Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

which would buy aLQ4-6.o or l33 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which would buy aLQ4-6.o or l33 5.3

putting in 1966 olds.I know the l33 is a 5.3 all aluminum and the lq4 is a 6.0cast iron with aluminum heads.Which one would you use.thanks fly442
Old 10-29-2013, 03:09 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If power is the goal the 6 liter takes the cake. If budget and cruising is the main focus, then the 5.3 liter.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Both should work fine....but if you had 2 identical motors and one had only more cubic inches....the bigger ci motor would produce more torque which equal horsepower.
In a '66 Olds... I'd like the bigger inch motor if for no other reason than the TQ.

Again.... depends on use, as said above.
Now $$$ comes into play....budget Vs. use.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug G
Both should work fine....but if you had 2 identical motors and one had only more cubic inches....the bigger ci motor would produce more torque which equal horsepower.
In a '66 Olds... I'd like the bigger inch motor if for no other reason than the TQ.

Again.... depends on use, as said above.
Now $$$ comes into play....budget Vs. use.
Id like to see a comparable on torque between a 5.3 and 6.0. Im not up on all the specifics on different LS variants ,but don't the 5.3 and 6.0 have the same stroke ? If they do, I don't think the torque difference would be very substantial .
If it were me, I would have to take a long look at what the car will be asked to do. For all out acceleration , the HP advantage would have to go to the 6.0 and Im sure it would overcome the weight penalty of the iron block. It would also give the car a similar balance to the way it came from the factory. If the car is more for overall performance, like a pro-touring build, the 90 lbs weight advantage of the aluminum block would help out a lot in the balance department. A couple tricks like moving the battery, making light weight inner fenders, fiberglass hood (if anyone makes such a thing for a 66 olds) along with the light block would transform the handling of the car. Either way, welcome to the world of LSX performance ! Im sure you will love either one compared to the dead weight Dr Olds dropped under the hood of that classic, LOL.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 6.0 ftw!

IMO:

From a power/weight ratio, the additional power a 6.0 is capable of producing would be more beneiticial then the ~80lb weight savings offered by a L33.

From a future expansion standpoint, the 6.0 opens a whole new world. Square port heads? Bu-bye tires! Huge bore/stroke build? Here is my license Officer! Turbo boost? Bring it on baby! Spray with nitrous? Please Sir, I want some more! These options are either NOT possible or would really push the limits of an aluminum block LS.

The only exception I can think of is a purpose built strictly auto cross vehicle. In that case the 80lb weight loss over the front axle may prove more beneficial then the additional hp of a 6.0. Plus, without a skilled driver, that extra HP may be more of a hinderance.

Thats my $.02 anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
IMO:

From a power/weight ratio, the additional power a 6.0 is capable of producing would be more beneiticial then the ~80lb weight savings offered by a L33.

From a future expansion standpoint, the 6.0 opens a whole new world. Square port heads? Bu-bye tires! Huge bore/stroke build? Here is my license Officer! Turbo boost? Bring it on baby! Spray with nitrous? Please Sir, I want some more! These options are either NOT possible or would really push the limits of an aluminum block LS.

The only exception I can think of is a purpose built strictly auto cross vehicle. In that case the 80lb weight loss over the front axle may prove more beneficial then the additional hp of a 6.0. Plus, without a skilled driver, that extra HP may be more of a hinderance.

Thats my $.02 anyway.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cruisin'73
IMO:

Thats my $.02 anyway.
I completely agree on the 6.0 being the HP king of the 2 choices, but I wouldn't hesitate to boost or spray an aluminum LS. I don't think the iron block is a must till you get over the 700-750HP level. And if you are going for the hero #s, why not just move up to the LSX block. Then you can go buck wild with the HP/TQ, well till you run out of money. Which for me would be before I even bought a piston, LOL.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:59 PM
Teching In

I went with an L33 for the weight savings and mpg. Autocross, road racing, and mpg is a huge thing for me so that was the logic behind it. Its all about what you want out of it. Hope this helps,

-Michael
Old 10-29-2013, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAHA! Good point Michael!

I didn't even think once about fuel economy when I was pondering and posting. Guess we know where my priorities are!
Old 10-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

If I understand correctly, the L33 has 243 heads and 10:1 compression. To me, that makes it an interesting little Hot Rod motor. However, from a performance standpoint in a heavier car, I would be hard pressed to not choose the larger motor. How many guys have built stroker motors to get that extra 40 cubic inches? They didn't spend that money for no reason.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by newschool72
Id like to see a comparable on torque between a 5.3 and 6.0. Im not up on all the specifics on different LS variants ,but don't the 5.3 and 6.0 have the same stroke ? If they do, I don't think the torque difference would be very substantial
Think 383 Vs. 406 .... same everything except bore
Old 10-29-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My first car was a 1965 Olds Jetstar 88 with a 330 cu motor and 2 speed auto trans. That thing flat sailed! The little motor had some insane compression ratio and that seemed to be what made it go. For that reason alone I might consider the smaller cube.

About the only reason people buy the 5.3 over the 6.0 is price. And the 5.3's are cheaper because everyone wants the bigger motor. Ought to tell you something. But sometimes you have to build what you can afford.

Olds didn't make a small car in 1966 so weight can't be too much of an issue.

As for performance that larger bore really helps the heads breathe. 5.3's have shitty little cams and weak valve springs that float over 5500 RPM. Plan on changing that out if you want much get up and go.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doug G
Think 383 Vs. 406 .... same everything except bore
I just did what I should have done before I posted that post. L33=335 ft lbs , LQ4=360 ft lbs. 25 ft lbs is more difference than I expected to see, but still not a blow out in the torque department. If the 90 lbs difference in physical weight is taken into account, it would most likely feel like less of a difference than the 25 ft lbs would seem to be.
I know that future mods would widen the gap between the two engines, but because the engines have the same crank, the little 5.3 wouldn't FEEL a lot slower in real world driving. The aluminum engine might even feel stronger from a stop, because going on a 90 lbs diet ,on the nose, would let the front of the car lift more from a stop and give better weight transfer and traction. At the track, the 6.0 would surely run quicker, but in the day to day stop light rally , the little 5.3 would be closer than you might think.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Teching In

I am shooting to get 30mpg out of my L33, so I should be saving more money "down the road"
Old 10-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Forgot to add my l33 came with 799 heads which is good. They are the LS6 casting

Quick Reply: which would buy aLQ4-6.o or l33 5.3