Residential A/C Question (DFW Area)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Residential A/C Question (DFW Area)

This is my first home that I have owned for 4 months. As such, my terminology may be a little off.

My house is 1 story. My air handler is in the attic. In my backyard where the roof starts there is a PVC pipe that exits vertically out of the house and drains water pretty much constantly. For those of you with homes that have a similar setup as mine, can you tell me where this water is coming from? Should it be draining constantly? Do I have an issue? I am guessing it is coming from the A/C but have not been able to confirm. I can only trace the PVC line in the attic coming from my air handler so far before it makes its way to a large field of insulation and becomes lost. I performed some measurements and from the measurements, the lines from the air handler and at the roof line dont match up where they would need to for them to be the same line, but I have no idea if the line turns in that large field of insulation.

I had an issue in the past with this house where one of the PVC drain lines cracked, dripped water in the attic, which made its way to a light fixture in the kitchen, leaked through the light fixture and dripped onto the kitchen floor. The water on the floor is how I found out. I repaired that, now it doesn't leak. I am sure the angles of the pipe after the repair area are not exactly the same but are similar. Could the new angles be causing an easier drain/flow path and explain why I am seeing constant drain from this PVC pipe that exits at the roof line?

I have a home warranty and was about the schedule the contractor but figured I would ask here first. I have a feeling what I am calling about is normal (read: waste of money).

Thanks. Let me know if additional info is required.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It could be the condensate lines from the interior A/C unit, but there is also a good chance that it could be the overflow drain from the water heater as well. I was in a similar situation where it was constantly dripping, and I chased it back to my water heater. The interior liner had eroded away, and was basically dripping constantly, enough to fill the pan an drain to the exterior. Since you have a home warranty, call the company, and have them come out and look at both items. My fix required an new water heater.

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HoustonSS
It could be the condensate lines from the interior A/C unit, but there is also a good chance that it could be the overflow drain from the water heater as well. I was in a similar situation where it was constantly dripping, and I chased it back to my water heater. The interior liner had eroded away, and was basically dripping constantly, enough to fill the pan an drain to the exterior. Since you have a home warranty, call the company, and have them come out and look at both items. My fix required an new water heater.

Good luck.
My water heater is in the attic as well. I will check that out. Thank you.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not an A/C guy.

Now that I have that out of the way, I have a neighbor who is an A/C guy and has worked on my house several times (twice for condensation draining issues). Typically there should be 2 drain lines. One that comes out close to the foundation (roughly below the line you are seeing if I understand your description correctly. If that line becomes clogged it will drain out of the secondary / backup line which is higher up and the one you are describing. Not every house may be built that way, but my neighbor tells me they are supposed to be. He has told me that some homes have the primary drain tied into the plumbing drains and you will not see them.

When it is hot and the A/C is running frequently you will see water draining at a pretty high rate. That is not necessarily abnormal. I live in Houston where it is humid and that is what he has always told me. This might be a bit different for dryer climates.

I would not be too concerned with how much is draining, but I would try to locate the primary drain (which should be lower) from the outside or from the attic and see if the line is clogged. You always want the secondary drain to be a backup. At this point it is your only drain. If it becomes clogged, that water will come in the house.

I am sure there are A/C guys on here who will be able to give you a little better info.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Good luck.
Excellent point. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
I am not an A/C guy.

Now that I have that out of the way, I have a neighbor who is an A/C guy and has worked on my house several times (twice for condensation draining issues). Typically there should be 2 drain lines. One that comes out close to the foundation (roughly below the line you are seeing if I understand your description correctly. If that line becomes clogged it will drain out of the secondary / backup line which is higher up and the one you are describing. Not every house may be built that way, but my neighbor tells me they are supposed to be. He has told me that some homes have the primary drain tied into the plumbing drains and you will not see them.

