Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Exhaust for Lowered F-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Exhaust for Lowered F-body

2002 T/A. Eibach/koni setup. MWC 9". car will be a big cube motor. Really want to run kooks true duals, but Im concerned about ground clearance. Ive searched extensively but cant find anything concrete. Looking for suggestions/advice
Old 09-16-2013, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Ground clearance is going to be impossible unless you run oval pipes and beat in the underbody. If your motor is setup for no backpressure you can dump from headers or run independent true duals along sides of DS or H-pipe where it fits.

My problem is similar to yours. Clearance issues are where piping runs under chassis braces, trans member, tq arm brace, fuel lines, and floorpan low spots. As it sits my muffler is 1" off the ground right in front of back tires and I can't even pull in/out of a gas station (not driving until this is fixed).
Old 09-16-2013, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best would be the stock exhaust, obviously not a choice for you.

Best would be to beat up the floor pans and tuck the exhaust up. Sounds like you will need at least a single 4 or dual 3 inch exhaust with your setup. Probably not something from the market right now.

I love my kooks true dual, but am worried to lower in the rear more than stock.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I run Kooks TD's and am lowered 1.25" with no problems, I have one scrape by the axle since that's where Kooks sits the lowest but it's a light scrape...don't even know where or how I did it. I didn't measure but the x-pipe on my Kooks sits about the same or higher than the y-pipe on my old GMMG. Guessing this won't be a DD, and as long as you don't lower it more than that I think you'll be fine.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
I run Kooks TD's and am lowered 1.25" with no problems, I have one scrape by the axle since that's where Kooks sits the lowest but it's a light scrape...don't even know where or how I did it. I didn't measure but the x-pipe on my Kooks sits about the same or higher than the y-pipe on my old GMMG. Guessing this won't be a DD, and as long as you don't lower it more than that I think you'll be fine.
What's your torque arm setup? Any tunnel braces?

My biggest obstacle is the short torque arm brace. If it braced above the DS instead of 2" below it I would likely have all the room needed for x-pipe and 3" duals.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lowered on Eibachs, Kooks TDs, MWC long TA....no issues. The biggest issue I had was snaking it over the MWC9".
Old 09-16-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Run Ball n Socket flanges off the headers so you can tuck the pipes after the headers up further, and also use a piece of 3" OD thick-walled metal pipe to jack up into the body to help create more exhaust pipe
clearance to allow tucking the pipes up even further.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
What's your torque arm setup? Any tunnel braces?

My biggest obstacle is the short torque arm brace. If it braced above the DS instead of 2" below it I would likely have all the room needed for x-pipe and 3" duals.

Right now all stock with the BMR tunnel brace. I would do the MWC tunnel brace though, it goes over the DS and it's the same price. MWC recommends their short arm but everyone I've talked to with the long arm (what I want) says it will clear.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrntWS6
Right now all stock with the BMR tunnel brace. I would do the MWC tunnel brace though, it goes over the DS and it's the same price. MWC recommends their short arm but everyone I've talked to with the long arm (what I want) says it will clear.
MWC offers a "tucked up" crossmember for true duals (TSP and Kooks style IIRC). Honestly just emailed them for more information because my UMI is tunnel mounted separate from the trans crossmember and everything scrapes.

Do you have a link for the brace that goes over the DS? Sounds like what I'm looking for.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 PM
Launching!

I've been in contact with MWC and I can't get over how terrific they are to deal with. I tell them my plans and the changes and it's always "no problem". Gonna give the kooks true duals a shot I think. Which tq arm is the better choice? Long or short?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

My car was lowered on Strano springs and I ran QTP headers to a SLP Powerflo exhaust. It was fine and only had issues on real steep inclines.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
MWC offers a "tucked up" crossmember for true duals (TSP and Kooks style IIRC). Honestly just emailed them for more information because my UMI is tunnel mounted separate from the trans crossmember and everything scrapes.

Do you have a link for the brace that goes over the DS? Sounds like what I'm looking for.
MWC has pics of it on their website.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Ordered kooks true duals. Can't wait to see how it fits
Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cav101
Ordered kooks true duals. Can't wait to see how it fits
You won't be disappointed with Kooks true duals, they are awesome. I'm on Strano springs and I've scraped a few times right before the axle where BrntWS6 was talking about but never by the collectors. Kooks headers tuck up tight against the body very well.

My lowest point is right before the pipes go over the axle, I measured around 3". If you've got a paved driveway and drive on decent roads you wont have a problem.

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for Lowered F-body