Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

LS1 platform vs LS6 platform, bolt ons, cams, etc???

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 platform vs LS6 platform, bolt ons, cams, etc???

Hello all,

The Corvette is what started the "car bug" with me and I think the time has come to pull the trigger. I was originally after a C4 but decided buying the sentimental favorite is not the best "first" vette because this car will see road race duty a few times a year and will be used to drive, sometimes distances of a few hundred miles to see friends/family etc. I've about decided the C5 is such a better platform that until I build a second garage in 5-7 years, I'll stick with one vette and a C5...the only other car on the list right now is the CTS-V (first gen).

I'm looking to pickup a vette between now and the end of the year. I want a low mileage car 40-50k, 6MT, hatchback or FRC, and something that has been well cared for. The Z06 was originally the car on the list if I went C5. But lots of additional research has me thinking an LS1 car would likely be similar on the track, especially since my long term plans included bolt ons (nothing radical) and a decent cam (again nothing radical). I'd like to be in the 400 to 425 rwhp. This should ensure driveability around town and offer plenty of power on the track days.

If/when I get a car the first thing on the list would be your typical bolt ons, long tubes, likely a corsa exhaust because the don't have that horrid drone and air intake. But do those mods provide real gains on the vette? I know on the F-bodies (former fbody owner) they seemed to provide real gains but they were also a bit more "choked" from GM vs the Corvette.

My reasoning for not being as fired up about the z06 is this:
Parts are getting harder to find, for example the first through third gear ratios in the transmission are exclusive to the Z06 and CTS-V which presents problems if/when something gets broken. I've also read finding rear diff parts is getting tough, tires are also getting hard to find in factory sizes and you're limited to 2 or 3 options. Insurance is a touch more as well...although thats negligible...I'd also pay a few thousand more for the car. If I went C5 I could just take that 2k or 3k and immediately begin working on the car (which is a big part of the fun IMO).

I think I could find a low mileage excellent condition C5 for 16-17k. I'd probably avoid 97/98 just because first two years of the model run.

I know that's a longish post but I wanted you all to see my POV, to provide your insights on anything from platform to mods, etc....
Old 06-30-2013, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The C5s are becoming bargain hot rods as the prices come down since the
C6 is at it's end and the 7 is right around the corner. The Zo6 is about 150
lbs lighter than a base Vette; will handle better, and has the 243 casting
heads (roughly 25 horse better than 241s); however you may want the
removeable targa top for those long cruises. Also a Z51 suspension coupe or
the magnetic ride suspension (03-04) will still get ya through the turns nice.
For power...YES the air intake, Corsa CB , and long tubes do make a notice-
able jump in power but you'll want a cam and some CNC'd 241 or 243 heads
to really meet or exceed your 425 rear wheel goal. All the info/suggestions
you need are on this site.....WELCOME.....
Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Ls6's can make the power your looking for with just bolt-ons. Check the sig. For what you want to do a Z06 would be perfect. There is more to them than a engine change.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:16 AM
Teching In

If you are looking for Corvette Performance, find a late model C5 Z06.

Bolt on and be happy

CCA
Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

There is no significant difference between the LS1 and LS6 under the heads. You can add the 243 heads, cam of your choice, 2001+ intake manifold, headers, exhaust and cold air intake and do 425 at the wheels easily.

Z06 suspension or better bolts on easily.
The differentials are the same for all the 6spd cars. The Z did get shotpeened gears, no big deal there. Diffs are easily strengthned with C6 parts.

I don't know about the M6, I'm an A4 guy......

Tire and wheels are interchangeable between the 2.

I would think the best bang for the buck might be a 2000 Fixed Roof Coupe if you plan to mod. Cheaper for sure than a Z.

Ron
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by RonSSNova
There is no significant difference between the LS1 and LS6 under the heads. You can add the 243 heads, cam of your choice, 2001+ intake manifold, headers, exhaust and cold air intake and do 425 at the wheels easily.

The differentials are the same for all the 6spd cars. The Z did get shotpeened gears, no big deal there. Diffs are easily strengthned with C6 parts.

I would think the best bang for the buck might be a 2000 Fixed Roof Coupe if you plan to mod. Cheaper for sure than a Z.

