Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idle Issues - Tune and scan inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Idle Issues - Tune and scan inside

First off the motor is a 403 LQ9 with AFR heads, F1A Procharger, 9.5 - 9.6 comp operating on a 2 Bar OS - soon to be 3 Bar with a 2.5 Map sensor if I can get pass this hurdle.

I've been trying to workout my high idle/lean condition and can not get a handle on whats going on. I've tried increasing the idle table slightly but then it goes rich and still runs high until it hits 190*. Then the idle will abruptly go down about 100rpm but still over the targeted 865 set point in the Base Idle table. Also, I've been working on the Base Idle Airflow and the numbers that come from the "Russ K Idle Airflow config" increases the idle speed. I also played with the "Afterstart Enrichment Table" which seemed to help after 190*. As I look at that table the values entered seems to be on the high (rich) side when multiplied by the OLFA vs Cooling Temp vs MAP table.

SOOOOOOOO, I decided to visit the Idle Proportional Tables and under "Airflow High P/N" its zeroed out. The same goes for the Intergral P/N table. I don't want to start messing with these numbers cause I don't know which way to go. I've already adjusted the VE table and it seems to be headed in the right direction. There's a lot more **** I've done and put back because it made the problem worse. I want to point this out one more time, after 190* it idles a little lower and smoother. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE check it out and help me out.

Working Tune T4.hpl

Working Tune Idle Tuning.hpt

In the attached files the PCM is in OL.

Last edited by Monte4ever; 07-11-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Here's the Idle Airflow Config that shows the slight drop in RPMs at 190*

Idle Airflow T1.hpl
Old 07-11-2013, 09:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Start by returning all the adaptive idle tables back to stock, as your STIT is fixed at 3.96 g/sec then drops to 0 at frame 3971.

Russ Kemp
Old 07-12-2013, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanx for chiming in Russ k. The idle Airflow scan suppose to have all the adaptive idle parameters cleared for logging. I don't know how its reading anything unless I overlooked something.......which its obvious I am lol.

Last edited by Monte4ever; 07-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Russ K or anyone that would know. Do you zero out the "Base Idle Airflow Table" when logging for Base Idle Airflow?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Russ K or anyone that would know. Do you zero out the "Base Idle Airflow Table" when logging for Base Idle Airflow?
No

Russ Kemp
Old 07-29-2013, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I'm back with this and can't seem to get past this issue. The car idles very good = WHEN AT OPERATING TEMPS - but getting to that point is a headache. I've tried adjusting afterstart enrichment, Idle Airflow, Idle Speed, opening the TB, checking IaC counts etc........I've been all over the place with this and can't get this damn thing to start up and idle up to operating temps without it wanting to die out. Like said above once hot it idle oh so good. The above log in post one shows when it does whatever its doing. Here is the current tune. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE help a noob out.

Working Tune VE 4 PRIMARY TUNE.hpt
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Is your VE table spot on? If so you should be able to log airflow vs. coolant temp and then update the desired idle airflow table according to what your car wants. I know my idle got MUCH better when I did this.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I took the car out for a test drive and when I got back I heard a hissing sound. So I opened the hood then restarted it and turned it right off. Turns out that my 90 day old brake booster has spung a leak. Just to make sure that that was the problem I hooked a vacuum pump to it and sure nuff I could here air excaping and it would not hold vacuum. I believe its been bad for a while because of the different AFR reading I would get from one day to the next. Oh well, I got one on the way soooo I'll see what happens when I install it and redo my VE table. The fun never stops.

Quick Reply: Idle Issues - Tune and scan inside