Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

It's cold, new problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's cold, new problems

2006 LS2. Living in Madison, WI, temperatures in the mornings are now down to the upper 20s. I park my car outside (blasphemy, I know, but I let my wife have the garage for her car) and since it has been cold in the mornings, the car won't start using the starter. In warm weather, I occasionally had to release and press the clutch pedal once or twice before it would start properly, but in the past few mornings it won't start at all until I throw it in reverse and pop the clutch while rolling backward. Electronics all work fine and my battery is only about 2 months old, so I don't think it is that. The starter just wont click at all. Any suggestions?

Also, kind of thread-jacking my own post - I drew up a shift gate diagram with red indicating where my shifter stops while traveling forward.More often than not, my car performs like diagram 2, but it sometimes performs like diagram 1 which I feel is more correct since I'm not stuck looking for 5th for a solid 2-3 seconds. Can you all point me in the right direction for this as well? I did read that the reverse lockout solenoid is a somewhat common problem, but I don't have a base line as to where the lockout SHOULD be.

**I did extensive searching on both of these topics, but if anyone has a link with detailed information on either subject, I'd appreciate it.

It's cold, new problems-kg90tmj.png
Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

I would assume its the clutch pedal position sensor(for the starter)

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ode-p0833.html

If its not activating, it doesnt know your pushing in the pedal and wont start.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...772&cc=1432478

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

Or the connector on the starter took a ****
Old 10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Teching In

I forgot to mention, the starter still works during the day. It's ONLY in the morning when the temp is below 30 that it refuses 100%.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like already stated..first get under the car and unplug that starter connector.. make sure its intact...then take a look at the clutch switch.. both can easily be checked with touching a tool out side of a jack
Old 10-23-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can also turn on cruise control, push in the clutch and see if it disengages cruise control. If it stays on it's your clutch switch
Old 10-23-2013, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ nice thinking
Old 10-23-2013, 09:36 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're looking for a needle in a needle stack here. You most likely have a problem with one terminal in one of the many connectors of many harnesses. I'd start by swapping out the relay while the problem is happening (in the cold).

When it's cold, the metal contracts and a poor/questionable connection becomes an open circuit. If the relay doesn't fix anything, jump the clutch switch. If that doesn't work, yank on the harness trying to concentrate on the connectors one by one until it starts.

In all honesty, this is one of those PITA problems that you can fix without knowing what the hell you did to fix it (if it comes down to yanking on the harness). I "fixed" a few problems this way when I worked at dealerships.

Your shifter issue's are most likely due to bad motor mounts. Hit up RevShift for their motor mounts and trans insert.

Last edited by DMM; 10-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
Teching In

I agree. Electrical problem like this are tough to track down.

I would start with the relay. You can also check this by taking a small hammer/wrench and tapping it to see if it releases and the car starts. It might be sticking in the cold. (or just replace it - $15)

Then start disconnecting/reconnecting harness plugs. Re-seating them sometimes gets things connected again.

Good luck.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

I'm actually having the exact same issue now. Cold = no start.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Scott, try starting in 6th. I know it doesn't make sense, but it worked for me twice now....
Old 10-28-2013, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stauren0724
Scott, try starting in 6th. I know it doesn't make sense, but it worked for me twice now....
Didn't work changing any gears. I pulled the hush panel and moved the switch back and forth on the master then the car started fine. Either the switch is my problem or something mechanical to the master itself (less likely).

So to the OP, my vote is clutch safety switch. Amazon has them cheap too.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Scott, I came up with a [temporary] solution to the starting issue. Obviously, like other said, the clutch position sensor is more than likely the faulty piece. I still have an extended warranty with my car, so I will not have this replaced until my dealership agrees that it is an issue, so in the meantime I found a solution, and the solution is very easy. When you press the clutch in, also push it toward the brake pedal when its all the way down. Works every time for me.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:13 AM
Teching In

Wouldn't the starter connector make more sense to be cold related? I seem to recall reading something about replacing the connector from a Corvette.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I got my 07 V in 2010, 5th gear whined so I took it to the dealer and they rebuilt the transmission. After the rebuild with my car off I could do what picture 2 shows and sometimes while driving it would act like picture 1 but sometimes it would let me over like picture 2 when it shouldn't. Fast forward couple years and 5th whined again so dealer replaced trans this time instead of rebuild and ever since then when car is off it acts like picture 1 and when car on and above 3-5mph acts like 1. I had cags delete on both transmissions. I don't remember how car acted prior to trans rebuild in 2010 but my conclusion is the reverse lockout can be flaky and go bad entirely and might be worthwhile replacing if possible without doing a entire rebuild or replace of trans.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:20 AM
Teching In

or, if you have narrowed down your diagnostics/failure to the CSS/CPS you could just jump the terminals and never worry about having to engage/depress the clutch @ start up. Only issue is you will have is with your cruise control feature, which honestly I never use.

Quick Reply: It's cold, new problems