Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Was Driven Into Water!!! What do I do? Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car Was Driven Into Water!!! What do I do? Any Suggestions?

I own a 98 Camaro SS with about 90000 miles. Not to long from now Corpus Christi had a lot of rain. With only one way to get to work I took my chance. Water came over the hood and into the ram air duct. I checked the filter and it was wet. I pushed the car outside till the rain had stopped. Now when I turn on the car in makes a knocking noise. It sounds like a lifter but I'm not sure. Anyone have any suggestions of what I should do to get this car back on the road. Let me know please.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:52 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My first question is does the car turnover? If so, pull all the plugs then try to start the car. My second question is what kind of knocking noise? If the noise is not there after trying to start the car with the plugs out then proceed to step two. Once all the water is out via continued starting and turning off the car. Put in some new plugs, change the oil and move on. By the way.. I am not a mechanic, but this worked with my old honda b4 I traded it in..
Old 04-27-2004, 07:57 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Sorry for your misfortune. Does it have a pretty bad oil leak right now? Check your oil for water.

Originally Posted by VINCE
By the way.. I am not a mechanic,..
To the dealership service mgr: But this guy Vince from the internet said to...
Old 04-27-2004, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry to here that... how far did you you have the throttle open? One day I was coming home from school and tried to make it through 6 inches of water and cracked the block. But, I guess it worked out for the best, my insurance company bought me a 408.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Pull the intake and open the throttle body to see how much water is in there. If you have water gush out the intake, go ahead and pull the plugs and drain the oil. If you have already turned the car over and over, chances are you may have to replace the starter as well. If there was alot of water in the intake, I would also pull the intake and dry eveything out and then reinstall. Chances are if you were in a low RPM, you prabably didn't do major damage, if you were, you could still get lucky. Sorry for your mishap, and good luck!

Derek
Old 04-27-2004, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude, we got about 9" of rain on my side of town(del mar area) the southside got it worse. thank god my car was on stands.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cracked my block through some screwed up roadway here in nashville. Insurance payed for my new motor as well! Good thing too...old motor was a turd...new one is doing juuuuusssttt fine!!

Good luck man..
Tim
Old 04-27-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

If you cranked the engine with water on top of the piston(s) you're what they call fucked.. If water was sitting on top of the piston and you hit the starter it will force the piston up and the water will be resistance and viola you bent a rod or two....To be honest the plugs needed pulling before ever hitting the key..

Good Luck

Jeremy
Old 04-27-2004, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sercastiK
If you cranked the engine with water on top of the piston(s) you're what they call fucked.. If water was sitting on top of the piston and you hit the starter it will force the piston up and the water will be resistance and viola you bent a rod or two....To be honest the plugs needed pulling before ever hitting the key..

Good Luck

Jeremy
It's called hydrolock Had an 92 camaro rs that went though hurricane fran back in 98/99 (don't remember) And the water came up to the radio on it So i proceeded to take the plugs out, turn it by the crank pulley bolt, got some water out. Drooped the oil pan and trans pan, replaced all plugs and wires, oil and trans filters. Then it was good to go
Old 04-27-2004, 11:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to here about your car. I'm in south corpus it was bad. There's a new sub going in over by yorktown and cimmaron. I saw people standing in there garages in there brand new houses in water over there knees. Best of luck.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

If I were you, I'd do exactly what Kens_02SS sugested. I could not have said it better myself. You'll more likely than not be okay since it's running at all, but better safe than sorry. Worst case though, you have an excuse to take her apart and do the things you know you've been wanting to do to her anyway. You may even want to consiter making the insurance claim on it. Look @ Black&White's insurance story. Good luck on whichever course you decide on.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've repaired 3 different hydrolocked LS1s, 2 bent rods and one sent a rod throught the side of the block. Did your engine shut off when you went through the water? If so you almost definately bent a rod.

A Firehawk I put an engine in was just idling through a deep puddle when his locked up. The engine still turned, but 2 rods were bent. So if your engine shut down , and you restarted it and now hear a knock, chances are its because a piston is slightly cocked in its bore from the rod being bent.

Good news is that it's definately covered under your comprehensive coverage on your insurance, and if you find a shop that will work with you, as opposed to a dealer, you can come out on top.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VINCE
My first question is does the car turnover? If so, pull all the plugs then try to start the car. My second question is what kind of knocking noise? If the noise is not there after trying to start the car with the plugs out then proceed to step two. Once all the water is out via continued starting and turning off the car. Put in some new plugs, change the oil and move on. By the way.. I am not a mechanic, but this worked with my old honda b4 I traded it in..
What I went ahead and did was flush out the engine with motor flush and replace all the filters. The noise still continued. I just hope I dont have to rebuilt the engine. Thanx for the reply.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you also got water into the passenger compartment you better pull the seats out and remove the carpeting and floor padding. If it is wet is will mildew real soon and your going to love the smell of fresh mildew not to mention the mold and bacteria that will result. I'd put a dehumidifier inside of the car and let it run for a few days to get ALL the moisture out.