Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looks like I need a new trans, what company?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Looks like I need a new trans, what company?

Here is the deal, i need a new 4L60E for my 1994 Camaro. The trans in the car has been rebuilt 3 times since Ive owned the car. This is over the space of 3 years. I'm done screwing with it honestly. I want to buy a nice heavey duty trans for it, but not sure where i should order from.

Performabuilt

Finish Line

Other?

Im in Wisconsin, so FLT wouldnt be more than a 2 hour drive from the house. On the other hand, the waranty that Performabuilt has looks awesome.

What would you suggest?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

RPM or FLT /thread.

Do a search and read all the previous threads like this and itll help you out a lot. There is a reason that both of the trans companies I mentioned are recommended by many.

I know this question isnt asked often but did you put a new cooler or torque converter in when you had to get the trans rebuilt those 3 times? Do you plan on getting new ones when you get your new trans from whoever it may be?
Old 06-18-2013, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rpm transmissions hands down. I wouldn't take mine anywhere else besides them
Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjs1012
RPM or FLT /thread.

Do a search and read all the previous threads like this and itll help you out a lot. There is a reason that both of the trans companies I mentioned are recommended by many.

I know this question isnt asked often but did you put a new cooler or torque converter in when you had to get the trans rebuilt those 3 times? Do you plan on getting new ones when you get your new trans from whoever it may be?
The first time it was rebuilt, it was put back together with the stock converter, no idea if it was all flushed out. (before I purchased the car)

The second time, we threw out the old converter, I had a new radiator, and added a 3600 PTC stall along with a B&M cooler. lines were flushed.

Third time was because of low fluid, toasted the clutches and all soft parts. Converter and trans lines were SUPPOSEDLY flushed.... there is some question to that now.

I will be buying new lines, flushing the radiator and cooler myself, and probably getting a new converter.

The plus to FLT is that they are 2 hours away... i can drive down and pick a trans up from them.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If theyre that close Id do that. Give Chuck a call hes a good guy to deal with.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Quazz
The plus to FLT is that they are 2 hours away... i can drive down and pick a trans up from them.
That makes it a no brainer to me. FLT has a good reputation and they are within driving distance.
RPM is a great company as well but in this industry, it always a good thing (for the customer and the vendor) if the vendor is within driving distance. Occasionally you'll get into weird issues especially in this age of electronic transmissions that a knowledgeable shop/tech can easily diagnose when they have the car in front of them, but not so easy to do on the internet or phone.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I've been dealing with FLT lately getting my 4l60e rebuilt and Im blown away with the amazing customer service. They definitely build a quality transmission and the turnaround time is extremely quick. Living 2hrs away would definitely make it a no brainer for me, that'll save you the hasle of shipping.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You haven't confirmed whats wrong with your old one yet. I wouldn't be shelling out $2k before i have even read the codes the car is throwing.

Quick Reply: Looks like I need a new trans, what company?