LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 LT1 camaro runs better with light on please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 LT1 camaro runs better with light on please help

I am new to the site so please forgive me if this has already been answered somewhere else. I searched the site and could not find same problem.

I have a 94 LT1 Camaro that was running bad so I let it sit for a year until I had the money to put into it. I started by replacing the opti with a MSD distributor opti replacement. I also changed the wires and sparkplugs. Started it up and found out that I had a header leak. Took off the headers to find out the passenger side had a crack in it. It was not deep so I took it to a guy who welded it up I ceramic coated the headers again and reinstalled them. I also replaced the passenger side o2 sensor because it looked bad. Started it up and it ran great, It used to break up at around 4500 rpm and now no problems what so ever except for the fans would not kick in. I replaced the water pump temp sensor and replaced the ground and still would not go on. So I direct wired the fans to a switch for now. I let it sit for two days to get tile and licenses and on her maiden voyage she started running rough as soon as it got up to temp. I rechecked the wires making sure non came loose. I took it out again and she did the same thing but worse. It runs real rough and when you try to get on it if it is in gear it will get to 4000 rpm and just stop it sounds like its flying but its not going anywhere. Until the check engine light comes on then she runs fine no misfire and good throttle response. If the light goes off and it always will after a few min then she runs like crap again. I have a obd 1 code reader and it is not showing a code. I purchased a new MAF sensor and am waiting for it to come in. I also thought about buying a new EGR valve. I am grasping at straws I would love some input if anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.
Everyone of the threads that are similar that I have read seems to point to a opti or plugs and wires which I am not completely ruling out but because I just replaced everything I am looking at every other possibility. Thanks again for any help. Its a 94 with SLP cold air intake with BBK shorty headers and flowmaster cat back system. I still have the cat. The car has 130,000 miles on her.

Last edited by smarlewski; 06-02-2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: to add the miles
Old 06-03-2013, 07:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like your having problems in closed loop. What maf did you buy? OEM or aftermarket?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Teching In

I purchased a tested used OEM MAF for now would like to get a better aftermarket but I want it to run correctly be for I start changing things.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Aftermarket mafs are nightmares, stay OEM.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^this

get a scanner and see whats going on
Old 06-04-2013, 08:07 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, What O2 did you purchase? There are several aftermarkets that have been known not to sit well with the PCM.

Also, you can hit enter twice when doing a post to help separate a long post. That was a bear to read.

Standalone LS Swap Harnesses IN STOCK!
LSX, LTX Stand alone swap harnesses. S10 LSX conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses, 24x conversion PLUG AND PLAY harnesses. LT1 to LSX PLUG AND PLAY Harnesses.
sales@bp-automotive.com
www.bp-automotive.com
1-888-467-4491
Old 06-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Default 02 sensor

I purchased a cheap one from ebay I was un aware that there were issues. I guess I should put the old back in and see if the situation changes. Thanks for the comments
Old 06-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Staging Lane

Had same issue with my car a few years ago never figured it out and sold car for a ws6

Quick Reply: 94 LT1 camaro runs better with light on please help