Auto techs come in!Going back to school, need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto techs come in!Going back to school, need some opinions

Well I'm thinking of going back to school and finishing my automotive degree. I'm just curious of what the job market for techs is these days. Thanks guys
Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Diesel and transmission techs seem to be what everyone is looking for. That and boneheaded lube techs.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

I'm def not a boneheaded lube tech lol. Had to drop out after my first year of auto technical college in Waco. Ive got some good info from UTI and a good shot a working for Robby Gordon off-road when I graduate. Just hoping the standard job market is decent as a fallback
Old 12-04-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Addict

Don't do it. . . GO to college and get a real job. I went to Uti and have been with Bmw and now Benz for 2 years. I went back to college 3 years ago. I want out. I want more days off and better benefits and tired of the backbreaking labor.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Don't do it. . . GO to college and get a real job. I went to Uti and have been with Bmw and now Benz for 2 years. I went back to college 3 years ago. I want out. I want more days off and better benefits and tired of the backbreaking labor.
word.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

Since the last "What do the auto techs here think about going to UTI?" post (you should really search that one up) I've changed shops, and quickly became the shop manager. Now I wear dress close and sit at a desk most of the day on the phone and computer. When I say most of the day I mean 11 hours on the clock and another 1.5 in traffic to and from. So far my money is no different than when I was wrenching for 8 hours a day 20 minutes from the house.

Jst like he said, go to school for a real career. Automotive service sucks compared to just about 80% else. You'll bust *** long hours for people who appreciate the money you bring but don't reward you enough for it. You'll be hearing about them and their rich *** buddy's spend their free time spending good money living it up but having you reduce their buddy's bills while you and your techs barely have a life.

Just a warning from an L1 Master Tech who's good at what he does.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:27 PM
Staging Lane

i couldnt agree agree with these guys more, ive been in the business since i was 16 and im 35 now. its not what it used to be and is not getting better,alot of really good guys have moved on. take advantage of your opportunity with school .
Old 12-04-2013, 11:08 PM
Teching In

OP: Since you have a mechanical mind set, maybe step in to the oil and gas field - http://www.utexas.edu/ce/petex/ There is good money to be made down here. Good Luck!
Old 12-05-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oil and gas is decent money but the hours and labor are more difficult. Mechanically inclined? Go do engineering technology or Industrial maintenance. I'm an FAA Airframe and Powerplant mechanic, and the airplane world isn't much better than autos or anything else.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Since the last "What do the auto techs here think about going to UTI?" post (you should really search that one up) I've changed shops, and quickly became the shop manager. Now I wear dress close and sit at a desk most of the day on the phone and computer. When I say most of the day I mean 11 hours on the clock and another 1.5 in traffic to and from. So far my money is no different than when I was wrenching for 8 hours a day 20 minutes from the house.

Jst like he said, go to school for a real career. Automotive service sucks compared to just about 80% else. You'll bust *** long hours for people who appreciate the money you bring but don't reward you enough for it. You'll be hearing about them and their rich *** buddy's spend their free time spending good money living it up but having you reduce their buddy's bills while you and your techs barely have a life.

Just a warning from an L1 Master Tech who's good at what he does.
I worked at a dealer to pay my way through college, but most of my friends are still technicians. It's hard to make a decent living turning a wrench. All of my friends are going back to school or trying to get out, but its hard. As Manic said, being a service writer or something else in the auto service industry is still long hours and not much better $$$. If you want to go to school, go for something else.

Cars are getting more complicated and the knowledge curve is ramping up, but the pay is not keeping up with the knowledge and tools they expect you to have.

Oil and gas is a good field. That is what I work in now, but I am a desk jockey. You can work in the field, but there are risks and it is very hard on your body just like working on a car. If you really want it, go for it. Just know its not easy street if you want to work in the field or on mechanical items.

Quick Reply: Auto techs come in!Going back to school, need some opinions