When it is hot and the A/C is running frequently you will see water draining at a pretty high rate. That is not necessarily abnormal. I live in Houston where it is humid and that is what he has always told me. This might be a bit different for dryer climates.

I would not be too concerned with how much is draining, but I would try to locate the primary drain (which should be lower) from the outside or from the attic and see if the line is clogged. You always want the secondary drain to be a backup. At this point it is your only drain. If it becomes clogged, that water will come in the house.

I am sure there are A/C guys on here who will be able to give you a little better info.
What I see in bold is what my father told me. I believe my house has the primary drain tied into the plumbing drain as I dont have anything below the drain that is dripping.

I'll make another pass around my home in an attempt to locate the primary (lower) drain. it seems to always be draining, and I keep my home at 78, which seems to me to be a lot of draining for that temperature.

Thank you.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Gingervitis Addict

X2, check water heater, as well as the primary a/c drain (mine that ties into my house sewer has clogged up in the past).
Old 10-15-2013, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck.
Originally Posted by slow67
X2, check water heater, as well as the primary a/c drain (mine that ties into my house sewer has clogged up in the past).
how did you unclog it? my father was telling me that when his primary clogs, he pours Clorox bleach to clear it up. I don't know where he pours it though. my air handler drain lines have a piece of PVC that sticks up and is open. do you pour it into that?
Old 10-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jdoyle
how did you unclog it? my father was telling me that when his primary clogs, he pours Clorox bleach to clear it up. I don't know where he pours it though. my air handler drain lines have a piece of PVC that sticks up and is open. do you pour it into that?
Bleach can work and I think is a typical first thing to try. My neighbor keeps a tank of (nitrogen I believe) that he uses to blow the clogs out.
Old 10-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its air conditioning related you most likely have a stopped up primary drain. The primary ties into the main plumbing and when it stops up it overflows into a secondary emergency line. The emergency line runs to the outside (where you're seeing it) If the 3/4 pvc is what's stopped up you would need to buy pvc cutters, pvc 3/4 coupling, pvc wet cement and some sort of air gun like this
http://www.diversitech.com/Product-Line?id=a0jC0000005QcxbIAC

You would then cut the primary pvc line closest to the evaporator coil as possible while leaving enougn pvc to properly apply the coupling when you go to reattach the line. Have a bucket to catch the water that's going to start pouring out from a drain pan. After the pan is empty blow the compressed air through the pvc line to clear the clog. Attach the line back to the coil with the glue and coupling and return system to operation. Once a year in spring its a good idea to add some drain tablets so future problems don't happen.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

It could be the condensate lines from the interior A/C unit, but there is also a good chance that it could be the overflow drain from the water heater as well. I was in a similar situation where it was constantly dripping, and I chased it back to my water heater. The interior liner had eroded away, and was basically dripping constantly, enough to fill the pan an drain to the exterior.
Originally Posted by slow67
X2, check water heater
my water heater is in the attic. I went into the attic and checked it and the pan that it sits in is dry as a bone.

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
I would not be too concerned with how much is draining, but I would try to locate the primary drain (which should be lower) from the outside or from the attic and see if the line is clogged.
I walked around my house and found a lower drain made of PVC (exits home horizontally then does 90 degree turn down) next to a brass/copper drain (same exit and same 90 degree turn down), but it is on the opposite side of my house as the upper drain that is constantly dripping. im inclined to think that at least one of these has something to do with my water heater since the line that runs from the water heater pan points/runs that direction.

Would the builder the lower primary a/c drain on one side of the house with the upper secondary on the opposite side of the house?

