Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat-back exhaust help

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cat-back exhaust help

I am looking for a cat-back exhaust for my 02 ss. My car has the tips that exit the middle of the bumper. I called Summit racing today asking about the SLP loud mouth and The person i spoke to said that no one makes a cat-back that works with those tips. Apparently this person call SLP and that's what SLP told the summit racing salesman. Is this true? I don't think it is.

I am looking for a cat-back that doesn't requires any cutting or welding. If you have bought a cat-back that works with these tips below please let me know what brand it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

thank you
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youre going to need something custom for those tips, and that will require cutting and welding. Option b, would be to just cut out the muffler and put something nice in its place.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You can get that catback to work or almost any other you would prefer with the tips, you just need to find a good exhaust shop because it will require some fabricating. If you don't want to do that you could get a cutout, or maybe just replace the muffler
Old 09-04-2013, 11:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IMO, you should be able to use the SLP LM cat-back , but any cat-back you use will require the tail pipes to be cut done shorter to mate up with the 90* pipes, you might even need to cut the 90* shorter on the passenger side with the way the passenger side LM tail pipe is bent.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Get an electric cutout if you want it louder. There is no way I would replace the dual/dual with something else...
Old 09-06-2013, 03:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JuSStin
I am looking for a cat-back exhaust for my 02 ss. My car has the tips that exit the middle of the bumper. I called Summit racing today asking about the SLP loud mouth and The person i spoke to said that no one makes a cat-back that works with those tips. Apparently this person call SLP and that's what SLP told the summit racing salesman. Is this true? I don't think it is.

I am looking for a cat-back that doesn't requires any cutting or welding. If you have bought a cat-back that works with these tips below please let me know what brand it is.

[IMG][/IMG]

thank you
I agree with the other members. You will need to go to a good exhaust shop!
Old 09-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Another option i have is to just replace the muffler. Dynomax makes the Ultra Flo Welded muffler, that i believe is a direct bolt in. Has anyone used this muffler or just changed out the muffler?

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...229&cc=1379976
Old 09-07-2013, 06:20 PM
11 Second Club

I would just get a cutout and leave the CME alone.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Teching In

My goal is to keep the CME. The CME was one of the things i liked about the car. The dynomax muffler should be a direct replacement for the stock muffler, so all the other pipes including the CME would be unchanged.

I was hoping to find someone who has used this muffler as a direct replacement before i buy to see if its was a easy as changing out the muffler and to see if its any louder.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

The cme muffler, which is the same as the dual/dual muffler is one of the best you can get for our cars. If you just want louder, do like I did and get yourself an electric cutout. Do a search if you are unsure of what I am referring to.

You can try to swap to a different muffler, but it might not flow as well, and, not likely, but possible, ruin the alignment of the tips and and tailpipes.

As you probably know a factory intalled cme is somewhat rare. I wouldn't mess with it.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JuSStin
My goal is to keep the CME. The CME was one of the things i liked about the car. The dynomax muffler should be a direct replacement for the stock muffler, so all the other pipes including the CME would be unchanged.

I was hoping to find someone who has used this muffler as a direct replacement before i buy to see if its was a easy as changing out the muffler and to see if its any louder.
The UF welded Dynomax muffler is on par with the Magnaflow(flows good and quiet). I'd measure the case length and outlet diameter (probably 2.5"), then let use know , so we can possibly find what muffler will work best.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 PM
12 Second Club

like already said, save the rare sweet factory cme, go with single or dual cutouts = perfect. nice cruising and a blast at wot.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:17 PM
On The Tree

I also have the cme and was thinking about installing the SLP loudmouth but keeping my tips. This I would want to be a clamp on. No welding. But after looking at the cme muffler there is no way to keep the cme tips without cutting. So I am going to buy another "I" pipe (the pipe after the y-pipe) and splice in a electric cut out. Keeping the orignal pipe for me is important that way I can return it to stock when I want.

Quick Reply: Cat-back exhaust help