General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

missing ground wires

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 10:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missing ground wires

Hi all ..have a problem with my 2000 Camaro ls1... long story short I'm missing the 3 ground wires that goes behind the driver side head...I ran my hand throght the harness and can't seem to find it...I read on here that its the pcm ground ??? Not sure...what should I do? Car turns over slow and idles weird for about 5 seconds but normal after that..any help will be appreciated ...thanks guys
Old 01-08-2014, 10:29 PM
Teching In

I have another problem also...my auto tranny shifts kinda late.(.I'm driving normal through local streets).it shifts at around 2-2200 rpm..my other ls1 I had didn't do that ..or maybe I didn't notice it..idk..and when I'm driving ,I'm in the last gear , I hit the breaks and the gears doesn't shift back down till Im at 5mph...????? I just got the tranny rebuilt thinking it would be the fix...it did the same with the old tranny...I'm stuck on this one
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Come on guys...anyone?.. can I just bolt on a ground on the head to the firewall? ..but I think its the pcm ground that's suppose to be back there..how do i run a ground from the pcm?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Bump....anyone?????
Old 01-11-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How long have you had the car? Did a previous owner do any backyard work on it the would have effected the ground wires? Did a previous owner have a tune done that changed the shifts points of the trans?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Bought the car 6 months ago....don't really know the history of it..neither did the person I bought it from...what I can see in the engine bay is that the side wall of the engine compartment has oil splatters everywhere ..size of a pin head.. Mainly on the driver side..(thinking motor blew and they put in another) ..I got the tranny rebuilt and when the tranny was out I took a look behind the motor and seems like the block is painted silver...looks new or a rebuilt one...everything looks good ....no leaks anywhere...got the new tranny on thinking the wierd shifting would go away but it's still the same ...I changed out all the sensors also..iac ,tps , maf , did a full tuneup ...fuel filter,flushed everything , plugs and wires, ...got a new stock ported tb also thinking the old one was sticking..new alt , new water pump ....still the same...the motor does have a lot of miles...145k... Hope the motor is not on it's way out..the thing is that when I drive it normal it seems very sluggish..very heavy feeling like I have my car full of people...but when I floor it, it wakes up and hauls...without the ground wires wouldnt the car just not start?..sorry for the long post...thanks for the reply
Old 01-13-2014, 10:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when the tranny was out did you look at the back of the heads and thats when you noticed there was no ground wires?
Old 01-13-2014, 11:16 PM
Teching In

I think they did put in another motor cuz of the oil splatters everywhere (blown motor) and underneath the windshield wiper where the metal is at, it's all bent upwards like the intake was hitting it trying to yank out the motor from the top..d-bags...I scanned the car and all it tells me is o2s , cats bad ...and tps low voltage..new tps in there...should I just take it to a tuner and let them figure it out...I did all I can on my side already...hope u guys can help me figure this out..thanks again
Old 01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
Teching In

I didn't look for the grounds at that time..(I should of) i just wanted my new tranny in there..I didn't look for them till now ...was reading up on this site about the car being sluggish and members said to check the grounds...but if the PCM is not grounded , wouldnt the car not start at all? Maybe the grounded it somewhere else...gonna check again when I have time
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM
Teching In

The motor seems like its working itself pretty hard also..normal driving..kinda loud...no knocks or ticks but just loud engine noise ...like the fan is on all the time...there was an ice storm here where I'm at a couple of weeks ago and I noticed the fan would stay on..always...it was 18 degrees out..??
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

reach behind the intake or crawl under the car, unless they cut the grounds out of the harness they should be there.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've read where guys have added ground wires, or moved them. But yea if my car I'd take it to a speed shop that does engine swaps. Labor is higher but they know every bolt
Old 01-13-2014, 11:43 PM
Teching In

I did run my hands behind the intake and followed the PCM harness..I didn't feel or see any loose wire or grounds wires...but I'll check from underneath in the morning....man I have so much problem with this car...sorry for all my complaints..spent a lot on parts and labor and still can't get it to run right
Old 01-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Think I will have to do that...last option
Old 01-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Anyone have any clue why my car does the weird shifts?

Quick Reply: missing ground wires