Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New to the LS community!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the LS community!

Hey fella's, just wanted to hop on here and see how much i can learn about my new car. I just bought a 2004 Cadillac CTS-V, silver with the black leather/suede interior.

I've owned mustangs since i was 16, but with my third kiddo on the way i decided it was time to get a sporty car with a full back seat. Hopefully i can fit 3 little ones in the back seat. (not all the time, i've also got a lifted 01 explorer sport trac that is my DD).

On to the car, its got Long tube headers, high flow cats, and corsa exhaust. its got a Hochkis rear sway bar, as well as rear bushings i guess. Car has 67,000 miles on it, and i paid 18,500 for it. Oh, and its got the red corvette FRC's on it.

Its got some little black box in the front lower grill that i cant figure out. It almost looks like a radar detector maybe. Will explorer it some more in the day light.

Current plans are to black out the grills, consider blacking out the rims. I want to cam it rather soon, (hence the name). It looks to me as though the headlights are aftermarket. Crappy thing is, the passenger headlight is cracked. But the dealership told me they are going to replace it free of charge.

Enough with the chitter chatter, here are some pictures of the car.

I'll break out the T2I this weekend and get some good HD pics of her.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Congrats...good looking silver V there.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Thank you thank you!! Anything i should pay particular attention towards in my first few days driving it?
Old 07-25-2013, 11:41 PM
On The Tree

If it has the original differential, then I would definitely not be launching it above 3k...wheel hop on V1's is bad, and 04-05 difs have potential to grenade when launched hard.

Other than that, drive that **** like you stole it!!!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Check the diff part # stat. Post and we can tell you what it has.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it just me or does the pass headlight look weird in the first pic?

Either way, congrats on the V. Don't dump the clutch on it and you'll be ok.
Get the diff part # next to the getrag 3.73 numbers and post up.
No hard 1-2 shifting, esp with tc on. I know thats been responsible for loss of differential also. lol
Old 07-26-2013, 05:00 AM
TECH Resident

Congrats on the car, some clear fogs and blinkers up front make a world of difference appearance wise. If you ever need bushings or mounts all can be had through creative steel or revshift. I suggest shifter bushings.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 AM
Teching In

odthetruth, the passenger headlight is cracked. They're replacing it today for me before they deliver the car.

I'll be sure to crawl under there again and get the part number on the rear end.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to the club!
Old 07-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Well, i put ~100 miles on the car tonight. Got pulled over because apparently my passenger headlight isnt only condensation in it, but the low beams dont work at all

No biggy, the dealership ordered one this morning and will be installing it next week, i just didnt want to leave the car there for a week while waiting for it.

In this pic you can see that the car has some little black deal in the lower grill, looks like a radar detector thing??

I also found where the previous owner had his boost gauge mounted. Then in the glove box i found a bunch of papers from previous maintenance.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Well, today im pissed. lol.

I've had the car 2 full days, put between 100-150 miles on the car (not hard miles, but spirited miles). And today the CEL came on.

If im not mistaken, unhooking the battery and hooking it back up will cause the CEL to shut off for 100-150 miles then it will come back on.

Im so torn now, i know the motors been replaced in the car once already. I dont know whats wrong with it this time (going to find out with in the next day or two as soon as i can get away from work.)

But if after two days its already throwing codes, whats next?!

kind of tempted to just return the damn thing and keep searching for another deal to come along...
Old 07-28-2013, 04:00 PM
JDB
Launching!

Get the dealer to pull the code(s). 30-day/3k warrant at least?
Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Pull the code, it's probably something silly, but that begs the question--what kind of shakedown did you give it before you bought it?

Thankfully the LS series is pretty damned forgiving of shenanigans and is a cheap date away from making happy again, so best of luck.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Having an aftermarket exhaust, the rear o2 sensors might not be there. The cel may be the o2 sensor code. Definitely get the dealership to pull the code. The headlights look factory. The previous owner painted the gray outline of the factory light black, which you will have to do to the new light if you want them to match. Otherwise, the car looks good. Congrats on the purchase.

Scratch that. On second glance the headlights don't look painted. The condensation in the first pic threw me.

Last edited by D Block; 07-28-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Not paying attention!
Old 07-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Teching In

well, got bored this afternoon, so i drove to the nearest autozone (30 minutes away). Turns out it was just the cats, so no big deal. Other then that the car hasnt had any hiccups of any sorts.

Car does have less bottom end torque then i would have imagined. It screams from 3-6000, but anything below it just feels like a turd. My mustangs were always torquey from around 2-5000.

But over all, this car def has a different type of horse power then any car i've built. this things power is so smooth and refined. and i love the feeling of pulling .6-.7 g going around the turns.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Camdcad
But if after two days its already throwing codes, whats next?!

kind of tempted to just return the damn thing and keep searching for another deal to come along...
Originally Posted by DarkCharisma
Pull the code, it's probably something silly, but that begs the question--what kind of shakedown did you give it before you bought it?
This.

Originally Posted by Camdcad
well, got bored this afternoon, so i drove to the nearest autozone (30 minutes away). Turns out it was just the cats, so no big deal. Other then that the car hasnt had any hiccups of any sorts.

Car does have less bottom end torque then i would have imagined. It screams from 3-6000, but anything below it just feels like a turd. My mustangs were always torquey from around 2-5000.

But over all, this car def has a different type of horse power then any car i've built. this things power is so smooth and refined. and i love the feeling of pulling .6-.7 g going around the turns.
You sure you're in the right gear for whatever speed? Putting your foot down at 30mph in 5th isn't going to feel the same as 1st or 2nd. LOL

Either way, I hear ya. Get everything sorted with her. I'm at 136k and climbing... the cars been reliable as hell to me. Its my DD
Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

obviously down shifting puts me into the power band, i just noticed the power band on these cars is quite a bit higher then any other car i've had. A guy that knows the car made a comment that it might have been cammed. he said when it was blown it was cammed as well. i know they replaced the motor, i dont know if they put the cam and such into this one or not.

I know my buddy said something about how its got good heads. He noticed a marking on the head that said something like "243" in the casting or something. i dont remember lol... there have been a ton of facts thrown at me this weekend about these motors/cars.

whole different world from the mustang scene im used to lol
Old 07-28-2013, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you need a Maggie...
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 AM
Teching In

Darn this whole have to have so many post to look in the classifieds! hahaha I cant see your maggie for sale ad.

Quick Reply: New to the LS community!