Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

s10 carb 5.3 wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s10 carb 5.3 wiring

What are carbd ls swapped people doin to clean up there wiring, a new harness is not an option, I just want a simple, clean easy way to get rid of the wiring mess.
91 s10 th350 trans, street legal truck
Thanks

Ethan
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

if your going carb,, what ever box you get comes with wiring harness...
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by windmill
if your going carb,, what ever box you get comes with wiring harness...
I know that, im talkin about the OE main harness that used to run from the computer, are people just cuttin it or what?
Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Staging Lane

I'm doing same swap but in my mustang u order a victor jr or witch ever intake u want and box u want there's a edelbrock ignition control box it the msd 6010 box u just plug and play crank sensor and coils that's basically it and the map sensor I'm not 100% sure but that's basically it if not there's a post on here about carb ls swap basically breaks everything down
Old 10-06-2013, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Lol I know this, I have a vic jr and a 6ls 6010, im wondering what people are doing to the main harness to clean the engine bay, im talkin about where the harness goes in to the fire walk by the brake booster
Old 10-06-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just cut mine. I'm going to remove it completely but i haven't yet.
Old 10-06-2013, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

How do you remove it completely? And what wires did you save?
Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

Lol oh u mean the harnest for the truck I thought u ment motor lol but anyways post a link of ur build my little brother wants to do same build as u
Old 10-06-2013, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

I dont have a build thread but I need 1 lol its nothin special, havent had ne real problems yet, hardest thing was knotching the k member
Old 10-06-2013, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Plus im not good at decribing **** I detail and I dont have many pics, but if any info is needed I cud help, all I really got left to do is the driveline and some odds and ends
Old 10-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Ok what did u do for fuel lines etc I'm having trouble understanding it with my mustang I usto run a mechanical pump on a sbc but need to know what I need for the lsx carb
Old 10-06-2013, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

Im gonna run a jegs intank pump it shud flown about 90pgh for me, and itll ran with braided line with an to barb fittings rite at the pump,.

If you wanna do an in line just cut ur line and get some npt to barb fittings and use 2short pieces of hose, its really more simple then people think, they get scared of little stuff when they shudnt be
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally I keep all the gauges in the dash working when I do one. If its got a tach I have calibrated that to work also; Don't cut anything you don't have to. When pulling the engine, save all the senders and reuse them. Pretty much plug and play. You'll definitely need the purple starter wire. The white wire would be the tachometer if its got one. The thick red wire is going to be the positive you use for the MSD. Reuse the alternator wires obviously.

Throw away the ecm as it won't do shiat anymore and isn't needed. Keep the white box that's attached to the ECM as it is what calibrates the speedometer (its called a DRAC).

Leave the fuel pump alone and run a Holley regulator run the main line to the bottom one outlet to the carb with a fuel pressure gauge attached to it and the other side get a 3/8 NPT to 1/4" adapter epoxy it shut (obviously with gas resistant epoxy). Then drill a minute hole through it to allow enough gas to return to cool the pump but not so much as to hinder the fuel pressure. Run your fuel tank return hose to that.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

i actually kept the stock PCM on my carb s10 swap. not the way that most would do it, but it works for me. keeps my starter working like stock, and a good 5v reference to make my alternator work.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

His is a 1991 it has a ECM. None of his gauges or starter stuff goes through his computer.

On 1998 up there is no way to work the gauges unless you keep the PCM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My build was a little different as I completely removed the dash and heater assembly (not on purpose) and built my own interior panels and dash out of a sheet of aluminum. I removed all the wiring from the truck other than the wires for the lights and the fuse box and re did the wire using only what I knew I needed with switches I put in my self. I'm running mechanical gauges for both the oil and water and electronic gauges for the speedometer (speedhut GPS model) aem analog style wideband afr gauge and a auto gauge tachometer. My fan is turned on by a temp probe in the radiator and a relay, from oriellys. The main power wires are ran thru the frame from the battery to the rear bumper switch then to the ignition. I'm required to run a switch to pass tech at the track because my battery is in the box since my headers required me to remove the inner fenders. The alternator is converted by me to run a older style external voltage regulator because a resister or a light bulb was too much for me to figure out I guess and I was tired of burning up alternators trying to make it work. The fuel pump is on a new wire I have ran to the pump which is mounted to a frame brace I welded in in front of a 36 gallon dirt track steel fuel cell. The fuel lines are from a online store and they are new 8an (maybe 10an) lines and I ran them thru the frame (with a fuel filter after the pump) to a regulator on the top right side of the radiator core support then to the engine. It's a return less system and even with my big 160 gph pump it gives me zero issues. I was using the factory ignition to power the truck but found issues with the fuel pump turning off when I was cranking the engine. That was my fault in wiring wrong and not the trucks fault. And then I lost the ignition keys over storage in the winter time (I found them later tho), so I ran wires from the bumper mounted switch to a universal ignition switch and ran my own new wire to the starter.

