Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Trans shop in VA?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans shop in VA?

Getting the T56 rebuilt under warranty. They will pay for the repair but not the shipping so since my shop deals with D&D I am trying to find someone closer to Virginia. Tick is right down the road but they dont do any warranty work. I have looked online but not finding anyone reputable enough. If you have anyone please chime in.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have Tick find out how much they cover and make up the difference with them? That might be an option.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:04 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was checking around, Tick was cheapest by a long shot. What is the deal with your warranty company? Will they require an adjustor or something to inspect the trans parts?

Extended warranties usually require shops that do the work to warranty the repairs for a set amount of time (usually 12/12,000). I don't think you'll find a shop that will accept the liabilities of coverage to sublet the repair (and the markup/profits).

You may want to take it to the dealer and have them blow it out of the park with the estimate, then attempt to negotiate a reasonable outcome with the warranty company (such as subleting the repair to another vendor). Or, they may approve a new trans for $5k since most dealers won't touch a repair like this anymore due to liability of having to warranty a performance drive line item. They're more likely to have an estimate to replace every hard part in the trans to justify the price of a unit assembly.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

I looked at these guys right across the Potomac: http://rktperformance.com/
Old 11-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Eastern Regional Coordinator

Was about to post about Rick Kim. RKT56. Place to go. Guy to use.
Old 11-07-2013, 06:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MacLEAN
I looked at these guys right across the Potomac: http://rktperformance.com/
Ill call them.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
When I was checking around, Tick was cheapest by a long shot. What is the deal with your warranty company? Will they require an adjustor or something to inspect the trans parts?

Extended warranties usually require shops that do the work to warranty the repairs for a set amount of time (usually 12/12,000). I don't think you'll find a shop that will accept the liabilities of coverage to sublet the repair (and the markup/profits).

You may want to take it to the dealer and have them blow it out of the park with the estimate, then attempt to negotiate a reasonable outcome with the warranty company (such as subleting the repair to another vendor). Or, they may approve a new trans for $5k since most dealers won't touch a repair like this anymore due to liability of having to warranty a performance drive line item. They're more likely to have an estimate to replace every hard part in the trans to justify the price of a unit assembly.
Tick would be fine, but they told me they dont do any warranty work. According to the warranty company (I called twice and got same answer) they will likely send an adjuster to my shop to hear the noise (which you cant miss). They will approve the teardown and repair based on that (They wont cover shipping) and once open, they will determine if they need another adjuster to inspect (depending on amount of damage found)

The reason I skipped the dealer (they told me they can rebuild it in house) is I wanted to get the billet 3/4 inserts and fork pads upgrade during the rebuild. Also I am doing the clutch, bushings, short shifter and having the calipers pulled and repainted. I dont trust the dealer to touch all the aftermarket stuff without a problem. I might take it by the caddy dealer just to get an estimate and see what they say about your theory since I could see that being the easy route. I asked them over the phone and they made it sound like a rebuild was their typical approach to this kind of problem ( i was surprised)

D&D was a good choice, and shipping is only 100 each way according to my guys. The car is going under the knife in a couple weeks so I need to figure out what route to take.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default trany rebuild

Ask James at Lindsay Cadillac Alex. Va. IF u have the parts I am sure they will put them in for u..btw: I think DMM has a level 2 or3 clutch kit for sale...check him out...goodluck

Quick Reply: Trans shop in VA?