Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-body power steering cooler...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Default F-body power steering cooler...

I did a little searching around but I couldn't find the answer that I was looking for. On a recent trip, while sitting in traffic, I noticed that my steering effort got really heavy. This is the second time that I noticed this happening and I suspect that the fluid is getting too hot.

So I picked up a 4th gen power steering cooler and plan on installing it in the upper radiator hose.

My questions is:

Are there any installation considerations with respect to the position to the cooler in relation to the reservoir? Can the cooler be above the reservoir? Does it matter?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Most people take that cooler off because it actually heats up the fluid too much.

What does your fluid look like? Has it ever been flushed? Since its not doing it all the time you might get away with having it flushed.

It could be the pump or possibly the rack but with out a pressure gauge I don't know of a good way to check and the gauge would have to be hooked up when it was actually messing up.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should look into doing something like this instead. https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...g-success.html

With the coolant running through GM's "power steering cooler" it won't cool near as much as the kind of coolers posted above will.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Most people take that cooler off because it actually heats up the fluid too much.

What does your fluid look like? Has it ever been flushed? Since its not doing it all the time you might get away with having it flushed.

It could be the pump or possibly the rack but with out a pressure gauge I don't know of a good way to check and the gauge would have to be hooked up when it was actually messing up.
I don't have a rack. This is in a 1970 GTO, and it has an AGR steering box. The swap has about 7K miles on it, I don't see how the fluid can be effected by so few miles.

The coolant system runs at 195 degrees, I suspect heated power steering fluid is hotter than that, so how can a cooler heat it up? The f-body cooler uses a Laminova core, which is very efficient.

Andrew
Old 06-23-2013, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have those mounted in both my Chevelle and Nova. both of them are about mid height of the Reservoir, but not higher.

I do not think it would be a good idea of having it higher than the reservoir high mark level.

For my Chevelle, I had issue while under acceleration, the system would lock up and would not be able to turn the Wheel. This would sometime happen for a moment or until the power was left off. Once I installed the cooler, the problem never returned.

BC
Old 06-23-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bczee
I have those mounted in both my Chevelle and Nova. both of them are about mid height of the Reservoir, but not higher.

I do not think it would be a good idea of having it higher than the reservoir high mark level.

For my Chevelle, I had issue while under acceleration, the system would lock up and would not be able to turn the Wheel. This would sometime happen for a moment or until the power was left off. Once I installed the cooler, the problem never returned.

BC
BC,

Do you have any pictures? I am using the Corvette accessory drive, which has the reservoir pretty high. Your Chevelle should be pretty much ideantical to my GTO.

Andrew
Old 06-23-2013, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You should keep it below the reservoir to reduce the chance of air being sucked in. I went to the junk yard and found a cooler from van and installed it in front of my condenser on my center core support. Not sure if I'm going to need it yet, but I'd rather have it than need it.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Caravans run a finned steering cooler. I think its the one pictured above.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here you go.. this one is from my Chevelle.. The Nova one is setup like this also, but the

BC
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

BC,

Thanks for the pics. Very helpful.

Andrew

Quick Reply: F-body power steering cooler...