Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Looking for a weekend toy...CTS-V?? Reliability concerns? mainly the diff...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a weekend toy...CTS-V?? Reliability concerns? mainly the diff...

So I've been kicking around the idea of selling my current car, getting a cheaper beater (10 to 12k) like a 2010 Fusion or something...then getting a weekend car. The C5 Z06 is on the list as is a C4 (LT4 perhaps) and the CTS-V is now on the list because honestly I had just forgotten about it until I had one next to me on the road this week.

I was a huge fan of the CTS-V, drove one several times on a race track at a GM event. Great chassis and great engine and transmission. The car turns in crisply and the body motions were well controlled.

I'm looking for something to play with, ultimately tinker a bit on for weekends and to hit the road course a few times a year.

The C4 has a lot of emotion appeal but it has a blah chassis compared with the C5 or CTS-V.
At this point I'd put the CTS-V or Z06 as the front runners. The Z06 is obviously lighter and a better performer and I think putting only a few thousand miles a year on the car would probably depreciate less than the caddy.
The CTS-V is a sport sedan which I've always been a big fan of the sport sedan category...the car has benefits for a guy like myself with a family. We can take the caddy to dinner, to the lake, to see friends/family without having to take two cars in the event I want to drive the "Fun" car.

My concern is the diff issue is pretty significant on 04/05 cars...seems like it got improved significantly in 06. But GM and Getrag also have rebuild kits available that are now pretty good for just a couple thousand dollars? At least thats what I gathered from reading that ENTIRE diff thread...additionally, I've read a couple other threads here and at another couple caddy boards. It's hard to find succinct information on the diff issue.

I've also seen a smattering of "Starter issue" threads. That boggles my mind, you'd think GM could have figured out how to build a starter that doesn't fail in 2004...never had a lick of troubles out of my 95 trans am in that regard.

It's certainly possible that whatever I get could eventually get a cam, full exhaust (as long as it doesn't drone) and perhaps some other work, but I will keep whatever I get relatively mild.

Any significant differences between the LS6 and LS2 cars? In the magazines the LS6 cars seem to generate the better times...but the LS2 you start out with a bit more displacement which could result in a bit more power down the road as parts are added/changed. Ultimately though, I've been out of the car game for awhile and just buying fun cars that were different from the big torque big displacement cars I used to drive. Now I can afford a decent weekend car

Any other significant issues or things to watch out for? Any thoughts or suggestions on what I'm considering?

Thank you all for your time and consideration...
Old 06-27-2013, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people that chime in will say that depending on the car you are looking at the diff could be an upgraded unit. There are some for sale that already have aftermarket axles that supposedly help the wheel hop issue. Like you, I have been through the threads about the diffs and I'm just hoping that I can keep the wheel hop at bay until I get the money for a 8.8 swap. My diff seems to be going well so far. I have 83k miles on it and it isn't whining badly yet. I haven't looked yet as to which generation I have. But you can find that info on the cadillac faq website. I believe the link is in the stickies here in the V section. I LOVE the headers and exhaust I got, it all bolted up with absolutely no issues, but there are cheaper options out there. Pacesetter makes some, OBX, Kooks, plenty of options. I haven't had a starter issue yet. Maybe that was on cars built on 'Friday' so to speak.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I also use my V as a weekend car/fun car, and was in the market for a sports sedan. I wanted something that was "under the radar" to 95% of the people on the road. The early gen diffs are a problem, but with the options that are out there now, Gen 4 diff or 8.8 kit, it doesnt worry me too much. This car consistently puts a smile on my face every time I fire her up and take her for a drive. The car is refined but raw, especially once you start modding her, she will really come to life.

