and try a Z60-228-120 (9" length, 60mm ID, 120 N-m / 672 in-lbs) in the rear to reduce understeer.

Quick Reply: KW Variant 3 - is there any way to keep the boot down?