Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about future plans

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Questions about future plans

Hello all, I'm looking to get a Trans Am WS6, T-Tops, M6 with 6k miles here in the next couple of months. It is completely stock and I am looking to build it into a fast cruiser/show car.

Here are the mods that I have planned for the car:

American Racing Headers 1 7/8"
Kooks True Dual Axle Back
FAST 102 Intake and TB
FAST Fuel Rails
102 MAF
Volant Intake

I'm not really looking to cheap out on the car as, like I said, I would like to make it into a show car and it will probably stay low on the miles, while still getting driven a good amount.

I would also like to go fairly 'big' to leave room for heads and cam in the future.

Do you guys see anywhere for improvement to make power or possible suggestions on places to get these at the best prices?

All input is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

nice find, that's a brand new car!

I think you're on the right track with your exhaust plans, that's an expensive setup, but those will give you the best gains...
Intake-wise, a bigger lid or volant setup is good, but if the car is 2001-2002, you'll already have the LS6 intake mani, so might not be worth messing with unitl you go H/C...if you're set on changing the intake, I wouldn't go any bigger than a FAST 92/92 setup, it will support virtually any H/C setup and the 102mm probably isn't worth much over that with 346ci...

you'll also wanna get some subframe connectors to reduce chassis flex and lower control arms to help the car hook up

good luck with the build!
Old 07-18-2013, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by manzo81maro
nice find, that's a brand new car!

I think you're on the right track with your exhaust plans, that's an expensive setup, but those will give you the best gains...
Intake-wise, a bigger lid or volant setup is good, but if the car is 2001-2002, you'll already have the LS6 intake mani, so might not be worth messing with unitl you go H/C...if you're set on changing the intake, I wouldn't go any bigger than a FAST 92/92 setup, it will support virtually any H/C setup and the 102mm probably isn't worth much over that with 346ci...

you'll also wanna get some subframe connectors to reduce chassis flex and lower control arms to help the car hook up

good luck with the build!
My thoughts exactly! and it's a friends car, so I know how it's been treated for those few miles and many years

Expensive on the exhaust isn't a huge deal because I know it'll speak for itself when done, or at least that's the plan haha

Are there any cons with going 102 over 92? I hear that the 102 makes slightly more power in the end.

Also, either way, if I went 92 or 102, what would I need to support those as far as MAF and intake go?

Subframe connectors are on the list! just forgot to add them haha, sounds like those are pretty essential. I'll probably do the rest of the suspension as time goes on also.

Thanks for the input, can't wait to get the car and get to building!
Old 07-18-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Well you have a awesome intake, so some good heads and a healthy cam would be on my list for sure
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to get the Kooks headers if you plan on running their true dual exhaust. I don't think the ARH will be a direct fit for them but I may be wrong.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by red04montels
Are there any cons with going 102 over 92? I hear that the 102 makes slightly more power in the end.

Also, either way, if I went 92 or 102, what would I need to support those as far as MAF and intake go?
I think with just H/C planned in the future the 92 will be fine for you...the 102 might make a little more peak power than the 92, but you'll probably lose power down low, which is no good for a street car

If you go with either intake, I would just go with matching size throttle body, 100mm MAF and lid...

Again these parts will really start to shine when you go H/C or bigger ci

You'll also need a tune to make all that work

Last edited by manzo81maro; 07-18-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Well you have a awesome intake, so some good heads and a healthy cam would be on my list for sure
That's a little down the ways I think haha wouldn't mind this being an easy cruiser that'll throw down 450whp in the end

Originally Posted by alexus6798
You might want to get the Kooks headers if you plan on running their true dual exhaust. I don't think the ARH will be a direct fit for them but I may be wrong.
I thought just about all systems were designed to connect to the stock y-pipe and all true duals to the stock exhaust manifolds?

I could be wrong though..?

I think with just H/C planned in the future the 92 will be fine for you...the 102 might make a little more peak power than the 92, but you'll probably lose power down low, which is no good for a street car

If you go with either intake, I would just go with matching size throttle body, 100mm MAF and lid...

Again these parts will really start to shine when you go H/C or bigger ci

You'll also need a tune to make all that work
Okay, so 92 is a go haha so then 92mm TB..

100mm MAF regardless?

Also, what are the different intakes at that size? Not sure what Volant is to be honest.

