Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what supercharger for power AND sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what supercharger for power AND sound?

Ok ive been set on getting a supercharger for my gmc s15 pickup. I have posted here before and rather than bumping a old thread for a question not related to the title im making a new one.

I have a 1989 gmc s15 pickup as some of you may know. I built a "frankenstien" lq9 with ls3 heads, carbed, cammed, bolton, n/a engine that runs really well for what it is.. took me to a best of 96.5 in the 1/8th on a tiny 225 bfg drag radial th400 and stock rear end. Im starting to think I want to turn this pickup into more of a "holy **** hang on why am I riding in this" thing, rather than the "tame" vehicle it is now. I have a bottle for the truck but before I spray the engine with the 100 hp jets I re thought the outcome lol. Mainly I seen a piston contacting my new heads... so here we go.

ive had a couple turbo tuner cars a subaru sti and a solstice gxp. Fun cars and always put a smile on my face for what they were... But ive never had a supercharged vehicle. For some reason, that whine always has me intrigued.

Im looking for a supercharger that will deliver about 850-900 crank hp on at the least a 6.0 to possibly (and easier to achive) a 408 using my ls3 heads and forged pistons, rods, and the right cam. This is do able I know and I had a kenne bell 2.8 lc or possibly bigger supercharger in mind. But now im hearing these superchargers arent as loud as some of the others.

I need 2 things out of this setup. 1, I need to be scared of this truck every time I turn the key. Thats where that 850+ hp comes in at. I figure thats just enough to scare the **** out of me in this 2700# pickup.
and 2, I need the supercharger to be borderline obnoxiously loud at wot. Ive never had the whine and I figure the only reason to have a supercharger would be for the whine. I could put a turbo setup on the truck fairly easily and reach that hp goal with some other parts im sure... but I dont want the whistle, I want the whine.

Ive searched and searched, and watched countless youtube videos. The main vehicles that feature a blower are the cobras and I just dont think it is going to be the same. The ls crowd tends to go turbo at that hp level so im kinda at a loss here.

please help me in at least the right direction. Whipple, kenne bell, tvs, what?
Old 12-16-2013, 02:38 AM
TECH Resident

I think the bigger Kennebells have helical cut gears which would make noise, also you might wanna use a cog driven belt for noise...
Old 12-16-2013, 03:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Helical will quite the blower. Procharger has helical cut gears as an option to quiet it down. Just like a stock transmission with helical gears VS a racing trans with straight cut gears.

Honestly any of the blowers will have a whine to them. The Procharger with Helical gears being the quietest.

The whipples and KBs have a good whine to them. For that power a 4.0L whipple might be the way to go. There are a couple on here with pretty big power and whipples.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...al-thread.html

TVS will probably be quieter as it's used in all of the modern GM applications. ZL1, ZR1 and LSA are all TVS.

Last edited by Exidous; 12-16-2013 at 03:22 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:43 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you looking for a postivie displacement blower whine, or the whirring sound you get from a centrifugal blower? Try a F1-A/C Procharger and you'll be more than happy with the power output I think, and the sound is music to a lot of people's ears.

Here's what a Procharger sounds like just rolling around...

There's no hiding that you have a supercharger. It's great pulling into car meets because the sound is so distinctive, and you can hear it, but it's not obnoxious.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 12-16-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I want the whine of a whipple or a kenne bell. Here is what im looking for or louder, forgive me cuz its a mustang,

I dont want to go too big with the blower since that will spin slower and reduce noise if im thinking right. But I dont want to spin too high and cause a heat issue making the power unreliable. Its a fine line between function over form I guess you can say... the truck needs to be fast, like scare me fast. If it cant be fast with a loud supercharger then I might as well have a turbo...

thanks so far guys, tax time is comming up so ill bebuying mid feb early march

Quick Reply: what supercharger for power AND sound?