Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of questions on LS mtrs, compatibility, harness etc

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of questions on LS mtrs, compatibility, harness etc

I have this 51 chevy pu 3/4 ton I plan on making a shop truck. I am going to ditch the 3/4 stuff, clip the front with monte carlo frame, rear will be 4x4 s10 rear end. At first I was going to put in a TBI actually have a 92 caprice but decided why put that in when these LS motors would be same swap and LS is much better than any tbi 305. I saw a beat up oil field 07 Z71 with a 350K on it getting a motor and thought wow if it was taken care it would go even longer. My first swap I'll keep stock other than headers, a few bolt ons.

Questions:
1. if using a 5.3, 4.8, or 6.0 do I use the standard after market LS1 wiring harness? If so do I need a f body computer? or LS truck?
2. when getting the 2003 later motor with electronic throttle should I get the pedal as well? Someone told me I can not take a 5.3 convert it to throttle cable and use the computer that came with the motor? Do you guys like the throttle or electronic.
3. I am seeing a lot of people sending off existing wiring harness or plugging off stuff they do not use and simply having the computer reflashed but just saw some hardships with a guy on here in his 69 camaro as well.

If those goes well in this truck I'll put one in a 55 bel air wagon I have to restore as well
Attached Thumbnails Lots of questions on LS mtrs, compatibility, harness etc-962.jpg  
Old 08-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Teching In

just found a good article from mean yellow z's post
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...de-1500-a.html
Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished an ls swap into a 68 c10 , I put an ly6 in it , thats an 6.0 liter truck engine , I got it from ebay as a pullout , with the wire harness , and computer , drive by wire pedal ,and air cleaner , mass air flow . This is the way to go , then once you figure your transmission and monting the engine and all the others little things , you need to get the wire harness reworked and the computer reflashed . This is the easiest way to go .

As far as your question regarding drive by wire throttle bodies , the only draw back to them is if you plan on running a 2004r or 700r4 transmition as the throttle position cable is dificult to rig with drive by wire as opposed to cable driven

If you do get a drive by wire throttle body get the pedal that came with the vehicle

Last edited by ijimmy; 08-08-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

Check out Bow Auto on Ebay....just go to ebay motors and search LQ4 or LQ9 ...go to their Ebay store, they usually have a good selection of "drop outs" in stock.... I ordered a LQ9 from them, shipped to South Carolina for only $175.00....and got it in 4 days!... Chris is great to work with.

A "drop out" is the way to go. You get the harness, ECM, Sensors, the whole 9 yards...
If you are inclined to do so, you can mod the harness yourself (LT1swap.com) ....The ECM will have to be sent out to have the VATS, and any unnecessary stuff removed...

There are a million sources and threads dealing with doing these "LS" swaps....read, read, read, .... it will make you feel like your head is going to explode....

Check out the "sticky's" above...great info on oil pans, brackets, etc....

Have fun, enjoy the project...
Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Teching In

I love my old cars and doing a few updates to make them more driveable and not in slow lane at 3500rpm. lol I had planned on doing this in the 55 wagon a few years from now but I got the itch now. thanks guys
Old 08-08-2013, 05:15 PM
Teching In

I was going after a short bed or considered changing the bed/frame on this one but the more I look at my friends lil blue pu frome 3/4 and I want it down like his a swap meet, parts hauler, LS motor
Attached Thumbnails Lots of questions on LS mtrs, compatibility, harness etc-image-10-copy.jpeg   Lots of questions on LS mtrs, compatibility, harness etc-image-10-.jpeg  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot , welcome to the board , here is a link for you as you show interest in old trucks , my user name on that board is 67 chevelle . There are quite a few ls conversions on there , its realy quite easy with old trucks compared to older muscle cars , more room

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:54 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with the above....If you get a LQ4 or LQ9 truck engine for your project, the oil pan may fit, the alternator bracket may fit, and the truck accessory drive may be ok....

When this swap is done on most cars the pan, brackets, accessory drives usually all have to be modified for clearance. In your truck you should have plenty of room....

I know you will enjoy the project and driving it when it is done.....
Old 08-09-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

What's the going rate for a truck like that in OK ?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Default truck

the cab is really clean. Most people turn their nose to a 3/4 ton. you throw away all that suspension anyway if you want a short bed get short bed sides reuse your fenders. I've decided to keep mine long bed. I will use the bed floor from a 06 bed.
I got this just under $500 outside of wichita from craigslist. It has no motor/trans they were using as a blind to hunt deer, under the hood 2x4's were down across the engine bay for them to sit on. I saved this truck from being cut up and made into a smoker. $500=1500 get you a good builder just be patient

another fine example on lwb below
Attached Thumbnails Lots of questions on LS mtrs, compatibility, harness etc-img_0071.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lots of questions on LS mtrs, compatibility, harness etc