Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simple wiring Harness question

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple wiring Harness question

Ok... I just bought an 97/01 camaro wiring harness from summit, with the vats delete from painless wiring. My problem is, theres no alternator connectors what so ever put into the circuit. my theory is the circuit is run of the vehicles original fuse block circuit and key ignition wires. im sporting a 78 chevy pick up if your wandering, very simple harness. now the LS1 harness i got for the camaro, i believe i will have to run side by side the old harness... sound right? cause the new harness runs to the ecm and to the engine and trans thats about it, except for the starter, but the harness has no Alternator connector.
Im really confused, can some one help me?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be they assume use of a one wire alternator?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by rotor vs. piston
Could be they assume use of a one wire alternator?
that could be it, but why? they know better than that, it may be a stand alone. maybe im just dumbed out, and jumping the gun, there is two wires that run directly to the starter, one wire says Ignition B fuse block, and has its own fuse block relays. doesnt the original wiring harness on 70 on up have an alternator sensor wire that runs from that to the starter? then theres the hot wire that runs the original hot wire from the starter to the ignition for the HEI dizzy, wander if i can pull something off like that... thanks for the help, i may have more questions.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

A couple of questions, first 97/01 camaro doesn't make sense. 93-97 is one harness, 98 is by its self, and 99-02 are the same. Also your sig says you have an LM7. Do you have an F body type harness or a truck type harness? From there, you can just add the alternator wires, but it depends on the year of harness/PCM you're using.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
A couple of questions, first 97/01 camaro doesn't make sense. 93-97 is one harness, 98 is by its self, and 99-02 are the same. Also your sig says you have an LM7. Do you have an F body type harness or a truck type harness? From there, you can just add the alternator wires, but it depends on the year of harness/PCM you're using.
idk ill go through the pin out numbers and see if the ls harness matches the vortec pcm.
i have pinned out the Red 15 generator L terminal (Alternator on signal)
and red pin out 52 Generator Field duty cycle signal...
Old 06-05-2013, 05:31 PM

my bad its 99 to 02

its suppose to be an ls1 harness. heres a link to it http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-890122 .. its an 01 pcm
Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by 78QuickSilverTruck
idk ill go through the pin out numbers and see if the ls harness matches the vortec pcm.
i have pinned out the Red 15 generator L terminal (Alternator on signal)
and red pin out 52 Generator Field duty cycle signal...
F bodys only have one wire going to the plug on the alternator. You just need the C2-15 red wire, run it to the L terminal on the alternator. Then run your battery cables, positive from the batery to the starter and the big post on the alternator.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

As nova stated above just add the wire you need. I've seen these done like this before, but normally they will include the plug with a length of wire separate from the harness. These aren't custom built so there's no way of knowing where your alternator is going to be located so you have to do it yourself.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 AM

F bodys only have one wire going to the plug on the alternator. You just need the C2-15 red wire, run it to the L terminal on the alternator. Then run your battery cables, positive from the batery to the starter and the big post on the alternator.
Originally Posted by 1964SS
As nova stated above just add the wire you need. I've seen these done like this before, but normally they will include the plug with a length of wire separate from the harness. These aren't custom built so there's no way of knowing where your alternator is going to be located so you have to do it yourself.
Thanks guys. Im a newb here and i really appreciate it. My first LS swap, Nearly finished. And im only 20? really my first swap with something more modern into something so old. i got the info off lt1 swap.com but looks are decieving im finding it odd, i read on here Camaro Tps is C2 red 46, and injector 7 is C2 red 43, but i see that the vortec pcm is a lil different, on lt1 swap, injector 7 is C2 red 46, and the Tps is C2 red 43... wierd...

Quick Reply: Simple wiring Harness question