Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP ORY vs Pacesetter ORY with FM merge

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default TSP ORY vs Pacesetter ORY with FM merge

Okay guys, i'm looking at finally replacing my SLP LM1 resonator with a Magnaflow 14419 muffler, and I want to add either a TSP ORY ( I guess it has a merge built in now) or add a Flowmaster merge to my Pacesetter ORY. Now here are my questions: Is the merge in the TSP ORY as good as the FM merge? It appears that the FM merge will have to be modified a bit to create the proper bend to accommodate my Pacesetter ORY correct? If so is this going to cost a lot for a shop to do? Also the FM is a 3" in/3.5" out, where as the TSP one is 3" all around, which is what I have now. I realize a flared transition pipe would be needed to mate the 3" and 3.5" together, and I found a company that makes such a piece. It's about 4" long though. Would this work? Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 04:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nobody?
Old 08-13-2013, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best bet is to go custom, no point in trying to cut up the pacesetter y to work. There are some good set ups in here to give ya an idea.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...m-y-pipes.html
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

What you're proposing is basically what I have. I had my buddy's shop hack my XS Y-pipe (same design as Pacesetter) and connect it to a 3/3.5" FM merge. I used a 3.5/3" step-down from Summit in the I-pipe.

It's not pretty, hangs too low, and the transitions to the merge are too sharp, but it works well. I picked up some time at the track compared to the 2.5/3" catted Y I had before.
Old 08-14-2013, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks guys! I know I can get the TSP ORY for like $130, so I wonder if it would cost much more to do a custom ORY...i'm gonna look into this.

RevGTO, it sounds like your setup was a pita (no offense of course lol) and that's what i'd like to avoid here.

The FM merge idea sounded good (cheap to do) but all the cutting, bending, etc...sounds like it could be a bit more labor intensive.

Any opinions on the TSP merge compared to the FM merge? Is there really any difference at all?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
RevGTO, it sounds like your setup was a pita (no offense of course lol) and that's what i'd like to avoid here. The FM merge idea sounded good (cheap to do) but all the cutting, bending, etc...sounds like it could be a bit more labor intensive.
Don't get the wrong impression. It may not be the most perfectly executed Y-pipe of all time, but it flows well and the job was not a huge PITA for an experienced exhaust guy. The 3/3.5" FM is just going to flow better than the TSP; not that it'll make for a huge difference.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Don't get the wrong impression. It may not be the most perfectly executed Y-pipe of all time, but it flows well and the job was not a huge PITA for an experienced exhaust guy. The 3/3.5" FM is just going to flow better than the TSP; not that it'll make for a huge difference.
Funny you say this. I just talked to an exhaust shop yesterday (this is all the do) and they said for a $150 they will install the FM merge on my Pacesetter ORY (and make any necessary adjustments) and do the Magnaflow in place of my LM1...done deal lol! Parts are ordered, and will be on by next week Thanks for the info guys
Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pacesetter ORY have better clearance than TSP ORY but TSP ORY has a better merge. I personally have Pacesetter ory with Flowmaster merge 3" to 4" then 4" cutout back to 3".
Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ronny_02_WS6
Pacesetter ORY have better clearance than TSP ORY but TSP ORY has a better merge. I personally have Pacesetter ory with Flowmaster merge 3" to 4" then 4" cutout back to 3".
What Magnaflow muffler do you have? I just got my FM merge yesterday along with a Magnaflow 14419 muffler, and will have it on by Friday

Quick Reply: TSP ORY vs Pacesetter ORY with FM merge