LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C problem

So getting my other problems dealt with im fighting another with the A/C that has been acting a pain for the past several days. AC is blowing out hot air some days & colder air other days. On those “Colder days” it still doesnt blow as cold as it use to prior to the issue. Checked the compressor and it turns on fine. Was trying to find a leak and sometimes(not always) hear a leak near the Evap. One guy looked at it and told me that there was air in the system - that I needed to replace either the Accumulator or Evap Drier. He may be right, but if either of which are going bad wouldnt it be blowing hot air all the time? Had the Freon checked and there is the adequate amount. I had a few ideas of my own about the issue:

-A/C heater blend door getting stuck (tried turning on & off heater a number of times)
-A fuse
-Obviously a leak
-Computer problem
-System Recharged
-Orifice tube

Any ideas that I might have or havent covered, maybe I already answered my own question?!
Old 08-02-2013, 08:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

It won't be the orifice tube. The system uses an expansion valve, instead. Often a professional evacuation and recharge can give it some more life. That got an extra two years out of mine before the compressor finally gave up.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Usually a leak is obvious since it is mixed with a florescent dye.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I should add that a several weeks ago, one morning on my way to work and found the whole carpet near the dash, my feet, near the peddles, passengers side was soaked with water. Water coming out of underneath the glove box, out of the feet vents, and near the floor side of the radio. At the time had no idea, but did some research on here and found out that it might of had something to do with the A/C. Sounds like a Leak but what exactly would leak to have water soaking from under the whole dash front of the car?
Old 08-04-2013, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds more like the heater core.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Has the system been open at any time recently?

Like was said above, the heater core is probably what left the water in the floorboard, although I've had the same thing happen when water filled the system in my 3.8 grand prix because the drain on the ac.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-question.html
Old 08-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Euphoria
I should add that a several weeks ago, one morning on my way to work and found the whole carpet near the dash, my feet, near the peddles, passengers side was soaked with water. Water coming out of underneath the glove box, out of the feet vents, and near the floor side of the radio. At the time had no idea, but did some research on here and found out that it might of had something to do with the A/C. Sounds like a Leak but what exactly would leak to have water soaking from under the whole dash front of the car?
If it's not antifreeze then it reads like the condensation tube is clogged. Shoebox has steps on how to unclog it on his website I believe. www.shbox.com
Old 08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike.
Has the system been open at any time recently?

Like was said above, the heater core is probably what left the water in the floorboard, although I've had the same thing happen when water filled the system in my 3.8 grand prix because the drain on the ac.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-question.html
Nope havent touched the heater core in about 1 year. That was the only time I had to replace a heater hose that was rubbing against the belt. Havent gone to shoebox but what exactly do I need to do, drain the system? Im still confused what to tamper with since the heater core is has a correlation with the engine cooling system.

This morning the a/c was blowing somewhat colder, but then heated back up by the time I got back home..

Quick Reply: A/C problem