Originally Posted by 99Wu8Tx
Once a year in spring its a good idea to add some drain tablets so future problems don't happen.
are these the tablets that you are talking about?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_99663-1410-A...3799425&rpp=32

i have a smart phone. i think i will take a video in my attic and post it. i will investigate further tonight after work.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i confirmed that the 2 lower drain lines that I found on the opposite of my house are for the water heater.

my wife tried to turn the heater on yesterday morning and i heard some sort of quiet tone. not like a whistle from air moving, but like an electrical component that is trying to alert me of some sort of issue that it is having. turned the heater off and it went away. anyone had that happen to them before?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

my wife tried to turn the heater on yesterday morning and i heard some sort of quiet tone. not like a whistle from air moving, but like an electrical component that is trying to alert me of some sort of issue that it is having. turned the heater off and it went away. anyone had that happen to them before?

i had the HVAC guy come out first and he blamed the noise on the gas company, i had the gas company come out and nothing was found.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Probably have the condensate drain and overflow piped backwards.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11secLS1
Probably have the condensate drain and overflow piped backwards.
are you talking about my heater/tone issue?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jdoyle
are you talking about my heater/tone issue?
No

The copper line is the high pressure relief from your water heater. The PVC is the condensate drain from the indoor AHU.

I was referring to the Air Conditioning unit. The original contractor probably piped it backwards. (Drains condensate outside and overflow to sanitary drain.)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 11secLS1
No

The copper line is the high pressure relief from your water heater. The PVC is the condensate drain from the indoor AHU.

I was referring to the Air Conditioning unit. The original contractor probably piped it backwards. (Drains condensate outside and overflow to sanitary drain.)
I think we are getting things mixed up. I have a copper line and a PVC line coming out of my water heater.

I have two PVC lines coming out of my indoor AHU. The primary exits into my master bathroom sink. The secondary exits outside. The HVAC guy said to pour 4 cups of bleach down the primary every month from March to September. He also said to change my 20x25x4 air filter every 4 months not every year. Wife has allergies and we currently have three small dogs.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Teching In

I'm a plumber so some of this may or may not help the is a primary and secondary. If you think one is clogged you can cut the line and blow it out with compressed air, that's what I typically do for drain lines 1 1/4 and below. Just get you a small can of glue and a coupling to repair. You do need to make sure both of the lines go outside, sometimes they will run the condensate lines to a bathroom sink drain and you could actually push the stoppage in to that drain and backup and possibly flood something.

On a side note just to answer the questions about the water heater drains, you have 2 drains on the heater , the t&p (temperature and pressure) and the pan drain, if it was the t&p going off it would be a high pressure stream not a drop ( that is unless the T&P has fail due to age then you might get a slight dip)
The pan drain would not be noticeable from my experience because if the bottom of the heater did rot out that drain could not keep up the the amount of water, they really are designed to catch leaks, whether it be a small leak in the jacket or the nipples.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll help as much as I can.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TA_pat
I'm a plumber so some of this may or may not help the is a primary and secondary. If you think one is clogged you can cut the line and blow it out with compressed air, that's what I typically do for drain lines 1 1/4 and below. Just get you a small can of glue and a coupling to repair. You do need to make sure both of the lines go outside, sometimes they will run the condensate lines to a bathroom sink drain and you could actually push the stoppage in to that drain and backup and possibly flood something.

both of the lines do not go outside. The primary drains into the plumbing for my master sink. The secondary drains outside. I poured 4 cups of bleach down the indoor AHU's primary drain. I think it is helping as I can smell bleach when I turn my sink on so I know the bleach made it to the sink.

On a side note just to answer the questions about the water heater drains, you have 2 drains on the heater , the t&p (temperature and pressure) and the pan drain, if it was the t&p going off it would be a high pressure stream not a drop ( that is unless the T&P has fail due to age then you might get a slight dip)
The pan drain would not be noticeable from my experience because if the bottom of the heater did rot out that drain could not keep up the the amount of water, they really are designed to catch leaks, whether it be a small leak in the jacket or the nipples.

my water heater seems to be operating fine. The home was built in 2006 and the pan is as dry as a bone.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'll help as much as I can.
Thank you Pat. Please see the bold inside the quote.

Quick Reply: Residential A/C Question (DFW Area)