I definitely plan on going with a dyno tune throughout also to see how she evolves
Old 07-18-2013, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

I think you could get away with an 85mm MAF but that may be a slight restriction when bolted to a 92/92 combo...not sure what size the mouth of the volant setup is, maybe someone who has one will chime in
Old 07-18-2013, 08:42 PM
Launching!

I think you could get away with an 85mm MAF but that may be a slight restriction when bolted to a 92/92 combo...not sure what size the mouth of the volant setup is, maybe someone who has one will chime in
Ahh no point in going 85mm then haha

I guess I could do some of my own research on that Volant

I basically just made this thread because I want to know where to start when I get the car and I want to be able to hop on deals if they come across
Old 07-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Launching!

Okay, not much success with the search lol

Looks like the stock MAF connects directly to the Y-pipe that connects to the filters... hmm

Not sure what to think about that.

Any ideas on what else that would work with the 100mm MAF?
Old 07-18-2013, 09:13 PM
10 Second Club

you can get aftermarket lids with 100mm mouths
Old 07-18-2013, 10:26 PM
Launching!

you can get aftermarket lids with 100mm mouths
okay, i'll have to look into those more.

After looking into the Kooks exhaust and headers it's looking like they claim that their dual exhaust only works with their headers...

I thought I read about some trouble installing Kooks headers before, anyone heard of that or how much less power they make compared to the ARH?
Old 07-19-2013, 01:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by red04montels
okay, i'll have to look into those more.

After looking into the Kooks exhaust and headers it's looking like they claim that their dual exhaust only works with their headers...

I thought I read about some trouble installing Kooks headers before, anyone heard of that or how much less power they make compared to the ARH?
Every car seems to have a unique fit issue depending on primary size, K-member, installer, etc in BOTH set-ups. You're not going to see power differences between them either because no one here has put them in a back-to-back test. Both are great header systems.....if you're going to go with the Kooks duals, eliminate any fit variables/headaches and go with Kooks headers.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LPE 403
Every car seems to have a unique fit issue depending on primary size, K-member, installer, etc in BOTH set-ups. You're not going to see power differences between them either because no one here has put them in a back-to-back test. Both are great header systems.....if you're going to go with the Kooks duals, eliminate any fit variables/headaches and go with Kooks headers.
Perfect, that's the exact answer I was looking for... just hoping not to see any installation issues that others have seen, but I have a feeling we should be alright there.

I'm super excited for this exhaust system... looks like it's going to run me $3k or more

Oh well.. gotta pay to play and if I'm gonna keep it nice I guess that's what I'll have to do.

Does anyone know any other sites that may be cheaper for a Kooks headers and full exhaust setup, no cats and dual tips on each side?

Also, I've watched on youtube, but are there any real differences in catted vs non-catted setups on these cars as far as rasp or drone goes?

Kind of hard to tell on youtube sometimes.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:25 PM
10 Second Club

you probably won't see any power difference between the two brands...my ARH setup installed like butter, can't speak for kooks...might be best to get the full kooks system since you know eveything should bolt right up
as far as cats: if you don't need to stay emissions legal, don't mind rasp, or extra exhaust odour, then forget the cats...the cats will cut down the rasp & smell, keep you emissions legal, but might rob a couple HP
Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Launching!

you probably won't see any power difference between the two brands...my ARH setup installed like butter, can't speak for kooks...might be best to get the full kooks system since you know eveything should bolt right up
as far as cats: if you don't need to stay emissions legal, don't mind rasp, or extra exhaust odour, then forget the cats...the cats will cut down the rasp & smell, keep you emissions legal, but might rob a couple HP
Forgot I didn't reply to this haha

I'll probably just go straight Kooks for headers and exhaust to make it simple and unless I'm near 500whp I don't think the power differences will be noticeable compared to ARH.

I want this to be my fast/cruiser/show car.. I'll get something else for a huge build, procharger or turbo build.

I'm kind of having a hard time on the Cats though, wondering how bad the rasp will be..

I guess it would probably be cleaner to add cats in the future than remove them.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-23-2013, 06:25 AM
FormerVendor

When youre ready, send me a PM, I have the Kooks Headers and True Dual Exhausts in stock, and will put together a great price for you!

Thanks, Mike

Quick Reply: Questions about future plans