Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LNC2000 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LNC2000 Questions

Hello everyone. I'm running an LNC 2000 with my Nitrous Outlet plate kit. The LNC box is working just fine but I have a few questions about the functionality and use of it for my application...

The first thing is that I have noticed that the LNC2000 gets a little wet when I wash the car. It is mounted under the hood on the driver side shock tower. It does not get soaked or submerged obviously, but I have noticed that it does in fact get wet. I am hoping that this isn't going to be a problem for the unit? I have tested the unit after getting it wet and it still works just fine. But for future reference should I move the unit or protect it somehow from the elements?

My second question is, has anyone set up some kind of gauge or light to confirm that timing is being pulled? I know that at this time the LNC2000 is pulling timing because I checked the voltage output of the green (i believe) wire output. However, how would I know if the box is malfunctioning and not pulling timing at a later date? Judging by the output wire on the LNC, it would seem as if I could maybe hook up a battery voltage gauge to it to confirm that it is pulling timing when the solenoids activate? I realize that I wouldn't really be able to tell how much timing is being pulled, but at least the voltage gauge will tell me that something is happening at the right moments . I appreciate any insight. Thank you everyone!
Old 06-26-2013, 01:37 AM
12 Second Club

excellent idea, id like the same thing. similar to a small shift light that pops up when the timing pulling is occurring. maybe an expert or someone from LPE will answer this...
Old 06-26-2013, 09:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would advise wrapping the box is a plastic bag while washing the engine bay. It is not water tight.

You can hook HP tuners or EFI live to the box to verify its pulling timing. Other than that and the voltage meter I have no other method to suggest.
Dave
Old 06-27-2013, 03:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thank you for the help. I am hoping that LPE can give me some insight on this. I really don't like the idea of not truly knowing is timing is being pulled, especially if the box can be damaged by water.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've checked mine with a meter before, but I'd love an indicator light as well.

The alky kit on my GN has one to let me know it's spraying and I love that piece of mind.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:22 AM
DSS
Staging Lane

its the Gray wire BTW that put out voltage when its pulling timing,

just get a nice high end Voltage-Meter with a back light, it works like a charm,

would be sick if there a voltage gauge that reads that low
Old 06-27-2013, 08:55 AM
Launching!

i think its .25 volts for every degree pulled if i remember right.. grey wire is what u check it on. they need to make something that shows activation. i would buy asap. just like the fact of knowing its doing what it should
Old 06-27-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

That's right. I couldn't remember if its the gray or the green on the output. I've checked it with a volt meter before but I think some kind of method to indicate to the user on the fly that it's pulling timing would be very useful. It would seem like it would be fairly easy for LPE to make some kind of indicator gauge seeing as the LNC already has the output. Thank you again everyone.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Timing retard active indicator

I will see what we can come up with. I don't recall how much current that output can drive. I am fairly certain it is low but it might be enough to run a small LED. I will test that. If so then you could have an LED mounted inside the vehicle indicating that timing is being taken out but you wouldn't know how much.

A small 0-5 volt panel meter/gauge would probably also work. Probably not something everyone wants visible inside the car though. Here is a link to a 0-5volt panel meter that might work:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10285

I might try getting one or something like it to test. Might even be able to take it apart and change the text from volts to degrees.

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
That's right. I couldn't remember if its the gray or the green on the output. I've checked it with a volt meter before but I think some kind of method to indicate to the user on the fly that it's pulling timing would be very useful. It would seem like it would be fairly easy for LPE to make some kind of indicator gauge seeing as the LNC already has the output. Thank you again everyone.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Water

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I would advise wrapping the box is a plastic bag while washing the engine bay. It is not water tight.

You can hook HP tuners or EFI live to the box to verify its pulling timing. Other than that and the voltage meter I have no other method to suggest.
Dave
I would agree with Dave on the plastic bag idea. If you are pressure washing or just washing in the engine compartment in any way, I would put the LNC inside a plastic bag and then tape/zip tie/twist tie it shut. The units are fully potted with epoxy inside so the primary area of concern is the switches themselves. Any kind of direct high pressure water could enter the switch housing and damage the switch itself.

