General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

E brake

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E brake

Ok I have a 2000 m6 z28 I'll be taking to my shop tomorrow when I bought it the ebrake didn't work and when I say doesent work I mean I can completely pull the handle up with no pressure would this likely be the e brake shoes or just needing some adjustment any help is appreciated
Old 01-08-2014, 01:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If there are shoes, then the handle needs adjusting. The the shoes are missing, then you'll need new shoes and probably have to adjust it.
Old 01-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Staging Lane

Ok thanks for the reply do you know where the adjustment would be on the handle
Old 01-08-2014, 03:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad28
Ok thanks for the reply do you know where the adjustment would be on the handle
You have to adjust rear rotor separately, so you won't have to mess with the handle. Its not hard but it is time consuming. Run a search on here and you'll find more information on how to set it.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

This usually happens when the rotors are changed or something in the e-Brake fails.

I'll bet someone changed the brakes before you got the car and didn't know that the e-Brake needs to be adjusted to the new rotor bores. (It is a PITA to do.)
Old 01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
This usually happens when the rotors are changed or something in the e-Brake fails.

I'll bet someone changed the brakes before you got the car and didn't know that the e-Brake needs to be adjusted to the new rotor bores. (It is a PITA to do.)
I've never done such a thing to mine when putting new rotors on.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here's a pic of what the parking brake shoes look like

here is a pic of what the mechanism sort of looks like behind the rear rotor

#8 is the cylinder that expands outward when you pull the parking brake handle, and it expands the shoes against the inside of the rear rotor. in the middle of #8 is a thing you can rotate it to force the shoes outward more when the parking brake handle is not engaged. it's very simple.
what will happen is if the car is driven with the parking brake left on it can kill the shoes, or if your in the rust belt and water gets in there rust will form and lock things up until you drive then break the parking shoe. or the mechanism can rust completely to the backing plate like it did on my truck and you can pull or depress the parking brake which is a spring loaded cable but never move the shoes.
all that needs to be done is to remove the rear rotor on each side then turn the adjuster on the cylinder to get the shoes expanded as much as possible while still being able to get the rear rotor back on. then when you pull the parking brake handle the shoes will engage quickly. and you don't need the shoes in pristine condition, it only needs to have a little bit of shoe material on each side for it to work. but if the shoes are really shot, you can buy a parking brake kit which includes the shoes #3 along with all the other parts in the pic expect the backing plate #1 and #2. if you tear into it, you also want to grease up #8 and #5 with brake caliper grease.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I've never done such a thing to mine when putting new rotors on.
If the bore of your new rotor matches the old one closely, there's no need.

It's possible that a change could make the mechanism tighter instead of looser, but in that case - the pads would burn down if any drag is introduced from a smaller bore.

In Pittsburgh, you'd definitely notice if the e-Brakes were loose! (I miss the hills and need to take a trip sometime soon...)
Old 01-08-2014, 03:32 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
In Pittsburgh, you'd definitely notice if the e-Brakes were loose! (I miss the hills and need to take a trip sometime soon...)
I'm in the northern suburbs where it's much more normal... er... flatter
Old 02-23-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Old 03-01-2014, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
here's a pic of what the parking brake shoes look like

here is a pic of what the mechanism sort of looks like behind the rear rotor

#8 is the cylinder that expands outward when you pull the parking brake handle, and it expands the shoes against the inside of the rear rotor. in the middle of #8 is a thing you can rotate it to force the shoes outward more when the parking brake handle is not engaged. it's very simple.
what will happen is if the car is driven with the parking brake left on it can kill the shoes, or if your in the rust belt and water gets in there rust will form and lock things up until you drive then break the parking shoe. or the mechanism can rust completely to the backing plate like it did on my truck and you can pull or depress the parking brake which is a spring loaded cable but never move the shoes.
all that needs to be done is to remove the rear rotor on each side then turn the adjuster on the cylinder to get the shoes expanded as much as possible while still being able to get the rear rotor back on. then when you pull the parking brake handle the shoes will engage quickly. and you don't need the shoes in pristine condition, it only needs to have a little bit of shoe material on each side for it to work. but if the shoes are really shot, you can buy a parking brake kit which includes the shoes #3 along with all the other parts in the pic expect the backing plate #1 and #2. if you tear into it, you also want to grease up #8 and #5 with brake caliper grease.
Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
How do you adjust the star piece? The one on the bottom? I see nothing on top
Old 03-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Save the manuals!

It's the same thing. The picture is upside down from the diagram above it.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you get ebrake working?

Quick Reply: E brake