That is really how mine was done but not everyone has the option of gutting the interior and engine bay and starting fresh. I had a heater core leak with the Sbc I ran in this before so when I tried to pull the heater core the dash broke right in half. From then on I knew it was getting gutted. I can't post pics from my phone to the site and my computer took a crap a few months ago so just take my information for what it's worth I guess. I wasn't sure if you were talking about copying my build or the other guys but I hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:21 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The stunningman
Personally I keep all the gauges in the dash working when I do one. If its got a tach I have calibrated that to work also; Don't cut anything you don't have to. When pulling the engine, save all the senders and reuse them. Pretty much plug and play. You'll definitely need the purple starter wire. The white wire would be the tachometer if its got one. The thick red wire is going to be the positive you use for the MSD. Reuse the alternator wires obviously.

Throw away the ecm as it won't do shiat anymore and isn't needed. Keep the white box that's attached to the ECM as it is what calibrates the speedometer (its called a DRAC).

Leave the fuel pump alone and run a Holley regulator run the main line to the bottom one outlet to the carb with a fuel pressure gauge attached to it and the other side get a 3/8 NPT to 1/4" adapter epoxy it shut (obviously with gas resistant epoxy). Then drill a minute hole through it to allow enough gas to return to cool the pump but not so much as to hinder the fuel pressure. Run your fuel tank return hose to that.
Why would you do that, iv ran regulators with out that stuff done and never had a problem, not sayin it dont work just dnt see what ur goin for
Old 10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 89gmcs15
My build was a little different as I completely removed the dash and heater assembly (not on purpose) and built my own interior panels and dash out of a sheet of aluminum. I removed all the wiring from the truck other than the wires for the lights and the fuse box and re did the wire using only what I knew I needed with switches I put in my self. I'm running mechanical gauges for both the oil and water and electronic gauges for the speedometer (speedhut GPS model) aem analog style wideband afr gauge and a auto gauge tachometer. My fan is turned on by a temp probe in the radiator and a relay, from oriellys. The main power wires are ran thru the frame from they battery to the rear bumper switch then to the ignition. I'm required to run a switch to pass tech at the track because my battery is in the box since my headers required me to remove the inner fenders. The alternator is converted by me to run a older style external voltage regulator because a resister or a light bulb was too much for me to figure out I guess and I was tired of burning up alternators trying to make it work. The fuel pump is on a new wire I have ran to the pump which is mounted to a frame brace I welded in in front of a 36 gallon dirt track steel fuel cell. The fuel lines are from a online store and they are new 8an (maybe 10an) lines and I ran them thru the frame (with a fuel filter after the pump) to a regulator on the top right side of the radiator core support then to the engine. It's a return less system and even with my big 160 gph pump it gives me zero issues. I was using the factory ignition to power the truck but found issues with the fuel pump turning off when I was cranking the engine. That was my fault in wiring wrong and not the trucks fault. And then I lost the ignition keys over storage in the winter time (I found them later tho), so I ran wires from the bumper mounted switch to a universal ignition switch and ran my own new wire to the starter.

What did u do to keep the light and turn signals harness but get rid of everything else?
And I take it your running most stuff off a switch panel?
That is really how mine was done but not everyone has the option of gutting the interior and engine bay and starting fresh. I had a heater core leak with the Sbc I ran in this before so when I tried to pull the heater core the dash broke right in half. From then on I knew it was getting gutted. I can't post pics from my phone to the site and my computer took a crap a few months ago so just take my information for what it's worth I guess. I wasn't sure if you were talking about copying my build or the other guys but I hope this helps.
What did you do to keep your light and signals harness but got rid of everything else?
It sounds like you have a lot of stuff ran off switches?
And finally how hard was it to do the dash?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bears416
What did you do to keep your light and signals harness but got rid of everything else?
It sounds like you have a lot of stuff ran off switches?
And finally how hard was it to do the dash?
I just left the wiring that goes thru the firewall intact for the lights and they run to the fuse panel that I powered up with the switches. One key runs power to everything and everything turns on with the key at once except the lights and turn signals. I might change that tho to a switch panel that's sold on eBay so it's more clean and I could get rid of the factory fuse box a that has extra stuff on it I don't need. That way I can power only what I want when starting rather than everything pulling juice while I'm cranking. I don't have my wipers hooked up yet either. I kept the factory turn signal switch but the light switch was mounted on the dash that was removed. I just found a 3 way switch for high/off/low beam function. The only other switches are my line lock push button switch and my arm and spray switches for the nitrous (which sadly in 3 years I've never even filled the bottle) It was really easy to do all of the wiring honestly. The dash was easy for me since my dad has a full machine shop with a hand break and a foot shear for doing sheet metal. I want to redo the dash since I did it so fast and it's not tipping the gauges in a ideal angle tho. But my time is limited since winter is almost here and I park the truck outside. It all might change for next year tho, I'll be doing a roll bar and adding power with a large supercharger, fuel injection, and a forged 408 ish stroker build. I'm at about 460 whp n/a thru my stalled th400, I'm hoping for something in the 750 whp range with the next motor. Way plenty for a truck that weighs 3000# race ready now. Idk what the roll bar and supercharger and 8.8 rear end will add but I'm sure the hp will offset it enough.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Wud it be a bad Idea to tear out all my wiring then get a new turn signal set for the column and just wire everything else off a switch box?

Quick Reply: s10 carb 5.3 wiring