HMP First time ever WOW

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default HMP First time ever WOW

This is by far the nicest 1/8 mile track in the area even though the shutdown is a little short. The people running the track suck at it. There was a **** pile of cars there which is fine, but the organization was terrible. people were allowed to park however the hell they wanted. I had to ask several times for people to move there personal cars out of the way so we could get back to our trailer and we didn't even take up a whole space. We park the race car directly behind our rig because we really don't need both sides of the stall like some of the more complex rigs. There was an ice chest stereo playing so loud at the starting line you could hear it over the race cars. I had to spray my own water in the burnout box. They couldn't or didn't keep the hot car lane open very long at all. The place was a damn zoo. I am not saying I won't go back because you never know when you may need the track for T&T or what not but my main track will remain LMP and RPR second. Racers there seem to still know about pit manners and if they don't the track has no problem reminding them.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:39 PM
AGH
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to HMP a few times but quit for the same reasons you say. It's a last resort track for me. But, I have noticed that at RPR people are getting stupid about parking too. Plus, the water box guy does not leave any room for the street cars to avoid the water.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

RPR is only one step above HMP. As said RPR leaves no room for cars to go around the water box, lots of fast driving through the pits, they allow cars to start doing burn outs before the cars in front of them have even left. I think there was a crash where some one hit the bathrooms and consession stand a few months ago. I would be willing to pay a higher entry fee if it would help keep the trash out.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:05 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

His was a Friday? Friday I get there at 630ish and load up by 9:30-10. The idiots take over in trucks and whatever else and start tracking water down the track with street radials. Becomes dangerous.

Sunday is all slicks and drag radials and not much of the a as Sunday late crowd.

But, one thing I have done at HMP that I could never do at RPR, made 15+ passes and could have made more. The track prep at HMP is usually fantastic unless it rained out the Sunday before and it's Friday.

Not to mention the drive for me is great compared to any other track.

Also they are pretty laxed about my safety gear, not that that's a good thing for my own well being.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
His was a Friday? Friday I get there at 630ish and load up by 9:30-10. The idiots take over in trucks and whatever else and start tracking water down the track with street radials. Becomes dangerous.

Sunday is all slicks and drag radials and not much of the a as Sunday late crowd.

But, one thing I have done at HMP that I could never do at RPR, made 15+ passes and could have made more. The track prep at HMP is usually fantastic unless it rained out the Sunday before and it's Friday.

Not to mention the drive for me is great compared to any other track.

Also they are pretty laxed about my safety gear, not that that's a good thing for my own well being.
Yes Friday night, We took my LS swap 90' Camaro out for the first time. It has been a few years since I have been drag racing on a regular basis but my kids are getting old enough I can start up next season. Lonestar will be my track of choice once again. All the tracks are about 80 miles for me since Angleton closed.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been once to HMP and liked it. But I got there when the gates opened and left before everyone showed up. When I left around 9 there was a line of about 30 cars trying to get in. I'd be nice if one of them went to 4 wide
Old 11-12-2013, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danieloneil01
I've been once to HMP and liked it. But I got there when the gates opened and left before everyone showed up. When I left around 9 there was a line of about 30 cars trying to get in. I'd be nice if one of them went to 4 wide
No way in hell would that be a good idea! They both have trouble running just two lanes. Could only imagine what it would be like with 4
Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Staging Lane

Last time I went to HMP I had to tell about 5 or 6 arrogant retards to get the hell off my car in the staging lanes. It's almost like you (being the guy with he race car), are in their way because you're trying to get up to the tree. Like you said, I'm not counting it out for future testing, but it's not my favorite place. I'm also not crazy about my wife and kids walking around there also, lots of them have no respect for women and children.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

The only family member I take with me to hmp is my little friend. By the way, your car seems to be coming along nicely since you took over most of the work.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2013, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by khenry
Last time I went to HMP I had to tell about 5 or 6 arrogant retards to get the hell off my car in the staging lanes. It's almost like you (being the guy with he race car), are in their way because you're trying to get up to the tree. Like you said, I'm not counting it out for future testing, but it's not my favorite place. I'm also not crazy about my wife and kids walking around there also, lots of them have no respect for women and children.
Not gonna lie i like hmp on Sundays...But i second the wife and kid thing my wife and kid will never go there..
Old 11-13-2013, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I live 5 mins from HMP. The place has turned into a ghettofest.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WTF?
I live 5 mins from HMP. The place has turned into a ghettofest.
Yep people don't believe in the bathroom I seen some peeing in the staging lanes.And always in the pit area.Lots of funny smelling cigarets there to.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:18 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never go there due to the reasons posted as well. The lack of shut down area is just icing on the cake IMO. Absolutely ZERO professionalism there.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:35 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Yea, being as I was once the only white male in my school, I guess allot of that does not stand out. If you point it out, I guess I notice but I'm there worried about me and my cars performance and don't pay much attention to other crap.

Now, why some idiots feel the need to park behind my trailer when my car is not there? That is beyond me. Guess some orange comes are in my future.

But, like I said, I get a ton of seat time quick and the prep is usually fantastic with the drive being on the short side. Makes it easy to over look many of the complaints. I leave before it gets bad too. So another reason it doesn't bother me.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 AM
AGH
Staging Lane

Aside from all that is said here - nobody ever asks me what my car runs in the 1/8th. People always ask me what my car runs in the 1/4 mile. I stick to the 1/4 mile track.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

HMP used to be a fun track to go to, it has really gone downhill in the last 5 years or so. I've gone a couple of times this year (for tuning purposes), but like to get there when the gate opens and leave before 9 or 10pm.

x2 on the ********* parking behind your trailer, that happened to me last time I was there too. Most of them have never been to a track before and don't have the god damn common sense to not park behind someones trailer.

My wife and kid refuse to go with me anymore. I don't see it going anywhere but downhill..
Old 11-18-2013, 07:59 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Have heard the same about RPR. So far it seems LMP is the way to go but I'm not driving that far.
Old 11-18-2013, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

Even Sealy has its drawbacks. The strip faces south and seems like everytime I go I'm always going against the wind, which is opposite of RPR. My times at RPR are usually better by .1-.2 tenths. Track prep is meh..plus as you pointed out it's too far. But if you want to race on a Saturday it seems to be the only option. I still have fun when I go out there though, and feel I don't need to bring a gun.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:08 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Lol, the last line was pretty funny.

I alwas have a blast on Sundays at HMP. Fridays, the hood is out thick since women get in free.

Quick Reply: HMP First time ever WOW