A little water on the outside on the other hand shouldn't be a problem. If you were worried about it getting covered in water (maybe in an off-road truck application or something like that) I would recommend putting a clear plastic tape/film over the cover to seal the switches (adjustment dials). Then peal back the tape when you want to make adjustments. We have a marine customer that does that with some of our RPM switch devices and other modules.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Sounds good. I assumed that the innards of the LNC had that gel stuff on the inside to protect it, I will tape up the switches to protect the unit. I don't pressure wash the engine bay or anything, I just noticed that water does end up on the unit after a regular wash. I would assume that the water enters from the gap between the hood and fender. I will look into using a small panel meter to use as a gauge for the LNC. I just don't know where I would mount something like that . Reminds me of back to the future. Thank you for the assistance!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
I will see what we can come up with. I don't recall how much current that output can drive. I am fairly certain it is low but it might be enough to run a small LED. I will test that. If so then you could have an LED mounted inside the vehicle indicating that timing is being taken out but you wouldn't know how much.

A small 0-5 volt panel meter/gauge would probably also work. Probably not something everyone wants visible inside the car though. Here is a link to a 0-5volt panel meter that might work:

I might try getting one or something like it to test. Might even be able to take it apart and change the text from volts to degrees.
thanks for chiming in Jason, was hoping to hear from you on this one, seems a lot of us are interested in this, if u can figure something out and let us know/writeup thatd be awsome
Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not make a square aluminum piece that goes over top of it?
Old 06-27-2013, 11:57 PM
DSS
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE

i just made a mount for the big Fluke Voltage-Meter it has a really big screen and back light also lol, and super accurate
Old 06-28-2013, 02:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DSS
i just made a mount for the big Fluke Voltage-Meter it has a really big screen and back light also lol, and super accurate
That actually ain't a bad idea. Extend the green output wire into the interior and hook it up to a regular *** multimeter. lol temporary solution
Old 06-28-2013, 04:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Display

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
Sounds good. I assumed that the innards of the LNC had that gel stuff on the inside to protect it, I will tape up the switches to protect the unit. I don't pressure wash the engine bay or anything, I just noticed that water does end up on the unit after a regular wash. I would assume that the water enters from the gap between the hood and fender. I will look into using a small panel meter to use as a gauge for the LNC. I just don't know where I would mount something like that . Reminds me of back to the future. Thank you for the assistance!
I will see if we can come up with a more product specific solution as well.

Thinking about it, the panel meter I linked to probably wouldn't work well since the needle might bounce around a bit and might be hard to read in the vehicle. A digital panel meter would be better. With the correct circuitry you could even get it to display in degrees instead of volts.

Here are some fairly low cost digital panel meters:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/0-56-Mini-DC-0V-30V-Voltmeter-Red-LED-Display-Volt-Meter-Digital-Panel-Meter-/321120065083?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ac43f563bhttp://www.ebay.com/itm/4-1-2-Blue-LED-DC-20V-Digital-Volt-Voltage-Panel-Meter-/350261421525?hash=item518d3525d5http://www.ebay.com/itm/UP8035-BLUE-LCD-DC-20V-Digital-Volt-Meter-Power-6-15V-/350267526414?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item518d924d0ehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Blue-LED-Digital-Volt-Meter-4-5-30V-For-9V-12V-24V-/181124765560?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a2be09778
Old 06-29-2013, 06:19 AM
12 Second Club

Jason those are some nice simple digi gauges, can u tell me/us exactly how we wud wire one of those to the lnc? My true interest was simply a small light popping on so i know the box is kicking in while spraying. But it these wud work as described that wud be great too. Sowire them how...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:08 AM
TECH Regular

I went ahead and purchased one of the digital volt meters listed above. I bought one that doesn't need a separate power source. Will report back to see how it works. I still have no idea where I am going to put it. Cutting square holes in switch panels is no fun!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:19 AM
12 Second Club

Glad to hear our going at it, anxious to see results, way to take one for the team.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

bumping to keep this alive, keep us posted jason and ktk

Quick Reply: LNC2000 Questions