Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Hood clearance 67 camaro carbed ls2

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:35 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hood clearance 67 camaro carbed ls2

I have been installing my ls2 in by 67 camaro and when I put the intake and carb on I noticed how high it was sitting. I put a straight edge across the cowl and front panel and I only have just under 2" of clearance.I have a stock ss hood. Same as a flat hood. No way to get a breather on that this engine would need. I did not anticipate this beeing a problem. I was wondering what some of you did to over come this and what combo's you used. I am using the gmpp intake and a pro systems 4150 series carb. If you used a cowl hood what rise did you use and what size breather fit under it and did you have to trim the under side of the hood. I would like to have a 2" no more that 3" if I have to go this way. Also want a steel hood bolt on. I know there is some nice fiberglass hoods out there if I have to go that way. Would still want a bolt on. Would like to here what some of you have done.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:55 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a 4"cowl, bolt on fiberglass hood.
my combo had a l92 vic jr which is taller than your intake, with it I had 2" of clearance. using a drop base air cleaner and 4" filter.
I am sure your setup will fit under an oem style 69 cowl hood with a drop base air cleaner and a 3" filter.
disclaimer: 60% of the time, Im right, EVERY time!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I use a 4"cowl, bolt on fiberglass hood.
my combo had a l92 vic jr which is taller than your intake, with it I had 2" of clearance. using a drop base air cleaner and 4" filter.
I am sure your setup will fit under an oem style 69 cowl hood with a drop base air cleaner and a 3" filter.
disclaimer: 60% of the time, Im right, EVERY time!
How do you like your fiberglass hood. After looking at some steel hoods there is a lot of bracing under them. Dont know if the breather will fit in the factory hole with the ls motor. May have to do some cutting on the braces on a metal hood. Fiberglass may be the way to go. Also I seen fibergalss at 3". 3" may be ok. Thanks for the input
Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 PM
8 Second Club

I like it just fine, but the full bolt on setup did not save any weight over a steel hood.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a Camaro, but invested in a 3 inch bolt on fiberglass hood. I always frowned on them till I bought a Cervinis one for my s10 blazer, it weighs 26 lbs, lol, Got a steal on ebay for 200 and some change shipped, usually 700 buck hood

You should be able to run a drop base air cleaner and get away with it, just keep in mind you want the biggest filter you can get with a drop base so you dont lose too much air

Another option, I don't like them, just throwin it out there
http://www.spectreperformance.com/in...m-filters.html
Old 10-31-2013, 02:35 PM
8 Second Club

^ DONT run that POS
Old 10-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by snook
I don't have a Camaro, but invested in a 3 inch bolt on fiberglass hood. I always frowned on them till I bought a Cervinis one for my s10 blazer, it weighs 26 lbs, lol, Got a steal on ebay for 200 and some change shipped, usually 700 buck hood

You should be able to run a drop base air cleaner and get away with it, just keep in mind you want the biggest filter you can get with a drop base so you dont lose too much air

Another option, I don't like them, just throwin it out there
http://www.spectreperformance.com/in...m-filters.html
I do plan on running a drop base cleaner and get as much as I can on the height. The fiberglass has no obstrutions under like the steel hoods. I am worried about air flow so I will do what I need to to get it. If I can get a
14"x4" breather under there I will be happy. I am just not sure how big a cowl hood I will need to do get.

Not interested in the dual set up. Thanks for the suggetion
Old 10-31-2013, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3pedals
I like it just fine, but the full bolt on setup did not save any weight over a steel hood.
If I go the full bolt on fiberglass I am not to worried about the weight. This is mainly a street car, sometimes I take it to the track to have some fun and some tuning. I just dont want to hurt the air flow . I think the air flow would hurt the performance more than the weight.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Mine with a VicJr. and a 2.5" filter in a 1" drop base fits under my "Stinger" hood with room to spare. (same height as a stock cowl hood)
Would it fit under a stock flat hood....no, not without work.
IF the GMPP intake is shorter (as I think it is) and add a drop base air filter....you'll be good
Old 10-31-2013, 08:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doug G
Mine with a VicJr. and a 2.5" filter in a 1" drop base fits under my "Stinger" hood with room to spare. (same height as a stock cowl hood)
Would it fit under a stock flat hood....no, not without work.
IF the GMPP intake is shorter (as I think it is) and add a drop base air filter....you'll be good
I will do some reserch and see what the diffrence between the two intakes are. If the 2" cowl hood would get me a 3" filter I could live with that. I like the 2" cowl better. I just dont want a 4" cowl hood. The steel hoods go from 2" to 4" rise.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:52 AM
10 Second Club