Ron
I have located a 1999 FRC with 33k miles for 17,500. Seems like a reasonable deal, I know someone in the area that can check it out for me.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RonSSNova

Ron
The z06's have the m12 transmission too, which I think makes a huge difference, when the transmission in my 99' FRC goes out I'm going to buy a used one from a z06.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
The z06's have the m12 transmission too, which I think makes a huge difference, when the transmission in my 99' FRC goes out I'm going to buy a used one from a z06.
Aren't those transmission parts unique to z06 and as a result harder and significantly more expensive to replace when you break something?
Old 07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
Aren't those transmission parts unique to z06 and as a result harder and significantly more expensive to replace when you break something?
They are unique to the GTO, z06, CTS-V, etc. I think a rebuild might be $100 more than a normal t56 going through one shop I was looking at, but it's not that big of a difference. Go out and drive a normal c5, then a z06 and you'll notice right away how much more aggressive the gearing in the z06 transmission is. They have a nice little power bump too
Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
They are unique to the GTO, z06, CTS-V, etc. I think a rebuild might be $100 more than a normal t56 going through one shop I was looking at, but it's not that big of a difference. Go out and drive a normal c5, then a z06 and you'll notice right away how much more aggressive the gearing in the z06 transmission is. They have a nice little power bump too
Yeah, I plan to do some driving pretty soon. I had read a couple places that replacement gears were ridiculously expensive on the Z06, seems like that was wrong that's good news.

At this point I'm hoping to score a decent deal as we near end of summer/fall as folks just wanted to get "one more summer" out of their toy. We'll see
Old 07-16-2013, 12:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Differences....

LS6 Block is a totally different casting, It is a Stronger block with better cooling ports.
Has better 243 heads over 241's which are good for 25-30hp.
larger factory cam
larger MAF
Better Intake "Unless its a 2002-2004 base C5 Which also got the LS6 Intake"

As far as the car differences are...............
The Z06 is lighter then the Base coupe by 150lbs or so.
Has a more aggressive trans "M12" with steeper gearing " Same as CTS-V & 04-06 GTO, Viper". Coupe Is MN6
Stronger differential "3rib vs. 1rib" with a steeper gear "3.42 vs 3.15 or 2.73" C5Z is even stronger the a Base C6 Diff, Some guys have even swapped/converted C5Z diffs into C6's
Better suspension, Shocks, Swaybars ect.
And you get the unique FRC body style which is highly desirable.

Figure a stock C5Z puts down around 355-365whp, My 01Z put down 367/364 with a CAI "Otherwise stock, A base coupe puts down around 315whp. Longtubes, Intake, Tune should put you in the 340whp range and with a Cam you should be under 400whp unless you do some heads, A Longtube, Intake, Tune C5Z will put down around 385-390ish Sometimes more. My cam, Full exhaust Z makes 440/408, The LS6 responds to mods very well... The motors are very similar but the other difference such as diff, trans make it a total different animal, A stock C5Z will have no problems walking on a Bolton C5 and I have seen Cammed Coupes having problems keeping up with minor Bolton C5Z's... It all depends on what you want to do with the car, But over all the Z06 is more track ready which it is built for.

Last edited by breze84; 07-18-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by breze84
Differences....

LS6 Block is a totally different casting, It is a Stronger block with better cooling ports.
Has better 243 heads over 241's which are good for 25-30hp.
larger factory cam
larger MAF
Better Intake "Unless its a 2002-2004 base C5 Which also got the LS6 Intake"

As far as the car differences are...............
The Z06 is lighter then the Base coupe by 150lbs or so.
Has a more aggressive trans "M12" with steeper gearing " Same as CTS-V & 04-06 GTO, Viper". Coupe Is MN6
Stronger differential "3rib vs. 1rib" with a steeper gear "3.42 vs 3.15 or 2.73" C5Z is even stronger the a Base C6 Diff, Some guys have even swapped/converted C5Z diffs into C6's
Better suspension, Shocks, Swaybars ect.
And you get the unique FRC body style which is highly desirable.

Figure a stock C5Z puts down around 355-365whp, My 01Z put down 367/364 with a CAI "Otherwise stock, A base coupe puts down around 315whp. Longtubes, Intake, Tune should put you in the 340whp range and with a Cam you should be under 400whp unless you do some heads, A Longtube, Intake, Tune C5Z will put down around 385-390ish Sometimes more. My cam, Full exhaust Z makes 440/408, The LS6 responds to mods very well... The motors are very similar but the other difference such as diff, trans make it a total different animal, A stock C5Z will have no problems walking on a Bolton C5Z and I have seen Cammed Coupes having problems keeping up with minor Bolton C5Z's... It all depends on what you want to do with the car, But over all the Z06 is more track ready which it is built for.
Great info, thank you
Old 11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Sorry to bump an old thread but are there any right ups for installing the z06 suspension parts onto a base c5? I have a pretty good deal on a used set locally.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 PM
Launching!

Wrong thread

Quick Reply: LS1 platform vs LS6 platform, bolt ons, cams, etc???