There are the usual things to look for, diff, motor mounts, trans mounts, all to me are simple replacements that make a huge difference in the car. Honestly in my almost 2 years of ownership, I have loved every moment of driving my V, dont think you can go wrong! Caution though, if you buy a V, this forum will help lighten your wallet!
Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would do the v just on the fact that you have a family. Drives great. Good power. Good handling. Easy to mod. You can do all those things to in a vett but like you said you don't want to have to take two cars when out with the family.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 PM
TECH Regular

For every 1 person who frags a diff you have 10 others that don't.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The diff issue was a problem about 3+ years ago, but now there are so many fixes and band-aids that it is a non-issue.
The best way to keep a stock diff alive is to be smart and know its limits.
Don't drop the clutch from a stop and don't powershift are the 2 big ones.
My 05V came with the 3rd gen diff which I believe was for the 06-07's, so I got lucky there.
I'm still running the stock axles too, and I've only wheel hopped 2 times in the last 2 years.
I don't come across many starter issues with V's, so I don't think that's a problem, and even if it was, it's a cheap fix.
As far as the LS6 vs LS2, I have not been in a LS2 car yet, so no experience there, but I LOVE the LS6.
It loves to scream. You can beat on it all you want and, unless your name is PISNUOFF(aka 07CTS-V), it comes back asking for more.
When I eventually move on to the V2, the LS6 is what I think I'll miss more than anything from the V1.
Good luck with whatever you choose
Old 06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

It all depends. I bought my '06 (LS2) in January of '10 as a daily driver and nothing else, and initially I was happy with it. But after a couple of years, it literally started falling apart...

These are badass cars, but don't let the novelty of owing a "stealthy Caddy" get the best of your checkbook. The electrical system is finicky. My car now tells me I need to turn on my headlights no matter what time of day or how sunny it is every time I start it. The wipers don't shut off unless I unplug the connector under the hood. The driver's side seat heater no longer works (not a fuse or relay either, I checked). In order to change the headlight bulbs or headlight housing corner/parking lights, you literally have to remove the entire front bumper cover.

The engine mounts, tranny mount, and rear differential mounts are garbage. Mine were bad at 48,000 miles. The 2-piece steel driveshaft will eventually eat it's own bearings - and the only fix is to either replace it with a new unit (roughly $800), or go with an aftermarket unit ($800-1400).

The paint on the radio buttons will flake off. A lot of mine were gone at around 50,000 miles and although the interior is a nice place to be, but it's pretty dated by today's standards. The OEM shifter sucks, but there are a few cures for that, obviously.

The later '06-07 cars' rear differential isn't exactly bulletproof. Better than '04-05, sure, but still crap, really. Plus, you'll constantly have tools in V6 CTSs try to race you all of the time. To non GM/LS car guys, it's a "fake V" because when most people think of CTS-Vs, they think of the 2009+ versions. I've been told my car has "the wrong body" for it to be a CTS-V from a few different "enthusiasts."

Not to mention the second-gen V has completely overshadowed these cars, and you barely hear or read about them anymore to the point to they are basically slipping away into obscurity. Even the generally un-loved GTO gets more attention and press than the 1st-Gen V.

Oh, and the deprecation will kill you. These things stickered for over $50k new, and by the time I bought mine it was possible to buy a decent one for $15,000 when they were four years old. I paid $23k for mine.

Overall I like the car, but I sometimes wished I had bought something else. On paper, it would be a great buy and a great performance car with excellent all-around performance. But in the real world, GM should have invested a little more money and time in these cars before they were released.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Take internet/forum info with a grain of salt. You don't see people posting threads about how good their diff or starter is working. On the webz you only see the bad side of things.
Old 06-28-2013, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why a weekend car? Daily it with the fam!!!

Its what I do and no complaints with three kids and all the soccer gear thrown in the trunk. And a 36 pack of beers from Costco!

... Sadly the 911 sits in the garage a lot more than it used to.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't have the V as a weekend car. I use mine as a daily in NYC in all weather.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
For every 1 person who frags a diff you have 10 others that don't.
True story, I think I wheel hop'ed mine twice when I first bought it and since then I have learned to drive around it.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cgroh89
True story, I think I wheel hop'ed mine twice when I first bought it and since then I have learned to drive around it.
they don't wheel hop so bad if it fairly sideways , mostly hop while pointing straight , but hey my diff is still working so .....
Old 04-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Teching In

I have one for sale where are you located
Old 04-26-2017, 06:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Juanit0
I have one for sale where are you located
This is a 4 year old thread.

Quick Reply: Looking for a weekend toy...CTS-V?? Reliability concerns? mainly the diff...