I have about 3-4" between carb flange and hood....I'll get a pic later today.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Doug G
I have about 3-4" between carb flange and hood....I'll get a pic later today.
That would be great. I will also get a picture so you can see what I have. Does the stinger hood have a round hole for the beather to fit in or is it just an open space. A picture of the underside of the hood would be great also. Thanks
Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone have some real world research on just how high the hood NEEDS to be above the carb entrance? Im not trying to high jack your thread OP, but Im pretty sure there is a point that the hood (or breather) becomes a disruption to air flow and hurts performance in a big way.
Do any of you remember the Super Nova car from Hot Rod mag a few years ago ? They built the car as a budget hot rod. It first go a 383 that they built and got into the high 11s. On down the road ,they used the car for a comparison between a SBC427 and a BBC 509 from World Products. The SBC 427 ran almost identical to the much more radical 383 (11.70s I believe). Then they installed the 509 and the car nose dived to a 12.08. They then noticed that the 509 set much higher in the chassis. I think they only had 2" or so between the carb inlet and the hood, making them have to run a drop base filter setup. They removed the hood and the 509 improved to an 11.60 !
As much as I don't like a high cowl hood on a mild street car, I wish I had gone with the 4" cowl on my 72 Camaro since I only have about 2 1/2" clearance the way mine sits now. I just didn't have any idea how high the LS3 would sit in the engine bay when I started my build. OP, I would go with the higher cowl (4") if you really want to eliminate restriction at the carb, unless the 1st gen has a deeper engine bay and , like Doug said , he has a good 3-4" of clearance. I would shoot for at least 4" of flange to hood room.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, and I have a homemade stinger hood for a first gen sitting in my garage. I had it on my 68 but had a few bubbles pop up after I painted the car. It is a stock hood with the 427 vette (fiberglass) scoop. It is setup to seal the carb from the engine bay. I just cut a round hole in the proper spot for the breather to sit right in front of the scoop grill. Its for sale, but I don't have any interest in shipping it. If you have a way to get to GA and are interested , I can snap a few pics.
Old 11-01-2013, 08:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by newschool72
Does anyone have some real world research on just how high the hood NEEDS to be above the carb entrance? Im not trying to high jack your thread OP, but Im pretty sure there is a point that the hood (or breather) becomes a disruption to air flow and hurts performance in a big way.
Do any of you remember the Super Nova car from Hot Rod mag a few years ago ? They built the car as a budget hot rod. It first go a 383 that they built and got into the high 11s. On down the road ,they used the car for a comparison between a SBC427 and a BBC 509 from World Products. The SBC 427 ran almost identical to the much more radical 383 (11.70s I believe). Then they installed the 509 and the car nose dived to a 12.08. They then noticed that the 509 set much higher in the chassis. I think they only had 2" or so between the carb inlet and the hood, making them have to run a drop base filter setup. They removed the hood and the 509 improved to an 11.60 !
As much as I don't like a high cowl hood on a mild street car, I wish I had gone with the 4" cowl on my 72 Camaro since I only have about 2 1/2" clearance the way mine sits now. I just didn't have any idea how high the LS3 would sit in the engine bay when I started my build. OP, I would go with the higher cowl (4") if you really want to eliminate restriction at the carb, unless the 1st gen has a deeper engine bay and , like Doug said , he has a good 3-4" of clearance. I would shoot for at least 4" of flange to hood room.
Newschool, No high jack here. Any info is welcome. That is one of my concerns is air flow to the carb as well as fitment. Had the same thing happen to a freind of mine. He was close to the carb with the hood no filter and we closed the hood at the dyno the last pass just to see and we were amazed how much power was down. So you may be right. I may have to go with the 4" hood to get a big enough breather.
Old 11-01-2013, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

My hood is fiberglass and the bottom looks like the top but reversed...and not smooth or shiney
Just measured from top of carb where fiter sits to hood....3 1/2"- 3 5/8"

I put a ban on these hoods on the Camaro site I'm on since I didn't want to see them ending up like a cowl hood LOL ..............as a joke.
I've only seen 1 other in person and only a handful in mags.

Last edited by Doug G; 11-01-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Launching!

Heres a picture with a straight edge going from front panel to the cowl. The stock hood does have some rise in it. My ss hood has about a 1" rise . The rule represents the diameter of the breather on the front side 7" from center. The rule is 1" tall. The one thing this intake dont have is 3* fall in the front of the carb to make it level . This is the reason for the high point in the front. I dont know if another intake company compensate for this. My engine is sitting a 4*.

Doug G, I think I have your younger sibling.
Attached Thumbnails Hood clearance 67 camaro carbed ls2-hood-004.jpg   Hood clearance 67 camaro carbed ls2-ls2-001.jpg   Hood clearance 67 camaro carbed ls2-69-camaro-001.jpg  
Old 11-01-2013, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice lookin cars guys Your engine bay is super clean and neat, can tell you pay attention to details.....

I know the edelbrock dual plane is at an angle, mine is almost perfectly level.

Quick Reply: Hood clearance 67 camaro carbed ls2