Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

questions on fuel rails for truck motor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questions on fuel rails for truck motor?

Have a 01 5.3 truck motor. Im looking at putting an aftermarket fuel system into my turbo fox mustang. For the fuel system i am running 10 an and 8 return. I plan on running a aeromotive fpr for the return. As far as the rails I am stuck. There are a bunch of options for the rails but all I have seen is problems. Any help would be appreciated thanks.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say truck motor, but are you using the truck intake or have you swapped to a car intake? If you are using a truck intake I believe you can run any of the aftermarket fuel rails, like ones for a ls1/ls6 intake, FAST, Aeromotive, $100 eBay ones etc etc. Issue is you will probably need to make up your own mounting brackets for the rails.

What problems are you talking about with fuel rails?
Old 06-14-2013, 04:07 AM
On The Tree

Yea I am using the truck intake. I was referring to the mounting brackets for the rails and ease of use as I am going to have the supply line coming from the tank to regulator to rails and have the return going from regulator to tank. I had read a bit and somewhere I saw that some of the intakes had a diffferent injector boss in the intake. I am using tall Siemen Deka 80 lb injectors on my setup.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Default ?????

Originally Posted by 87lsttop
Yea I am using the truck intake. I was referring to the mounting brackets for the rails and ease of use as I am going to have the supply line coming from the tank to regulator to rails and have the return going from regulator to tank. I had read a bit and somewhere I saw that some of the intakes had a diffferent injector boss in the intake. I am using tall Siemen Deka 80 lb injectors on my setup.
Don't think you want to plumb the rails and reg as you have described.
I suggest: Tank to 1 rail, [w/crossover on other end of the rails], or dual feed on the rails, and the other ends tied to the reg, then back to tank.
As for mounts, I fabbed mine from sheetmetal. No issues. [Remember, if you do this, consider that the rails are not vertical]
Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
Don't think you want to plumb the rails and reg as you have described.
I suggest: Tank to 1 rail, [w/crossover on other end of the rails], or dual feed on the rails, and the other ends tied to the reg, then back to tank.
As for mounts, I fabbed mine from sheetmetal. No issues. [Remember, if you do this, consider that the rails are not vertical]

Thanks for the insight geez
Old 08-28-2013, 09:08 AM
On The Tree

Ok so I now have the fuel system mounted in the car. -10 from tank to a1000 pump, -10 feed to fast fuel rails, -8 rail crossover, -8 from rail to aeromotive boost regulator (other port capped off), -8 return to tank. I can hear the pump come on loud and clear. Car ran 2 days ago now wont stay running. One problem I see is I dont see fuel pressure on the gauge when the pump is in the priming stage. Could this be the regulator at fault? Any ways to check it?
Old 08-28-2013, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Is it possible that your pump is sucking air somewhere between the tank and pump inlet? That could cause it to lose its prime when the pump isn't running.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:21 PM
On The Tree

that is a possibility. I was planning on adding more gas to see if that helps fix the problem. Maybe need more head pressure.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:43 PM
Staging Lane

Good call, top off the tank and see what happens.

What do you have for a pick-up inside the tank?
Old 08-28-2013, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Did some more research with the ole lady. Measured the voltage to the pump. 12v Rules out electrical. Pulled the pre filter off to see if it was clogged, jNope. Pulled the outlet side of the a1000 off to see the pressure, voila I found my problem. Small amount of pressure coming from the outlet side. Looks like I will be getting rid of the caretech fuel pickup tube and either sumping the tank or finding a better pump to allow me to use the pickup system. I really don't like the sumped tank look as I have a cobra bumper and prefer not to see lines hanging out the back.

Quick Reply: questions on fuel rails for truck motor?