Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

275/50/15 MT DR..who runs them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 275/50/15 MT DR..who runs them?

Getting ready to run my car with the new BBC soon. Current tires are MT 275/50/15 drag radials. With my 406 sbc and not well set up suspension it was a hit or miss hooking up. What kind of 60's are you guys getting with this size?
Old 11-20-2013, 04:35 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Your torque will probably over power them without some serious suspension.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine arent the 50's, but i have 275/60s and have gotten 1.35.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:54 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Zone thats what I'm thinking too. Hope not!

Fast89....yeah the 60's is what I will have to go too if needed.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:03 PM
In-Zane Moderator

I'm sure you will, you will need all the contact patch you can get. The LS is sort of a bridge between the old SBC and the big block. But the big block is just a torque monster.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I'm sure you will, you will need all the contact patch you can get. The LS is sort of a bridge between the old SBC and the big block. But the big block is just a torque monster.
Yeah probably going to keep the stall speed moderate to help hook the car since my current suspension isn't optimized.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM
In-Zane Moderator

It is a good idea.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:23 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

May try it with current Hotchkis drop springs first. Probably try the Moroso front springs and some good adjustable shocks next.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 6D9
May try it with current Hotchkis drop springs first. Probably try the Moroso front springs and some good adjustable shocks next.
The MTs are a better drag tire than the used Nitto NTO5Rs Im trying to hook with. That and you will have a better side wall than the 275-40-17s Im running. BUT!! the Hotchkis springs are not your friend at the drag strip and I doubt the springs will allow you to hook up, unless you are down on power off the converter.
I wish I could give some results on the difference between the Moroso springs and the Hotchkis . My springs shipped Tuesday , so they will be here soon. I haven't heard from Summit about the drop ship on my shocks yet, so I don't know when the Bilstein drag shocks will show up.
If the track is close and its no big deal to go there, IMO, try the Hotchkis ,so you have a before and after reference . If its a chore to go, stick the Morosos on and find a good drag shock before you make the trip.
If its a mostly street driven car, take a close look at the Bilsteins drag shocks. They are designed just for cars that are driven to the track and they claim a .3 reduction in ET with just a change from regular shocks to their draggers. They say the shock has no resistance to lift off the line , but the internal valving stops the shocks movement the instant the piston stops moving to hold the weight transfer, then slowly bleeds down to give a good stance down the track. 90 bucks a pop, but if they will give a decent drive on the street and work good at the track, its money well spent, IMO.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:58 PM
6D9
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by newschool72
The MTs are a better drag tire than the used Nitto NTO5Rs Im trying to hook with. That and you will have a better side wall than the 275-40-17s Im running. BUT!! the Hotchkis springs are not your friend at the drag strip and I doubt the springs will allow you to hook up, unless you are down on power off the converter.
I wish I could give some results on the difference between the Moroso springs and the Hotchkis . My springs shipped Tuesday , so they will be here soon. I haven't heard from Summit about the drop ship on my shocks yet, so I don't know when the Bilstein drag shocks will show up.
If the track is close and its no big deal to go there, IMO, try the Hotchkis ,so you have a before and after reference . If its a chore to go, stick the Morosos on and find a good drag shock before you make the trip.
If its a mostly street driven car, take a close look at the Bilsteins drag shocks. They are designed just for cars that are driven to the track and they claim a .3 reduction in ET with just a change from regular shocks to their draggers. They say the shock has no resistance to lift off the line , but the internal valving stops the shocks movement the instant the piston stops moving to hold the weight transfer, then slowly bleeds down to give a good stance down the track. 90 bucks a pop, but if they will give a decent drive on the street and work good at the
track, its money well spent, IMO.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah with my sbc and 3200 stall best 60 foot was a 1.72. This was with a 3.50 gear. Front springs were the Hotchkis with 90/10 Summit drag shocks. No good reviews on these cheapo shocks. But the 600 lb rate drop coils really don't allow them to work. I will take a look at the bilstiens for sure. Thanks!
Old 11-22-2013, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My springs came in yesterday. I had to go get some MRIs of my back and neck this morning, but Im going to try to get them on this afternoon. I tinkered with them a little while yesterday and WHAT A PITA !!! They are twice as long as the Hotchkis springs. I grabbed a loaner spring compressor from Advance, so maybe I can get somewhere with them now. My Bilsteins supposedly shipped from NC yesterday , so may show up today at some point. I will let you know how they work out for me.

Quick Reply: 275/50/15 MT DR..who runs them?