General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Do I really need a Tune? And Other small ?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need a Tune? And Other small ?s

Hey guys, Im finally starting to get some extra cash for my car.

But Some things need replaced as well so I just decided to upgrade.

Tires- Right now I have a pretty bald set of Yokohama ES100's. Which I like By the way heat them up a little and you can hook pretty decent. I'm probably going to replace them with Nitto 555r's anyone have experience with this tire?

Motor Mounts/ Torque arm bushing -
The stockers are shot! Originally I was thinking a set of Spohn Solids, I decided to Go with the Prothane Kit from Jegs with All 3 mounts. I am concerned that the solids would shake the car to much. As well as a prothane Bushing for the torque arm. How is your experience with these mounts?

Finally the tune-
My car seems to backfire alot I mean not TOO much, but often enough maybe somethings off? I was Considering buying the 150$ tune From frost to see if it makes a difference and if nothing else I'm sure my car will gain a little bit of performance. I just dont want to waste money When I do intend on purchasing LT's. It would be nice to Do The LT's during the motor mounts but I dont have the money for The Hooker 1 7/8s that I want I would've but as you all know our tires aren't cheap. So is the tune worth it?

My Goal is To get the Car bolted up and Cammed Within the next 4-5 months.

Thanks.

Last edited by GMTheOnlyWay1; 06-13-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:29 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

If the car is stock and you have abnormal misfires, then a tune is not what you need. Something is wrong with (or affecting) A/F delivery or spark. These cars didn't back-fire (what you are probably describing is actually after-firing) from the factory, so correction of the issue isn't a matter of needing a custom tune but rather performing the proper repair(s). Do you have scanning/data logging equipment? This is going to be an extremely valuable tool in diagnosing such issues.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Staging Lane

I do not. What would be the process of elimination? I have a New Fuel Filter I can get some MAF cleaner And plugs. Could it be the coils? I haven't messed with them at all but maybe the previous owner did.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

A good cleaning of the MAF and some fresh plugs certainly wouldn't hurt. Many driveability issues can be traced back to dirty MAFs, and it's a free and easy thing to do so that's a great starting point. Another likely area that could cause such problems would be front O2 sensor(s).

Do you have an active MIL (service engine light)? You would need a scanner to read any codes, and there may be stored codes even if you don't actually see the SES light.

You can always throw parts at a car and you might get lucky and solve the issue, but scanning equipment really helps to narrow things down when working on a modern EFI engine.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:06 PM
Staging Lane

The only light that has came on since I've owned the car is the Oil Change and that's because I didn't reset it my last change.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't drove the car for the last week Because of the issues. I'm going to try and get my hands on a diagnostic tool I really hope it isn't anything too pricey the mounts and tires are already holding me back for awhile. I'd like to do some modding. sigh..
Old 06-14-2013, 02:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can offer expirience with the 555r, had them couple months now, track twice and street runs. Hook really well for a mild bolt on car. In fact if they are warmed up a little impossible to spin unless u stand on the brake.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JDEP162
I can offer expirience with the 555r, had them couple months now, track twice and street runs. Hook really well for a mild bolt on car. In fact if they are warmed up a little impossible to spin unless u stand on the brake.
Yeah I've heard alot of positives about the 555r. Dead hook sounds nice, thanks man.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Definitely listen to RPM WS6 on the misfire. Getting the car tuned when it is not in good running condition is likely to magnify the issue.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like you need a tune up, not a tune.

Check plugs, wires, coils, clean sensors, maybe run some injector cleaner, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Definitely listen to RPM WS6 on the misfire. Getting the car tuned when it is not in good running condition is likely to magnify the issue.
Most Definitely Wont Do any tuning or even driving for that matter tell the issue is resolved. I Pulled everything off to the TB right now. Im going Down to pick up some MAF cleaner and Plugs. Should I buy Ngk tr55s? or just Factory replacements? I Have a Fuel filter right now That I can get swapped In. I'm trying to get a hold of my uncle to see if he has a diagnostic scanner. What other things should i check?

Thanks Guys I really appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: Do I really need a Tune? And Other small ?s